Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

At what bike speed are you guys shifting up ?
Looking to page 37 from Owner's Manual, seems to me it's to soon for shifting up. For instance, I shift to 5th gear, at about 80 km/h, not 45 km/h as written in Owner's Manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Lawyer talk, Vulcan S has the exact chart, don’t lug or over rev the motor or force gear changes and you’ll be fine.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, but the chart from manual shows to shift too early, IMHO. Just curious what is the reason behind ?

·
Registered
707 Posts
DON'T read the manual for shift points.
You take off and when the motor is starting to run fast you shift.
Then as you speed up and the motor is running fast again you shift, ect...

Two things -
you don't shift up too soon so that the motor can't run correctly, meaning is struggling to run fast enough,
And you don't hit the red line before you shift.

DON'T look at the tach/speedo to check when to shift, eyes on the road. You can feel/hear the motor for its speed.

You can take off slow and the shift point will be lower, or you want to get to 60mph fast and you gun it and the shift point is higher, either one is fine. There is no "set shift point"

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Manual , We don't need no stinking manual.

I just use the rev limiter as a shift indicator, works great and EVERYONE gets to share the delight of my DanMoto exhaust.:devil2:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DON'T read the manual for shift points.
You take off and when the motor is starting to run fast you shift.
Then as you speed up and the motor is running fast again you shift, ect...

Two things -
you don't shift up too soon so that the motor can't run correctly, meaning is struggling to run fast enough,
And you don't hit the red line before you shift.

DON'T look at the tach/speedo to check when to shift, eyes on the road. You can feel/hear the motor for its speed.

You can take off slow and the shift point will be lower, or you want to get to 60mph fast and you gun it and the shift point is higher, either one is fine. There is no "set shift point"
I'm doing exactly as you wrote. I was just wondering why in the manual are those values...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts