Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice in the past 5 weeks the motor has just stopped and won't restart for about 3-5 minutes. No warning, no error codes, guages all good - nothing. all appears normal but won't turn over. If I turn the ignition on and off all start up sequences work and all fuses check out. Engine not overheating just normal around town riding.

If I leave the key off for a few minutes then turn it on again the starter fires and away we go no issue

My thoughts are
Kill switch
Man Down

·
Registered
386 Posts
more likely the side stand switch, more easily contaminated with road crud etc.

give it a good dosing of WD40 to clean any crap out of it.

Damn intermittent faults are so hard to find.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The 09s and 10s had a recall for the ECU for this kind of thing. Do you know if its been done on yours? Also check for the broken wire from the ignition under the tank, another known issue. Check out the links below.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11997 http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62009

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just replaced the side stand switch about a month ago. but will give it a clean Yes the ECU has been done.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Last year I had a similar issue where the bike would die for no reason. As if someone hit the kill switch. What I did was take the kill switch apart and spray the contacts with some carb cleaner. Since then I haven't had an issue. But I've also stopped using the kill switch to shut the bike off. I just use the kick stand.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just replaced the side stand switch about a month ago. but will give it a clean Yes the ECU has been done.
Same thing and I took the switch off yesterday and sprayed it so I hope that's all it is. I normally don't go near the kill switch either but when I think back I used the kill switch for some reason when it happened the first time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts