Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 classic lt 2000 - Bike Turns over really slow ?

As some of you know I just got this bike ..
And when I bought it the battery was weak and barley turned over.
However did start and was able to go for a test ride.

Been working on the bike .. and charged the battery to full ..
Its looks to be an OLD battery .. But took a charge.
But still the starter turns over really slow ? Way slower then my VTX 1800

Sooo ... I went and got a NEW Battery AGM Battery Same thing Slow Starter Speed. Returned Battery to store.

Soooo ... I went and got a Lithium Ion 300 CCA Battery.
Because everyone seems to think it makes the bike Turn Over FASTER!
Same thing Slow Starter Turn over.

I guess I was wondering if this is Kinda Normal ? For this bike ?
It DOES HAVE A HUGE ENGINE! LOL

Or if I got a bad starter > Or Maybe Bad Connections to the starter ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not sure what "slow" is, because it's a relative term, but I will say that my previous bike, a Ninja 500 turned on almost instantly (when warm). The Vulcan 2000 in my experience will take about 0.5-1.0 seconds to start even when warm. I suspect it's a function of simply being a large engine.

That's been my experience with larger automobile and truck engines, too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what "slow" is, because it's a relative term, but I will say that my previous bike, a Ninja 500 turned on almost instantly (when warm). The Vulcan 2000 in my experience will take about 0.5-1.0 seconds to start even when warm. I suspect it's a function of simply being a large engine.
I mean the Starter Cranks / Turns Over Very Slow ...

One more thing to look at... the decomp solenoid. When mine was stuck closed the engine cranked very slowly.
Ok Thanks I will have to take a look at that !

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more thing to look at... the decomp solenoid. When mine was stuck closed the engine cranked very slowly.
I looked into the decompression solenoid Problem.
However Can not get the darn cover off ! Because of the Pipes ;(
The pipes are covering the " Bottom Bolt " there is no way to get it out
without taking the pipes off

Thank you .. for the feed back!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You might consider posting a video of your bike cranking. Some bikes crank a LOT faster than others. If I were used to a Goldwing or a Concours, which crank up like F1 cars; and went to my 900 or a Harley Big-Twin; I'd think something was wrong if I didn't know better. If you post the video and other V2K owners say "Yeah that's slow", then I'd continue investigating that decomp solenoid.

If you've got a smartphone, chances are it's got an 'upload to YouTube' functionality.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I looked into the decompression solenoid Problem.
However Can not get the darn cover off ! Because of the Pipes ;(
The pipes are covering the " Bottom Bolt " there is no way to get it out
without taking the pipes off

Thank you .. for the feed back!
I was able to get to mine by just taking the front pipe off the head & swinging it back a bit. It's easy with an extension & universal joint (this could possibly vary depending on what pipes you have). I agree that this is likely the cause, and easy to fix.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Decompression Solenoid is probably your issue, but when it comes to electronics, it always good to give it a good looking over for dirty connections and not just at the battery, but the ground and at the starter too.

Also agree with Romans. This is an internet forum full of people willing to help, but one persons "ping" might be a "peck", and a "clunk" might be a "thunk". Videos with sound are awesome.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decompression Solenoid is probably your issue, but when it comes to electronics, it always good to give it a good looking over for dirty connections and not just at the battery, but the ground and at the starter too.

Also agree with Romans. This is an internet forum full of people willing to help, but one persons "ping" might be a "peck", and a "clunk" might be a "thunk". Videos with sound are awesome.
Well ... I will see if that works ...
Just "seems" Slow .. I will try and make a video and post.
And see what you guys think .. before dismantling the bike ! LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts