Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Vulcan 900. Yesterday I was out riding. I pulled up to a redlight and the bike just died. It was like someone flipped the kill switch. I tried to restart and nothing. All the lights were on but nothing> I turned the key off and the bike refired when I tried again. I took off and at the next light the same thing happened. I got home and tried to get it to die like it had before and it wouldn't die. I let the kick stand down, while it was still running and it kept running while in gear with the stand down. So now I think it must be something wrong with saftey device on the kickstand? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a fix that I could tackle or do I need to take it to the shop? Oh yea now it will only crank if I have it in Neutral....:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
my buddy had the exact same thing happen to him he a has a 1500 classic one of the wires running to the clutch or clutch sensor was loose hooked her back up and she works fine

·
Registered
231 Posts
Kickstand switch or clutch switch on the bars prevent starting in gear - can't remember if the 900 has a clutch switch.
I think the VN900 "may" have a clutch safety switch...UNLIKE my HD....and NO...I didn't damage the bike when I "found out!" :mad: I'm going to "test" my theory on the Vulcan as soon as I get home though!!:cool:

This is from pp66 (2-43) of the service manual:
Sidestand. Transmission... Clutch............ Start.................... Engine
Up..............In Gear..............Released..........Doesn’t start..........Stops
Up..............In Gear..............Pulled in...........Starts.....................Continues running

According to the chart in the manual, with the sidestand up, and the bike in gear and engine not running, the engine will not start (or continue to run?) with the clutch lever released - which seems kinda odd if I think about it too long...:confused:
Is there also a VSS (speed sensor) that stops this from ocurring when the bike is in motion?
I think me trusty manual may be missleading me on this point. The "bonehead" safety (also missing on my other bike) seems to be in the sidestand switch - so that's where I'd look for loose wires FIRST.
Somebody who has more wrench time in motorcycles---almost anybody but me... will have to 'splain whether or not the VN900 has a clutch safety AND a sidestand safety switch...:D

·
Registered
719 Posts
Running with the kickstand down while in gear is a kickstand switch problem. Don't how that got missed the first time around. However, I'm still curious about the clutch and can't seem to remember to look in the shop manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i had the same issue on my 1500 classic and when i got it home i popped the seat off and come to find out i had a battery terminal loose and was causing a bad connection new batter with nice tight connections and having had a problem since..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts