Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the military and recieved orders to Korea. That means I must leave my baby in storage for over a year without her being started or able to be rolled. Any suggestions on bike stands to get the wheels off the ground?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'll keep it running for you for the next year. :D Sorry, I don't have an answer about the stand. Good luck on your tour of duty, and thanks for serving!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Slyder,
Welcome to the forum, dude just get one of those bike lifts. They're between $75.00 and $100.00 depending on what's on sale, it'll get your tire's off the ground and still be useful when you get back. Do your research on long term storage and try not to freeze your butt off in Korea. Did four deployments in the 80's, Osan to Kunsan. Great bunch of troops, go easy on the Soju it'll kill ya.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll keep it running for you for the next year. :D Sorry, I don't have an answer about the stand. Good luck on your tour of duty, and thanks for serving!!!
What part of Utah are you in? I am in Clearfield and it looks like we have the same bike color and all. Except mine is a little dinged now. I lowered it to fast and damaged the tank on it. Man I hate that.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
The bike dolly is nice, But it wouldn't take weight off the tires.

aaron do you have that lift? I have been looking to get a lift. I actually bought one from Northern and returned it right away. It wouldn't fit the bottom of our frame all that good. I would have to make some funky adapter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
jacks

I tried fork jacks, the problem was getting a stable balance without putting weight directly on the pan.

I ended up with a screw jack that has a large square plate and adjustment slots. I set the jack on masonite that eliminates conductivity during storage as the jack ipicks up on the frame and the entire bike is off the ground.

I have see the same jack on ebay.

Let some air out of your tires and put fresh oil in it for storage. Some fogging oil into the air intake wouldn't hurt either. Drain the gas or put seafoam or stabil into the tank. Get a battery tender and your set. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The bike dolly is nice, But it wouldn't take weight off the tires.

aaron do you have that lift? I have been looking to get a lift. I actually bought one from Northern and returned it right away. It wouldn't fit the bottom of our frame all that good. I would have to make some funky adapter.
I bought this one and love it. It lets me bring the bike up to my thighs and it has straps to hold it in position. Lift is 30" I think. Of course I'm old and can't squat as good as you young bucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99887

·
Registered
15 Posts
storage

u need to fill up gas tank to top and put in 1 full can of sea foam, plus throw a battery tender on it. always have tank full in storage, a partial tank level could allow rust to form which is hard to get out. if tires are exposed to sun cover them. did a little korea action myself in the navy. all i remember is a nasty hangover!!!:rolleyes:

i just purchased the harbor freight jack and it works well. cost about 69.00 with coupon. sears/craftsman makes them too but price is higher. the jack from scootworks only lifts one tire at a time, you need both off ground for long storage. plug up muffler ends is also good idea

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
If you get one be sure to rest the jack on the stops, don't leave the pressure on the hydraulic pump.
I have heard this for years and just can't find a real answer to why. I worked in the hydraulics industry for near ten years and have seen 250 ton cranes left for weeks at a time with the boom up and loaded. Didn't hurt them any more than it does to leave a jack loaded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts