Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 VN900 has been dying on me a few times, due to drained battery. I replaced the battery recently (like 3 weeks ago) and seemed like all was good. It died on me again the other day. I was able to use a 12v batter charger to charge it up enough to get home. I put it on the trickle charger and charged it up to full again.

Always starts up good and runs fine (until the battery drains).

The battery is producing 12.68v with the bike shut off, the accessory wires show 12.55v when bike is not running...

its producing 12.2v when at idle, 13-14v under throttle.

This was all tested stationary in the garage. So it seems like it producing power through the system. Any thoughts of what else to check?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Put your meter on continuity and check to see if there is a short from positive to negative. If something running off the battery has a dead short that would put a pull on the system. I wont mention the S word, but that could be your problem.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its sounding like it "could" be idle speed, but more likely the stator and or regulator/rectifier.

Gonna have to get it down to the shop

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Put your meter on continuity and check to see if there is a short from positive to negative. If something running off the battery has a dead short that would put a pull on the system. I wont mention the S word, but that could be your problem.
What???? I guess if you want an excuse to buy a new meter, one could do this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Id be interested to see how many miles/KM's your bike has, but you may need a new stator. These things have the tendency to
die at around 20k miles (45k km's) and up. Those voltages look quite weak, Id get someone to rev up the engine to about 3k, and check the voltage and amps, if you have a clamp meter that can measure the stator output that is (in amps, not just voltage which doesn't tell you much).
You'll probably need one of these.
Motorcycle Superstore | JPCycles.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts