Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I just posted in the intro thread, but Thursday night my bike started acting up. It ran just fine on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday; on Thursday night I tried to ride it to work and it started to sputter. At first it only did this at low speeds, but it slowly got progressively more frequent and started backfiring. I barely got it home. I'm not sure where I should start besides checking the plugs to see if they are fouled.

One thing to note: I did drop it once in my yard when I first started riding it. I'm worried that I might have messed something up when I did.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just fired her up this morning (after admittedly leaving her out in the rain; I was in such a rush to get to work that I forgot to throw the cover on her.) She ran fine at first on start up and even got about halfway around the block before issues started popping up. Again, mostly accelerating at low speeds at first then becoming more persistent. By the time I got her parked at home, cranking the throttle did nothing but create sputtering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of desperation, I took it for another test drive because... why not. I wanted to see if running it with the choke partially out would make it run better (it didn't) but did run into one more thing. While trying to pull out of the drive, it died. I don't mean the engine shut off. All electrical stuff stopped working. Then suddenly started working. I don't know what to make of this.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Out of desperation, I took it for another test drive because... why not. I wanted to see if running it with the choke partially out would make it run better (it didn't) but did run into one more thing. While trying to pull out of the drive, it died. I don't mean the engine shut off. All electrical stuff stopped working. Then suddenly started working. I don't know what to make of this.
Welcome Jeremy. You may have loose battery lost adapters. Check the Sticky at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi, Jeremy, and welcome to the forums.

It's always best to start with the easiest and/or cheapest to fix stuff, so start with those battery connections, including the negative cable's ground connection.

Chances are slim you ruined it by leaving it out in the rain -- every day, motorcycles around the world travel thousands and thousands of miles in the rain with no trouble at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that was the problem! The positive cable was really loose, and it was a bitch just to get it to come back on the battery. I am going to take it to a shop to have them look over the battery terminals to make sure everything is straight.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts