Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
07 Vulcan 2000 LT
On a ride tonight we stopped for gas. After filling up I turned the key on and everything was normal until I hit the starter button and then everything went dead. After a second or two I had a faint neutral light.
I figured it was the battery and since it was late I knew there would be no battery available so I started looking for some place to load a bike in the back of a pickup. While I was doing that my wife called our son inlaw and told him to go get my truck and come get us. She handed the phone to me and while I was giving him directions to our location I tried to start the bike. Turned the key on and everything worked as normal. Hit the starter switch and she cranked slow but did start. We rode the 50 miles home with no problems.
Got home and the bike cranked and started normal 3 times in a row so now I'm puzzled.

Now lets back up about a year ago.
During a 200 mile ride to a rally my Fire and Steal tachometer stopped working.
When I arrived at the rally I thought I smelled a hot wire but I was around other bikes and didn't know if it was mine or not.
Later the tach started working again and since then it has worked erratically> cruising speed it may read 1k or 9k or anywhere in between.
Tonight I noticed the tack was reading 0 rpm most of the time but sometimes after hitting a bump it would read higher. I also at one point thought I smelled a hot wire again.
Question :
Is there anything in the tachs wiring system that would create the problem I had tonight?
I was thinking maybe a short would cause it to ground out and sap my battery's juice to the rest of the bike.

Or should I be looking at something else as the culprit and if so what?
Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi
07 Vulcan 2000 LT
After filling up I turned the key on and everything was normal until I hit the starter button and then everything went dead. After a second or two I had a faint neutral light.
I figured it was the battery and since it was late I knew there would be no battery available so I started looking for some place to load a bike in the back of a pickup. While I was doing that my wife called our son inlaw and told him to go get my truck and come get us. She handed the phone to me and while I was giving him directions to our location I tried to start the bike. Turned the key on and everything worked as normal. Hit the starter switch and she cranked slow but did start. We rode the 50 miles home with no problems.
Got home and the bike cranked and started normal 3 times in a row so now I'm puzzled.

Now lets back up about a year ago.
During a 200 mile ride to a rally my Fire and Steal tachometer stopped working.
When I arrived at the rally I thought I smelled a hot wire but I was around other bikes and didn't know if it was mine or not.
Later the tach started working again and since then it has worked erratically> cruising speed it may read 1k or 9k or anywhere in between.
Tonight I noticed the tack was reading 0 rpm most of the time but sometimes after hitting a bump it would read higher. I also at one point thought I smelled a hot wire again.
Question :
Is there anything in the tachs wiring system that would create the problem I had tonight?
I was thinking maybe a short would cause it to ground out and sap my battery's juice to the rest of the bike.

Or should I be looking at something else as the culprit and if so what?
Thanks!
Sounds like you have a couple of separate problems.

First thing to check are the chassis grounds (R/H frame rail just behind fuel tank, atmospheric pressure sensor mounting bolt under tank and starter mounting bolts). Make sure all ground contacts are clean and tight.

If the tachometer isn't working correctly, get rid of it. An internal ground will kill the ignition as it connects to the coil primary and secondary leads. This should not drain the battery with key off as it goes through the ignition switch.

Check battery and charging system. AN OLD, WEAK BATTERY will cause your symptoms. Battery should read 12.5 to 13 volts across the battery with bike stopped and key off. Turn on key without starting for about 5 minutes and recheck voltage. Should be close to the same. Start the bike and take a voltage reading across the battery. Voltage should read approx. 14 through 14.5 volts. If the voltage does not increase with the motor running, check the voltage regulators and connectors.

Service manual has testing procedures for battery, rectifier/regulator and charging system.

Good luck, Bob

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I agree with most of the above...but I might be inclined to first go right to the connectors on two voltage regulators.

It's easier than most of that other stuff and the connectors, while supposed to be moisture/water resistant, are known to get corrosion in them. That will cause all sorts of electrical issues, to and including burnt connections, poor/no charging (weak battery), etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't checked anything yet but I believe the charging system to be good.

Battery is about 1.5 years old and kept on a Battery Tender in the off months.

I learned of the corrosion problem with the regulators shortly after buying the bike new.
I checked there back then and found a bit of moisture in one with the other one being dry and clean, I treated both with Di electric grease at that time.

I will check the rest here in a bit after it cools off in the shop a bit more.

Where what area on the frame is the ground for the atmospheric pressure sensor mounting bolt under tank or where is the switch and I will back track to the ground?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Well, despite confidence, it's still necessary to check the charging system. A 1.5yr battery and a Tender are not guarantees.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
wetrodent, my buddy re wired my now his 07 v2k with 16" monkey bars internal wiring. At first it would not start. I checked all his connections were good. I took the start switch on the bar off and filed clean the contacts. Everything worx great ever since. sometimes I jus get lucky? poncho

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Got a few hours of work time. With a bad back I get a little at a time LOL

Battery checked 12.8 volts key off and after sitting over knight.
Keep in mind it had started the bike and immediately was shut off 3 times the night before.

Motor running at idle it checked 14.3 -14.6
Motor reving to aprox 2500rpm it checked in the 14.8 neighborhood.

The battery terminals, both were corroded and had a greenish/white build up.

I have checked the 2 frame grounds and they were clean and tight. Will check the starter tomorrow.

The tachs wiring all looked good but since it no longer works correctly will be removed as soon as I find the OEM top clamps for the handle bars. It has been disconnected however.

So far all plugs I have checked including the plug for the ignition switch look good.

Im guessing the problem was the nasty battery terminals but plan on checking everything I can while the tank is off.

·
Registered
547 Posts
just be sure you pull the ignition switch connector apart and look inside, how about the decompression system im not sure if the engine will turn fast enough if the system is not operating properly

·
Registered
220 Posts
Concur with the corroded battery terminals. Will cause the exact problem you are experiencing. Sure wouldn't be the first time. If everything else checks out OK, you're probably good to go. Luck, Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts