Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this vn900c a few weeks ago. It will not fire right up. Usually I have to cycle the starter a couple times before it will fire. Even if it's been running and it's only been off for a minute. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
424 Posts
The 900 is a real bear to start if you don't wait for the fuel pump to cycle completely. NEVER hit the starter right after you turn the key, wait 10 sec's or until all of the noise stops. Yup it is a pain but will start good after the fuel pressure is up.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
That fuel pressure comes up almost instantly, so the "prime" should not be an issue.
How many miles on it?
Any aftermarket modifications, pipes, fuel processor, etc?
Have you checked the plugs?

Post back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
check and see if it has a power commander 3 on it, if so, that is your problem. I put one on my 900 custom and sent it back in exchange for the fi2000r because starting was such a horrible issue. Now it starts smooth as silk. Everyone that i've heard from that has a pc3 has the same problem too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check and see if it has a power commander 3 on it, if so, that is your problem. I put one on my 900 custom and sent it back in exchange for the fi2000r because starting was such a horrible issue. Now it starts smooth as silk. Everyone that i've heard from that has a pc3 has the same problem too.
How can I check for that? What do I look for?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sounds like you had the wrong map installed in the power commander.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried about every map available, even put it on the zero map and it did the same thing. Had to keep the key on for a good 45 seconds for it to start as it should. Contacted funkier and they said most vn900s had the same problem. And it wasn't worth it to me to deal with the starting issue, then to get the most out of it have someone who may or may not know anything charge me 200$ (at least) to destroy my rear tire and run the &[email protected]! Out of my motor to dyno it and maybe get me a couple more horses out of her. Got the pipes for the sound, built the intake for looks more than anything, just wanted to richen up the mix a bit (not too much like cobra wants ya too though).
If you look around under the seat there would be a computer module about the size of a pack of smokes that says power commander 3 on it. Or it's also possible you have a weak fuel pump or glitchy ecu that's making it slow to prime and therefore slow to start. If there's high miles on it maybe it needs the valves adjusted. If there's a really good bike mechanic around that's where I'd go. Power commander is just the first thing I'd check for, some have great luck with em, some don't. Hope ya get it right man, rock on;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts