Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to use some of your esteemed wisdom on what I should buy and where the best price is for a stand or lift to do maintance on my 2010 Vulcan custom, I have not had a bike without a center stand in quite a while and need some information on what everyone else has that works. Any help would be appreciated, thanks ahead of time.:confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
ATV jack

I used an ATV jack like this to do my rear tire.

These bike are low it was a little precarious but once position right bike was stable. Left bike on jack took wheel / tire to shop to have them install new tire. Changing tires at home is not worth the saving. 0:)

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641776_200641776?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive > Automotive Lifts > Motorcycle Stands&utm_campaign=Strongway&utm_content=46238&msclkid=0f80fe9121ec1c3ca012a3ab5ecbc7e0

·
Registered
29 Posts
The jack shown in the service manual is a pancake-style jack. I purchased a similar kind off Amazon (there are all different types, these are generally made in China). Most hardware stores would probably sell these, they're the cheaper variety. The lifting part extends across the width of the motorcycle and there are rubber contact points that you can adjust so the underside doesn't get scratched.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Got a motorcycle/ATV jack from O'Reilly's Auto on sale for $49. Only problem is that one has to be careful when positioning it under the 900 frame as the rubber padded lift points are barely wide enough. Otherwise it works well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
@Barry Dupler
I've used all 3 kinds of jacks shown in the pictures with a VN900 Custom. They all work but it takes a few minutes with each one to find the proper spot... In most cases you won't need to lift both wheels off the ground, but if you want that option choose the model accordingly. The Scissor type ones cost less. The Craftsman one goes on sale every now and then for around $100.

MAKE SURE YOU DOUBLE CHECK the nuts and bolts of any new jack before use.

be safe, have fun.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This one has some pretty good reviews and has a small footprint and starts at only 4" tall. This is most likely the one I will grab.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W997X6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bike lift

I've got one similar to the Craftsman (Machine Mart bike lift) to which I've bolted two hardwood runners to run along my 900 classics' frame rails. It works ok but I do have to put a couple of 1/2 inch thick flat pieces of wood behind the front and rear whees and wheel it onto them to get the clearance for the jack to go under. If I'm going to have the bike up for a while I use a couple of ratchet straps to secure the bike to the stand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
20 bucks! Balance is perfect. You can see the back tire is off the ground. If you move it forward a bit the front tire will be off. BONUS if you get cold you can burn it for warmth!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Also very nice for adjustment purposes (handlebars, pegs, backrests etc) since you can sit on the bike just like you are sitting when you ride with your feet on the boards/pegs. You can also sit on the pillion for testing new pegs/floorboards, backrest etc. Even two up. Put something under the wheels if you want the bike to be perfectly level from front to back also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts