Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the story, installed rumble road ultra amplified 200w speakers about a week and a half ago. for the pass two day, something start to come up.
there was one time in the afternoon at my work when i was about to go home. bike wont start when press the button. just that one time. but started after took the key out and put it back and try again.
2nd time is today, happen twice. right after i go in the parking lot put in neutral, and put the kick stand down, the bike shut off itself right the way. i thought i was still in gear but i double check it WAS on neutral. so that's kind weird.
and i move my bike from one parking spot to another, it shut down again when i put in neutral and put the kick stand down. isn't that weird ?

I think it might be the battery is weak because i listen to the music on the way to work and on the way home, since i installed i listen to it every ride.
I will try not to listen every time i ride and see if it stop shutting off..
let the battery charge a bit more.
anyone have other advice ? maybe i should get a battery tender/charger ?
please, thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would check all of the connections that you made for being loose or corroded. If your connections are clean, waterproof and tight, I would get a wiring diagram for you bike and start looking for loose or corroded connections to your ignition. I would also look to see if your wiring harness is being pulled tight by turning your bars to lock or when you are putting the kick stand down.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would check all of the connections that you made for being loose or corroded. If your connections are clean, waterproof and tight, I would get a wiring diagram for you bike and start looking for loose or corroded connections to your ignition. I would also look to see if your wiring harness is being pulled tight by turning your bars to lock or when you are putting the kick stand down.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I have an independant wiring for the speakers straght from the battery with a power switch. i never cut or touch any wire that was OEM when i install my speakers. I took off work about 25 minuts ago and it didnt shut me off when i park just 3 minuts ago. start up normal, shut off normal.
so i guess it's because my speaker was on everytime i ride. now the battery charged up more so its okay i guess.
anyone have good suggestion about battery tender or charger ?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
If, for whatever reason, you have to "depend" on a battery tender, you could find yourself in trouble. Do not drive any farther from home than you care to push on the return trip.
Eyeballing connections and wiring will not solve the problem.
The instructions say that the system must be wired to a "switched" power source and you did not do that. There is a good place to start.
After that, a system voltage check should be made. We can help you with that if you wish.
There could be an interlock problem too, but best to get the obvious repaired first.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If, for whatever reason, you have to "depend" on a battery tender, you could find yourself in trouble. Do not drive any farther from home than you care to push on the return trip.
Eyeballing connections and wiring will not solve the problem.
The instructions say that the system must be wired to a "switched" power source and you did not do that. There is a good place to start.
After that, a system voltage check should be made. We can help you with that if you wish.
There could be an interlock problem too, but best to get the obvious repaired first.
I do have a power on/off switch for the speakers just FYI. I will ride for couple more days without listening to the music and see if it happen again.
and i can get a volt meter from radioshack to see just how many voltage on the battery after couple days. if its a good charged up battery, how many volt should it be ?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I noted that you had installed a switch, but all it takes is one time to forget the switch and you come out to a dead battery. If you never forget, then all is well...forget once and "crap"! Most install their light bar on a switched source for the same reason. But it is up to you.

I see that your bike is a 2012. Did not notice that before. Is it not under warranty?
If so, I would take it in for this problem before digging any deeper. If the dealer can see evidence of someone messing around looking for this fault, they may deny coverage.

Post back.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I do have a power on/off switch for the speakers just FYI. I will ride for couple more days without listening to the music and see if it happen again.
and i can get a volt meter from radioshack to see just how many voltage on the battery after couple days. if its a good charged up battery, how many volt should it be ?
These batteries do not hold much charge and don't have much output so quite likely the speakers are drawing more than the system can charge.

·
Registered
424 Posts

Agree with all above.
Voltage with motor off should be 12.8 no lower than 12.5, at high rpm 13.6 to 14.5.

I got a voltage meter from Kuryakyn and mounted on the bike, cheap and easy to do and give a visuial indication of voltage at all times.

Here is the site for info, everybody sells them.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/872/led-battery-gauge

The stock battery only holds 12.8 volts, and the charging system only supplies 70 watts extra power go over that and your battery is discharging.
Low idle rpm will not generate enough power to supply the stock setup so any extra will be a drain on the battery.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I believe those amplified speakers are rated at 70W RMS per speaker @ 13.6VDC so 140W RMS for the system if it’s cranked up. Sounds like it’s asking a lot of the bikes electrical systems capacity especially if the volume is cranked up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree with all above.
Voltage with motor off should be 12.8 no lower than 12.5, at high rpm 13.6 to 14.5.

I got a voltage meter from Kuryakyn and mounted on the bike, cheap and easy to do and give a visuial indication of voltage at all times.

Here is the site for info, everybody sells them.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/872/led-battery-gauge

The stock battery only holds 12.8 volts, and the charging system only supplies 70 watts extra power go over that and your battery is discharging.
Low idle rpm will not generate enough power to supply the stock setup so any extra will be a drain on the battery.
thats so detail info im looking for, thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe those amplified speakers are rated at 70W RMS per speaker @ 13.6VDC so 140W RMS for the system if it’s cranked up. Sounds like it’s asking a lot of the bikes electrical systems capacity especially if the volume is cranked up.
They rated 70w rms thats after it amped up, it draw less from the battery thats why its call amplifier if im not mistaking. each amp should draw less than 70w than it amp up to 70w RMS.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for all of you guys helped me, thank you and i think a BATTERY GAUGE would help me monitor the usage of my battery. So far i stop listening to the music everyday and everything back to normal through out the week. what i did was i listen to it every other day or only listen to it single trip instead of round trip. everything work fine now and start right up every time. might not even need battery gauge after all but just a piece of mine i think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts