Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I store my bike in our large shed almost all the time because I'm afraid of rust. I would like to start leaving it out in the drive more because of very wet yard area I have to run over when leaving shed. My issue is the waterproof cover I have used on occasion leaves condensation on bike. Does anyone else have this issue with bike covers? Should I be using something on my wheels and spokes and other metal parts to prevent rust? (besides the wax). Any help would be appreciated. I read postings from this forum everyday.

P.S. When I take it out of the shed and the ground is wet I have to have the wife or neighbor move boards for me to ride on or bike will sink in the (muddy) lawn.

Thank You

bearapawh
2010 Vulcan 900 Classic lt

·
Registered
75 Posts
I store my bike in our large shed almost all the time because I'm afraid of rust. I would like to start leaving it out in the drive more because of very wet yard area I have to run over when leaving shed. My issue is the waterproof cover I have used on occasion leaves condensation on bike. Does anyone else have this issue with bike covers? Should I be using something on my wheels and spokes and other metal parts to prevent rust? (besides the wax). Any help would be appreciated. I read postings from this forum everyday.

P.S. When I take it out of the shed and the ground is wet I have to have the wife or neighbor move boards for me to ride on or bike will sink in the (muddy) lawn.

Thank You

bearapawh
2010 Vulcan 900 Classic lt
When I worked for a Harley dealer we sold 2 different styles of covers. One "waterproof" for overnight stops on road trips to keep rain off and from people setting the kids on the bike just to take pictures, and one breathable cover for long term storage. Both were overly expensive. A lot of my customer as well as myself found that as long as you have an enclosed area such as yourt shed that a "fitted" bedsheet with elastic around the bottom of the sheet worked just as well and was a whole lot cheaper. It prevent dust and dirt from settling on the bike, allowed moisture to dissapate, and was washable to boot. In addition they are a whole lot cheaper. RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
851 Posts
Place a big enough peace of old carpet or something in that nature under your bike! If your parking it on a concrete floor, mosture will draw from the concrete up under your cover and it has no where to xscape. The carpet will eliminate the mosture!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips

Thanks everyone for the tips. I would like to park in on my driveway (which is made of asphalt) with the cover overnights. I'll try the to park it on a long peace of carpet that I have.
I wounder if I would get more or less condensation under the cover and on the bike if I parked it on the grass? Probably more......don't know.

Thanks again.

bearpawh
2010 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I wounder if I would get more or less condensation under the cover and on the bike if I parked it on the grass? Probably more......don't know.

Thanks again.

bearpawh
2010 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt
My bikes are parked in the garage on carpet and covered with full "storm covers". They are all "vented" and waterproof. They have soft inserts for the shield and heat shields sewn in for the pipes ... yes they are "hot covers" and the bike can be bagged as soon as you are done riding.

I would not park on the lawn, to much moisture and to soft for the kickstand.

The vents are on the end of the handlebars.

Jc Whitney has a good variety of covers at this link.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-parts-motorcycle-accessories/j3s2.jcwx

Cheers Maurice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts