Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just bought a 2000 Vulcan 750 and it seemed fine for test drive, but I rode it in town and pulled it home on a trailer, i can’t get it to go any faster than 55, if I hit 56 it bogs down and won’t accelerate past 55 anything slower it runs great almost seems like it has a govenor on it any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us. Congratulations on your new ride. Don‘t have your model so will have to wait until there members who have 750’s contribute their knowledge. Just wanted to thank you for becoming a member of the forum. Here is a link to the factory repair manual so you can become familiar with your bike. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Love the bike a lot better than my 85 magma, just not quite as fast right now

·
Registered
177 Posts
750 owner here. This sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Possibly clogged main jets in the carb or the butterflies in the carb aren’t opening all the way throwing the A/F mixture off when you try to get on it. Rev the motor up in neutral and see if it bogs at high RPMs. If the splines for the final drive are worn or the clutch was slipping it would rev high but acceleration would be poor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found out the front brake was sticking a little, taking them off i was able to gain 10 mph. now when i hit 60-65 itll will lurch forward and bog down i can push through it and get to 70 but it does it the whole time, doesnt feel safe. Mmart i agree it sounds like a fuel problem i have checked the filters and they seem it be clean, i havnt yet taken the carbs apart, in neutral i can red line the tach. when i get up to speed it almost feels like the rev limiter do they ever mess up?? Thank you

·
Registered
177 Posts
There is no rev limiter on the 750, if the bike is lurching that could be the clutch slipping. That maybe just an adjustment needed. The other things that come to mind are with the carb, is it stock? If so there is a vent hose that can’t get directly into the wind at high speed or it’ll mess with the vacuum pressure in the carb and cause the bike to bog down. Lastly what “filters” are you checking? Do you mean the air filters? Because there are no fuel filters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no rev limiter on the 750, if the bike is lurching that could be the clutch slipping. That maybe just an adjustment needed. The other things that come to mind are with the carb, is it stock? If so there is a vent hose that can’t get directly into the wind at high speed or it’ll mess with the vacuum pressure in the carb and cause the bike to bog down. Lastly what “filters” are you checking? Do you mean the air filters? Because there are no fuel filters.
the fuel filters are in the tank, and i beleive the carb is stock, i will check into the clutch thank you

·
Registered
177 Posts
The fuel “filter” is part of the petcock, was curious if you had another one in line because that wouldn’t be a stock set up.
As far as the clutch adjustment goes, there are two cable adjusters. One is at the clutch handle on the handle bar and the other is along the downtube of the frame on the left side. Follow the cable under the bike to the lever right above the oil level sight glass. I have a pic attached of what the clutch looks like when it’s MISALIGNED, the rib on the case and the slot on the lever SHOULD be lined up. If you can’t achieve the alignment with the adjusters you can unbolt the lever, line it up in the correct spot, then use the adjusters to take up the cable slack. One key thing when adjusting the cable is to have the bike upright on the stand or at the very least have the handle bars straight. Make your adjustments then make sure the clutch has free play with the handle bars pointing all the way to either side.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fuel “filter” is part of the petcock, was curious if you had another one in line because that wouldn’t be a stock set up.
As far as the clutch adjustment goes, there are two cable adjusters. One is at the clutch handle on the handle bar and the other is along the downtube of the frame on the left side. Follow the cable under the bike to the lever right above the oil level sight glass. I have a pic attached of what the clutch looks like when it’s MISALIGNED, the rib on the case and the slot on the lever SHOULD be lined up. If you can’t achieve the alignment with the adjusters you can unbolt the lever, line it up in the correct spot, then use the adjusters to take up the cable slack. One key thing when adjusting the cable is to have the bike upright on the stand or at the very least have the handle bars straight. Make your adjustments then make sure the clutch has free play with the handle bars pointing all the way to either side.
Will check that out when i get off work thank you for being so helpful

·
Registered
177 Posts
No worries glad to help, this forum and the other I use heavily “vn750.com” have been a staple for me to keep my bike roadworthy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts