Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, hopefully you can help me: i have a 2006 900 vn Classic..11,500 mi just had the oil plugs and battery rear tire belt and oil serviced at a bike shop..fuel pump replaced...july 2010.. i broke my arm in a bar fight on holloween..so the bike sat for about 3 month out doors under a tarp. i did try to go out side an rev it up at least once a week.
i connected a battery charger to it last month because the was no juice and would not start. no light would come on.
i got it running.. went with friends to a bar for green bay /bears game , and stupidly left the key in the ignition all game came back no juice i called AAA for a battery jump bike was back to normal..but as i drove up the fwy on ramp..bike died again this time
i had aaa tow the bike home its been sitting there. even tho if left it charging all day.. i think i may need to replace battery..but im wondering if it may be something else. any feed back for this newbie?:drool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
sounds like battery. if you let it sit with the ign on for awhile and drained every last little bit out then a jump wont really keep the battery stable enough to keep the bike running. id try a charge on it and if that doesn't do the trick id replace that battery. if you just had a new one put in there should be some sort of warranty on in. take it back to where you got it and let them handle it.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Sounds kinda familiar
My brother bar rowed my bike one weekend and left switch on over night.
The next morning he jumped it off with his car and rode for about 1hour and st oped for gas.
The bike would not restart so he jumped it off again and went to auto parts store and bought new battery and rode for 2 hours going home.
The next morning the new battery was dead.
( When your battery is completely dead, Don't jump it with a car and ride.. It needs to be put on a charger for proper voltage rate charging )

This caused an ideal situation for the stator to be over worked and it will overheat.

I believe you will find that the stator is shot, and if you cointinue riding the rectifier will be next.

Thanks

DADACOM

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i doo have a black n decker battery charger with the right amps , but it says ALTernator /Faulty..any ideas ..problems w alternator??

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
i doo have a black n decker battery charger with the right amps , but it says ALTernator /Faulty..any ideas ..problems w alternator??
That would be making reference to the stator. Best to check the stator with a digital ohm meter as per the manual. The resistance between white to white (3) should be between 0.11 ohm & 0.17 ohm. If out of range either way the stator is probably faulty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or check your battery voltage when the bike is running. You should see it at higher than 12V, and drop down to ~12V when you shut the bike off. If you don't see the voltage go up when the bike is running, then your stator is not charging the battery, or not charging is sufficiently to maintain a charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts