Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Bigger Front tire/wheel for 900 Custom SE

33K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Sp0ck 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom, and was wondering if anyone has ever installed a bigger front wheel? I like the bike a lot, just wish the front wheel/tire was bigger. If I remove the front fender, can I install a bigger wheel, perhaps the one from a Vulcan Classic model? I know I can install a 90/90-21 tire on my existing rim, but looking for something bigger, if possible.

#2 · (Edited)
Off the top of my head you have a 21" front wheel on your Custom and the Classic front wheel is 130/90-16, but just 16".

I am sure you are going to get just the information you are looking for from other fourm members who have been there, done that.

You must be looking for a wide, fat front wheel and tire.?? For me, the 21" wheel and tire are basic to the Custom look and ride.

Reactions: irvintile
#3 ·
Thanks, didn't realize the "custom" had a larger wheel diameter than the "classic". My front tire seems to fall into every crack in the road, plus the tire itself just doesn't seem that much bigger than my mountain bikes tire, but I guess that is all apart of the "chopper" look. Thanks again.

#5 ·
Thanks, will install the 90/90-21 tire once these wear down. I did just read a post where someone swapped their Custom 900 front wheel/tire with a Vulcan 900 Classic "Spoked" Front tire, and it looked real nice, just had to remove the 'custom" fender to make it fit...anyone ever do that here?

#7 ·
I'm running a 90/90 now and its a huge improvement from the stock 80/90. Only thing to watch out for is some 90/90s won't fit with the Custom front fender without some modifications.

#9 ·
I think the performance improvement going to the 90/90 is more about new-tire-performance than size. When I changed out my OEM Dunny for a Metz 880 I went with the 90/90 only because their 80/90 was tube type. I noticed a big improvement in handling, specifically cornering. This spring I had to replace that tire and put on a Pirelli MT66 80/90 (with a tube) and found that it handled much better than the Metz, specifically when cornering. Hmm...

The Pirelli profile is a little larger than the Dunny so it fills the fender better but not as big as a 90/90 so it has good clearance under the fender. The 90/90 came within 2mm of the fender bolt heads

#11 ·
This spring I had to replace that tire and put on a Pirelli MT66 80/90 (with a tube) and found that it handled much better than the Metz, specifically when cornering. Hmm...

The Pirelli profile is a little larger than the Dunny so it fills the fender better but not as big as a 90/90 so it has good clearance under the fender. The 90/90 came within 2mm of the fender bolt heads
Interesting. If I understand this right you kept the OEM 21" custom wheel and went with Pirelli MT66 80/90/21 tube and tire.

Does the Pirelli tube and tire hold air pressure better over time than the tubeless tire on the 21" OEM?

#13 ·
Ray, I went with the tube style because Pirelli doesn't offer that size in a tubeless, although I thought I was ordering a tubeless at the time (website confusion). The Metz was tubeless, but I didn't like how close to the fender it ran and I didn't want to screw up the bike trying to modify the fender. Metz also only offers the 80/90 in tube style. I never had air problems with the tubeless I just didn't feel like sending this tire back and looking for something else. I got a good enough price that adding the tube didn't set me back enough to worry.

#14 ·
Thanks for the reply. My OEM tires loose air from time to time but from what I understand this is not uncommon. I check air pressure most every day but don't add air that often.

I am considering the Metzeler 90/90/21" front tire just because so many who have tried it say it makes a positive difference in performance. I am not so sure about going with the Metzeler 200/70/15 on the rear as some say it is not a good fit for the wheel and has very high sidewalls.

#15 ·
Yea I have the same problem with the 80/90/21 on my 900 custom tracking I guess just when your going slow Does any have the answer/ It want be for a while Just put new bridge-stones on So what is the deal you can put the spoke wheel off the classic will bolt up to the custom ? 2009 900

#21 ·
I've got an Avon Cobra 90/90/21 on mine.It was put on by the dealer I bought it from, and all I can say is that it works really well. I have no previous experience with the stock size as I had not owned this model before. Suffice to say I found out really quickly that the fender was too close to the tyre. Made a pair of brackets and raised the fender by 30mm (1"1/4 ) all seems ok now.
Automotive tire Tire Plant Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive lighting Hood Helmet Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

#17 ·
So, you can spread the stock bracket enough to fit over a 90/90 tire, BUT that creates two other problems:
1. It spreads the fender a few millimeters wider which bends the front down enough to rub. So you still have to raise it.
2. The bracket at the mount points becomes too wide. I had to heat it up to bend them back without narrowing the top back to the original size.
If anyone has better ideas let me know. Another thread said the bracket from a 1600 Nomad will fit with no adjustments. If this is true, what year? In 2009 the Nomad was a 1700. Or should I just get an extension welded on the to bottom of the stock bracket?

#18 · (Edited)
I just did this! With one downside..

I replaced the stock front tire with a Night Dragon 90/90/21.

The fender, using original mounts, was WAY too close, so I shopped around and found what I thought were the perfect brackets - just the right size, and black. Only needed to open the diameter of the holes to accommodate the bolts.

But after a few hundred miles, discovered some scuffs on the fender, and realized the fender was smacking into the horn.

So, it’s a work in progress.

I bought 60mm brackets.
I recommend 50mm. I just ordered some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Yep...that fender is a bit tall off the tire. However, did you consider moving the horn?

I just did this! With one downside..

I replaced the stock front tire with a Night Dragon 90/90/21.

The fender, using original mounts, was WAY too close, so I shopped around and found what I thought were the perfect brackets - just the right size, and black. Only needed to open the diameter of the holes to accommodate the bolts.

But after a few hundred miles, discovered some scuffs on the fender, and realized the fender was smacking into the horn.

So, it’s a work in progress.

I bought 60mm brackets.
I recommend 50mm. I just ordered some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
going from a tubeless tire to a tubed one is a safety downgrade. it's insane, and asking for trouble. i put avon cobra's on my custom, and they're great tires, that fit perfectly. all skinny/tall front tires will catch grooves in the road. that's physics. what you can do, is look where you're going, don't tailgate the car/truck in front of you, and do your best to avoid hazards.
personally, i like having a bigger front end too, because a larger contact patch on a dry road is better. however, with a good set of tires, the skinny front wheel provides plenty of grip as long as you aren't...subjecting the tire to unreasonable demands. you are riding a vulcan, after all, and not a ninja. the custom will carve a twisty road as well as any cruiser out there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.