Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i ran out of gas cool easy fix. I filled up and went to take off as soon as i started to let off the clutch the bike dies. I let it sit for awhile then i can go once it has cooled down i can make it around the block then cuts out. It idles fine and reves fine but the second i start to go it cuts out im not stalling or anything i know that. I just changed the petcock on it so i know its not that the fuel is coming out great but it just wont go once it gets warm. Any ideas on what is going on? Please help this is my only mode of transportation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like the kick stand switch? That would explain it but what about when im going down the road?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
once i had filled up at a gas station and soon there-after on the highway the bike died, what happened was I had filled up the tank too full and some gas got into the gas tank air vent hose and created a vacuum cutting off fuel to the carb which caused the bike to die on the highway 3 minutes after the fill-up

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That could also be it i topped it off being lazy and not wanting to go in and get my change

·
Registered
110 Posts
on my last bike, it had pulse generators - I dont think yours has these...but, when cool, they had continuity, and once the bike started to reach temp, they lost continuity, causing it not to fire and shutting off.

it sounds like maybe there is a similar issue with the kickstand switch that is caused when the bike is warm?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not sure brother i had my buddy pick it up and take it to the house when i get off here in a bit im going to drain some of the gas out and see if that works. If not then im going to disconnect the kick stand switch. Hopefully that should solve the problem. Any other ideas im all ears.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not the kick stand switch or the gas level drained some gas and disconnected the switch still doing it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
"It idles fine and reves fine but the second i start to go it cuts out im not stalling or anything i know that. I just changed the petcock on it so i know its not that the fuel is coming out great but it just wont go once it gets warm."

WHAT?

If it doesnt move it IS stalling.
And what about the petcock?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean that im not stalling it not that its not stalling. The original petcock worked off a vacuum which went out so it wouldnt let the gas leave the tank. I switched to a manual petcock 2 weeks back and havent had a problem till today.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so its officially not the kickatand switch i just bypassed it and still doing it. Any other ideas?

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
When you ran out of gas, you likely pulled rust, water or other crud from the bottom of your tank into the carb. Remove the carb float bowl and clean it out. Over time water collects in the bottom of the tank. Using Seafoam as instructed on the can and running it on reserve will keep the water from accumulating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts