Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all, is there a traditional thing to do with the bells once you’ve gone down? Throw them away, put them on your key chain, or put them on the new bike?

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Title says it all, is there a traditional thing to do with the bells once you’ve gone down? Throw them away, put them on your key chain, or put them on the new bike?
I would return it for a full refund under the Lemon Laws...obviously it was defective. :serious:

Glad you're ok, my friend :good:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wife gave it too me, did you change you’re response there post #2? Didn’t used to say something to the effect of “you’re still alive aren’t you” which was my wife’s reasoning too.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
You are Okay? That is good! There is a story behind the bike going down that you can share with us? I carry a total of 6 anti gremlin and Angel bells on my bike. 2 from the kids, 2 from the grand sons, 1 from the dog and 1 from my Sweet Babboo! How badly damaged was the bike?

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
So that's what that bell was I cut off my new used bike? Heck, I'm old enough I 'tinkle without the need for a bell.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The bell is meant to keep Gremlins from causing problems, not prevent accidents or endow us riders with more sense and improved coordination/reflexes. Unless you went down due to a mechanical malfunction it was operating within normal parameters. Therefore, it can go on your repaired bike or your new bike. If no more bikes in your future, place it on your key chain....or better yet, on your loved ones car.

JMHO

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wife gave it too me, did you change you’re response there post #2? Didn’t used to say something to the effect of “you’re still alive aren’t you” which was my wife’s reasoning too.
Yes I did. I wanted to find out how you got your bell. If a loved one gave it to you then take it and put it back on your new bike. It's good luck for you. Plus I'm really glad your still alive :smile2:

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Rider's ED Class...Pics and narrative to follow, I hope !!!

We NEED the story !!!
Just because it may save someone else's tail someday...
Glad you're OK, so let's hear it...
Get any COOL scars ???
Pics of those scars AND you're bike, will go a long way with the new riders here.

Like a 60's - 70's Drivers ED class video !!!
I can't wait !!!

Let'er BUCK...Seven of Nine !!!
Luckymann77

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Was the bike totaled???

·
Registered
126 Posts
The bell is meant to keep Gremlins from causing problems, not prevent accidents or endow us riders with more sense and improved coordination/reflexes. Unless you went down due to a mechanical malfunction it was operating within normal parameters. Therefore, it can go on your repaired bike or your new bike. If no more bikes in your future, place it on your key chain....or better yet, on your loved ones car.

JMHO
Philosophy, and good too! Brilliant!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will post pictures later of the bike and injuries (and video if I can get the copies from CHP).

OK so story goes . . .

I Was following a car in the “fast lane” of a two lane road (two lanes in my direction of travel, so technically it was a four lane road with a raised and cemented center devide) with more than enough room for a truck to come into my lane, a truck did so (came into my lane), I switched into the “slow lane” accelerated to pass . . . and the truck decided he didn’t want to be in that lane and came back into “my” lane (the slow lane) and took me out . . . Truck made contact with the bike, bike went down (the bike must have flipped, I figure this because of the damage being to both sides of the bike).
I folded like a taco, (only way I know this is I seen the video) knees and below and my elbow on my left side are what hit the ground, (or should I say is where I hurt the most, my left ribs too) I also substained road rash on the left side of my stomach.
Had my biking jacket, jeans, and my Jerry Rice inspired athletic high tops on, of course a helmet too (full face).
Once everything stopped “rolling”, the bike was situated underneath and damaging a car (suv type thing) that was at a stop sign at the “exit” of an intersection. I stopped rolling like a taco at the “entrance” of said intersection. Truck had already left the scene . . . Damn bastards!
I did a quick accesement of myself . . . raised my hands wiggled and felt my fingers, wiggled and felt my toes, shook and felt my feet, bent my legsat the knees, just to make sure I wasn’t missing any movement of those, stood up and jumped (that was to check everything else in between). Then I started letting everyone around know that I was good. There were several people that stopped and were standing around (I will call all of them my angels) making sure I was ok. I was ok, but in shock mode (I guess), but I kept telling them “I was alive and could jump” and I demonstrated each time I said this, so everything was fine . . . CHP showed up (took my report, and the witnesses statements) ambulance showed up (I denied care), tow truck finally showed up and I had the bike towed home.

I Will post more of my experience of the whole thing once the insurance situation is all settled.

The “story” I just told is what happened, I will get into more detail later, after like I said, the insurance situation is settled.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
So glad you are OK...

What a great story !!!
Hope you get a settlement worthy of your pain, suffering and the loss of your bike...
I'm all for Bikers getting double the normal settlement, if there is such a thing...
Cagers would be more courteous and careful when maneuvering their 2000lb+ vehicles knowing that the fines would be greater...
Bikers should have the same "protection" as road crews with the doubling of fines...
They think that "driving is an American right."
Nope,
It's a "PRIVILEGE"!!!
Which can, and probably should in more cases, be revoked !!!

Maybe it's time to resurrect a thread I started a while back..."What was your closest call?"
Lots of similar stories, and some with near misses, along with how situations were avoided...
Good stuff...

Yep,
I'm going to head on over and do that now...
With riding season upon us, hopefully, and lots of newer riders hitting the roads, hopefully NOT...
The sharing of experiences may very well prove to be invaluable...

Lesson learned here is:
People suck when having to take blame for your injuries...
They will hit you, make you crash
and then drive away in fear or stupidity ...

Really glad you survived to tell us your story...

Let'er Buck !!!
Seven of Nine !!!
Luckymann77

·
Registered
279 Posts
Glad you are ok, and thanks for telling the story, because we can all learn from it. But, I have some questions:
1. How close were you behind the truck before you made your move. I ask because if you were back far enough the truck driver should have known you were there (assuming the truck size lets the driver see you). If you were close to the back of the truck and it was a large box style truck the driver may not even know you were there.
2. What style of truck was it? Big box van style? Pickup truck? Load on the back? Was the truck big enough that you were easily hid behind it?
3. What mirrors were on the truck? None? Big ones? Could you see the driver's face in the mirror as you went around it?
4. Where were you relative to the truck as you passed it when it came over? Asking about if you were in the blind spot when the truck moved over? Were you near the back of the truck or alongside where the driver could see you?
5. When you pulled out around to pass, did you do it quickly? Or just slightly faster than the truck? As you passed the truck did you use the center of the right lane or well over to the right of the right lane?
6. As you moved around to pass the truck did you keep an eye on the right front tire of the truck? Especially important is position of the tire relative to the lane line. A vehicle that is even a "little" closer to the right line of the lane is a huge danger sign of possible action by the vehicle being overtaken.

Note that five of these have to do with visibility, both the truck driver seeing/not seeing you, and also you seeing the clues of the driver (face in the mirror, eyes looking your way). The sixth one is a clue to what the driver may/may not do. While it seems I am pointing faults (at you), the point is to analyze everything you did to get in that situation so to learn from it and not do it again, or have it done to YOU again. The truck driver is obviously at fault, and its reprehensible that the truck driver left the scene, criminal actually.

The real emphasis of this is to understand everything that you brought to the situation. I am not excusing the truck driver in any way at all. Plus I am not saying you were solely at fault. But unless you, and all of us, really understand many more factors of the crash none of us or you can learn what to do and not do to avoid the crash. Its great that you are ok and able to report back to us, thank you. But its not enough to report the crash as "a truck came into MY lane and my right of way and caused the crash." You HAVE to really study everything about and especially BEFORE the crash to determine contributing factors. Doing this builds you rider intuition and especially your situational awareness.

In my opinion, mount the Gremlin bell on a small plaque and hang it in the garage as a reminder to think about everything you bring to every ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Will post pictures later of the bike and injuries (and video if I can get the copies from CHP).

OK so story goes . . .

I Was following a car in the “fast lane” of a two lane road (two lanes in my direction of travel, so technically it was a four lane road with a raised and cemented center devide) with more than enough room for a truck to come into my lane, a truck did so (came into my lane), I switched into the “slow lane” accelerated to pass . . . and the truck decided he didn’t want to be in that lane and came back into “my” lane (the slow lane) and took me out . . . Truck made contact with the bike, bike went down (the bike must have flipped, I figure this because of the damage being to both sides of the bike).
I folded like a taco, (only way I know this is I seen the video) knees and below and my elbow on my left side are what hit the ground, (or should I say is where I hurt the most, my left ribs too) I also substained road rash on the left side of my stomach.
Had my biking jacket, jeans, and my Jerry Rice inspired athletic high tops on, of course a helmet too (full face).
Once everything stopped “rolling”, the bike was situated underneath and damaging a car (suv type thing) that was at a stop sign at the “exit” of an intersection. I stopped rolling like a taco at the “entrance” of said intersection. Truck had already left the scene . . . Damn bastards!
I did a quick accesement of myself . . . raised my hands wiggled and felt my fingers, wiggled and felt my toes, shook and felt my feet, bent my legsat the knees, just to make sure I wasn’t missing any movement of those, stood up and jumped (that was to check everything else in between). Then I started letting everyone around know that I was good. There were several people that stopped and were standing around (I will call all of them my angels) making sure I was ok. I was ok, but in shock mode (I guess), but I kept telling them “I was alive and could jump” and I demonstrated each time I said this, so everything was fine . . . CHP showed up (took my report, and the witnesses statements) ambulance showed up (I denied care), tow truck finally showed up and I had the bike towed home.

I Will post more of my experience of the whole thing once the insurance situation is all settled.

The “story” I just told is what happened, I will get into more detail later, after like I said, the insurance situation is settled.
Never refuse medical care. Insurance will have a field day with that by saying that your injuries were not so bad that it required you to seek care and in court maybe have to pay way less because of it. next day aches and pains will prove me out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts