Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd better check with yous guys before I head to the dealership...
I'll try to explain this as best as I can.
When starting the bike cold, I turn on the key, wait for the weird little buzz to stop, then hit the starter. It starts out with a "chug chug chug" , then gets a little faster "chugchugchug", then raps out to high RPMs. After a couple seconds really high rpms, it idles back down to normal. It's done this since I bought it last year (it's got 13,600 miles on it). Anybody every had their bike do this?
BTW, battery is new, charging is perfect, new plugs, new air filter.
Talked to the dealer and he said something is wrong...shouldn't be doing that.
He said he's been so busy, he'll have to keep my bike for at least 2 weeks.
Would like to see it I can get this figured out so I won't be without my baby for that long.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thought I'd better check with yous guys before I head to the dealership...
I'll try to explain this as best as I can.
When starting the bike cold, I turn on the key, wait for the weird little buzz to stop, then hit the starter. It starts out with a "chug chug chug" , then gets a little faster "chugchugchug", then raps out to high RPMs. After a couple seconds really high rpms, it idles back down to normal. It's done this since I bought it last year (it's got 13,600 miles on it). Anybody every had their bike do this?
BTW, battery is new, charging is perfect, new plugs, new air filter.
Talked to the dealer and he said something is wrong...shouldn't be doing that.
He said he's been so busy, he'll have to keep my bike for at least 2 weeks.
Would like to see it I can get this figured out so I won't be without my baby for that long.
You might consider a different dealer. I don't think this one knows what he's talking about. It is normal for the 900 to kick into a high idle in steps immediately after starting. It'll remain in high idle for a couple minutes before settling down into a normal idle speed. I think it does this to make sure that everything gets oiled properly before taking off riding.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew this was gonna be hard to explain. I know all about the high idle. That's not the issue. It's the low chugging at cold start-up that has me worried. Sometimes it chugs so slow that it sounds like it's gonna die, then raps out to near redline, then idles back down.
I trust the dealer. Never brought anything to him before to fix, but he buys alot of BRP parts from me. He's a good guy. Never hear any complaints about him.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What is your Idle rpm set at. Sounds like it may be low. The High Idle is normal for two reasons, cold engine and low voltage. The chuging indicates not enough idle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. I've never played with the idle adjustment. So, just turn it up a little and see what happens?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just walked back and talked to our techs, and one of them had an ECHO brand pulse engine tachometer. He said just set it for the type of engine and hold it up to the plug wires and it'll tell me what the rpms are. I'll give that a try. Should be around 950 right?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, MOM says 1000 +- 50 rpms. I try to keep mine around 965. I have a power commander which gives me the rpms so I can keep an eye on it.

When you check the idle remember to let it warm up and drop high idle first.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Normal. If it bothers you when it's starts off slow then give it a shot of throttle. If you ever go where there's a more moderate climate LOL you'll see the bike starts up at a slightly higher idle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty sure I got it handled. Idle was set way to low. Bumped it up a couple hundred RPM, now it starts better.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Glad to be of help. Should run very solid now. And keep the battery up while your sitting at a light.

Ride safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts