Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened only twice, but it is rather alarming when it does. I will be accelerating from a stop or up a hill and then someone has to slow down in front of me or maybe I get to another intersection. When I suddenly go from acceleration to no throttle, the engine will sometimes just shut off instead of dropping back to idle.

The first time I was coming to a stop so I just pulled in the clutch, down shifted and restarted once was still. The second time I was continuing up the road and had to pull in the clutch and try to start it while rolling. She didn't catch the first time so I had to wait a year for the fuel pump to cycle and then it started on the 2nd go.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue. If so, do you know what might cause it and how to make it never happen again. So far it has not caused me any real problems. But I can easily imagine some situations where this could end badly. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I wish I could help, but here is a bump and tag for the answer...

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've had my bike dog down and what I've usually found was I turned on the ignition key and hit start before letting the pump cycle up. Then, about 5 minutes out on a cooler day, at a stop light when I try to accelerate the engine will bog down. Shutting off, turning it back on, allowing the pump to cycle and then hitting the start button corrects the whole thing.

Letting the pump cycle when initially starting up keeps it from happening altogether.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Never has happened to me but I've read about it on some other forums. Supposed to be caused in some instances from the idle speed being too slow. According to the Kawa service manual, it's supposed to be 1000 +/- 50 rpm at warm idle. Got mine set there, sounds a little fast, but it never has died on me.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise. Advancing the idle was one of the first things I did just on a hunch. Hopefully this will take care of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts