Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you take your hands off your handlebars at 50 mph (not recommended) would your bike go straight down the road, or steer left, or steer right? Mine steers right and I can't figure it out. I tried alignment and camber check. Any help. Vern

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
it'll pull right because of road crown. You might never notice in a properly aligned car, because toe is adjusted to compensate. A bike, however, doesn't have tie rods, nor would you want to adjust the alignment from square lol. It shouldn't veer, tho, just drift to the right.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steers right

Thanks for the reply. Nope, road crown is accounted for, also have same result with or without windshield. Vern

·
Registered
851 Posts
What tires are you running on? I had the stock dunlops and mine also pulled, I switched to pirelli mt66 the pulling stopped, much better handling on the straights and curves. I think dunlops have a mind of their own and they suck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can pop the throttle lock on mine and ride hands free with out any pulling.

I would check your rear wheel alignment. Check the alignment marks by the axle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, could be the tires

What tires are you running on? I had the stock dunlops and mine also pulled, I switched to pirelli mt66 the pulling stopped, much better handling on the straights and curves. I think dunlops have a mind of their own and they suck!

I have a Dunlap (EliteII). I would not have considered the tire as it is in good shape but I agree, that could be the problem. I wish the tire was closer to being worn out. Then it would be easier for me to replace. Anyway, I'll take a day or 2 and think on it. Question, what is your thought on replacing the front only? Thanks for the hint. Vern

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check

I can pop the throttle lock on mine and ride hands free with out any pulling.

I would check your rear wheel alignment. Check the alignment marks by the axle

I did check this and it check's Ok. Thanks Vern

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a Dunlap (EliteII). I would not have considered the tire as it is in good shape but I agree, that could be the problem. I wish the tire was closer to being worn out. Then it would be easier for me to replace. Anyway, I'll take a day or 2 and think on it. Question, what is your thought on replacing the front only? Thanks for the hint. Vern
I'v had the deal tell me i shouldn't run two different tires, but he could be saying that to get the sale! My dealer where i got my bike doesn't know his head from his ass, thats why i come here to get the right answers. Someone else will have to answer that question (sorry). I will tell you this, i put 7k on my first back tire and 7k on the second one and that when i decided i was done with dunlop and i put on the mt66 both front and back. To me it was like adding power steering to my bike, right now i have about 3500 on the back mt66 and it doesn't even look like its starting to wear yet. i'm hopeing to get a lot more mile for a lot less price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don' know

I'v had the deal tell me i shouldn't run two different tires, but he could be saying that to get the sale! My dealer where i got my bike doesn't know his head from his ass, thats why i come here to get the right answers. Someone else will have to answer that question (sorry). I will tell you this, i put 7k on my first back tire and 7k on the second one and that when i decided i was done with dunlop and i put on the mt66 both front and back. To me it was like adding power steering to my bike, right now i have about 3500 on the back mt66 and it doesn't even look like its starting to wear yet. i'm hopeing to get a lot more mile for a lot less price.

I noted in the owner's manual that you should use the same mfg. on front and back. Don't have any idea why. My back has 6+ 32nds and front 4 32nds of an inch left. Thats a little better then 1/2 new. I have had the bike only a few months. Other than this pulling problem I really enjoy her. Maybe I should bite the bullet and try the MT66's. Thanks Vern

·
Registered
851 Posts
I noted in the owner's manual that you should use the same mfg. on front and back. Don't have any idea why. My back has 6+ 32nds and front 4 32nds of an inch left. Thats a little better then 1/2 new. I have had the bike only a few months. Other than this pulling problem I really enjoy her. Maybe I should bite the bullet and try the MT66's. Thanks Vern
If you have 1/2 the life still i would ride it out! I got my mt66 tires from jakewilson.com, back was about $112 and the front was around $70. i did the tires myself and had the dealer rebalance them for about $30 ( it was easy) well good luck and have a safe ride!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine tracks straight really well. I have noticed that if I load one saddle bag with gear and the other is empty, the bike will pull in the direction of the weight. Maybe this is a stupid question, but you you have extra weight on the right hand side? Maybe if you put more weight on the left it would track straighter. Anyway, just throwing ideas out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts