Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '08 V2K LT with possible warped front brake rotor(s). I've had the bike jack that just about everyone's got for a year it two but have never used it. I'm familiar with how to use it though. My question is do any of you have suggestions on securing the bike to prevent tip over? My shop has exposed rafters and I have plenty of the proper straps.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I strap mine to the exposed rafters in my carport, just don't tie it off to where it will pinch any cables or bend your bars. I doubt the bars are strong enough to sport the weight of the bike if it were to fall off the stand, well at the end of the bars. I use mine, but between the risers were they are the strongest.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The biggest thing to watch out for when removing a wheel is weight transfer to the other end of the bike. A milk crate with a peace of plywood or something on it under the other end would be a good idea.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I just use ratcheting tiedowns to tie mine to the jack.
Same. That's all you need to do.

If your taking the front wheel off, place the jack closer to the front of the bike, so it's lifting the front more than the back.

When your done and ready to lower the bike.. keep a FIRM grip on the bike when you do, so it won't lean either direction.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just a word of advice the jacks everyone sells, scissor style, is most stable front to back, Or in bike direction left to right, with the jack lifted all the way up the higher you go the father back it puts the weight over the middle of the base making it more stable. But if your removing the wheels i would suggest an additional jack (bottle or floor) to give you another point to lift the weight and make the bike more stable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi i work on bikes for a living and find the safest method is to leave the bike on the side stand and put a jack under the front frame rail some where near the floor board and lift up.the bike can be safely leaned over and front wheel removed.you can do the same for the rear this way just find a suitable place near the back of the bike. i have one of the jacks that will lift the whole bike in the center but stability is always a concern.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
When changing my forks to progressives, last winter, I used the conventional center jack and support the rear by sliding a car ramp up under the tire so it was just snug. Whena the weight did transfer it just sat the rear tier on the ramp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts