Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can put a bigger displacement kawi engine on the 900? Anyone tried or thought of it? I was looking at the bigger kawi bikes but for some reason the 900 just looks better and I would rather keep it. If the 900 came in different engine sizes and 6 speeds I would be in heaven.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Forget the bigger engine... how about a 6th gear!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agreed. Bigger engine and 6 speed. Especially 6 speed. The transmission is the only true disappointment I have with this bike.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Already done guys, it's called the Vulcan 2000.

·
Registered
273 Posts
new engine

I agree rollingbones. For me the 900 engine is plenty powerful enough. What would it take to convince Kawasaki to put a 6 speed tranny in like other brands? That would make a huge difference as I think the HP is there even with a passenger on board.

·
Registered
976 Posts
They'd put a 6th gear in it for you. The top gear would still have the same gear ratio you'd just have smaller steps in the lower ones. 5th is already overdrive in their minds, designed around 55 mph. Scootworks pulley on makes 5 gears fine for the power the engine has, if you had a 6th gear over it you'd be constantly down shifting to hit it.

And besides, then you'd be constantly whining for a 7th.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The current 5th gear is only an overdrive because they call it that. They could adjust the ratios any way they'd like to stretch it out a bit. Currently the vulcan 1700 is the only 6 gear japanese metric I can find. The sad truth is Harleys need radiators and vulcans need 6 gears...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
And besides, then you'd be constantly whining for a 7th.
LOL. I might at that. The grass is always greener where we're not, you know.

I do love the sound that only the big cc engines have though. The 900 has plenty of power for me, but the sound isn't quit there... and i'm not talking decibels. Just that big loping potato-potato.

If only they'd make the custom model with the 1500+ motor. Oh well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts