Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Vulcan drifter 800 and she chokes out after literal seconds after starting, I'm thinking vapor lock or a bad fuel pump. Right now a reserve tank is hanging on it so I can work on it. I'm thinking the attached photo is the fuel pump. It routes from the air box to the tops of the twin engine and also into the petcock. Also, the bike won't show a neutral light (I replaced the kickstand switch already) and will only kick over with the clutch pulled in. Any help?

·
Super Moderator
3,783 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. The drifters are rare. Make sure to post us a picture when you get a chance. That piece you are holding is not a fuel pump. It is a air switch valve. See the parts diagram in the link below.
From what you are describing would suspect the fuel petcock or something with the carburetors. Here is a link to the factory repair manual for some research.
If the bike only cranks with the clutch pulled, get some spray electrical cleaner and do the clutch, side stand, headlight, signal, kill, and starter switches. Might as well do them all while the can is in your hand. If it still won’t crank with the clutch not pulled, would look into the switch and connections.
I do not have your model, so will move this thread to the 800 Model Section so other members who have this model will contribute their expertise. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Glad you are here with us. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
326 Posts
What Tourer said! These bikes have more safety switches than duck has feathers....
Check all your safety switches, bypass, testing every one....clutch lever, kickstand, neutral safety switch....

·
Registered
35 Posts
How old is the gas? Are the plugs good? Have you cleaned the carb? Have you re jetted the carb? How long do you leave the choke on after starting? Are you starting the bike with the petcock in the prime position?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the neutral switch plug was unplugged, but now the bike is choking out for gas. It goes out if I stop flickering my throttle within 2 seconds. Would it be worth it to just buy a new carb, or is it an easy fix? I've already rebuilt the carb, but not sure if the screws are to specs.

The tank isn't on, I have a reserve tank on

·
Registered
35 Posts
What did you do with the carb during the rebuild? How old is the gas in your "reserve" tank?

Buying a new carb won't simply fix your problem. Need to know moew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did you do with the carb during the rebuild? How old is the gas in your "reserve" tank?

Buying a new carb won't simply fix your problem. Need to know moew
[/QUOTE

During the rebuild I mirrored the parts I took off and wrote down the screw placements from seating. I know I need a new choke cable, but the bike is still getting no gas without me giving the throttle action. I'm suspecting the idle screw was closed off too much (the one sitting behind the air box housing).

Gas in the reserve tank is about three weeks old

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Was it working BEFORE the carb removal?
Mixture screws would not cause such an idle stumble! No to new carbs.
How long do you use the choke?
On choke the engine should start out on high idle - do you have that?

These and other questions will help us help you.
We aren't there. You need to give us info so we know what is happening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was it working BEFORE the carb removal?
Mixture screws would not cause such an idle stumble! No to new carbs.
How long do you use the choke?
On choke the engine should start out on high idle - do you have that?

These and other questions will help us help you.
We aren't there. You need to give us info so we know what is happening.
It wasn't working before the carb rebuild, I may need a new choke cable because it is extremely sticky and seems to set back into place shortly after pulling it open. I'll switch out the choke cable and gas.
Thanks for the help, any other suggestions

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If the bike doesnt start with the choke on when cold it will not run very well at all!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
STILL in the woods. Bought a new choke cable and same problem, is there a fuel pump on the 01' model that keeps the bike idle? After I hit it with starting fluid and a quick jet of fuel from the throttle she dies, and to keep her on I have to keep forcing her fuel from the throttle..

I'll post a video tomorrow

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Again when cold does it start and go to high/fast idle??
IF you hold the choke will it run good??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again when cold does it start and go to high/fast idle??
IF you hold the choke will it run good??
I think I was having a brain dead moment. I routed the backup tank to the hose for the carb float bowl and not to the petcock hose. I'll switch up when I get home

·
Registered
Kawasaki VN800A (1995). Yamaha Raider (2008). Yamaha FZ1 (2006).
223 Posts
Also, this bike doesn't have a fuel pump. The fuel use gravity to goes from the tank to the carb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update.. she is running, I'm not sure how well until her test ride this weekend, but atleast she is holding. The choke seems to do very little because she is running a high rpm with it on and off, but maybe I have the idle knob (the one behind the air cleaner) adjusted out too far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts