Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so this is the battle...I bought my VN900B last year with the intention that I'd be riding mainly solo as my wife didn't seem very interested. Over the course of the season last year, I rode 2up with her several times...mainly short local runs. Lately we've been talking about taking the 9 on some of our long distance events we have planned this year, but neither one of us are lightweights and add luggage etc... We're well overweight...not to mention the fact that at 60mph plus riding solo the 9 revs out at 4k, now add the wife and luggage...well, I think we'd be near maxed out.

I see people have upgraded pullies and all that but, not sure if that'll be a long term solution.

Now as far as bigger bike options, I've looked at the Vaquero and the Road Glide so far.

Would like some input from some of you veterans.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Motorcycle.com App

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
they are called Convertibles..

hd,, yor writting in the 900 section, so the most of the discourse is going to be favorable toward making the 900 work for you. its a fine bike and a decent motor. but you are finding that its comes up a wee bit short in the power (not size) department for 2up travel w/gear. have been there and done that. its the trade off of having a EZ size handlin bike for when yor not 2up w/gear.
Iv progressed and regressed thru the years on multiple sizes and style bikes.
350,500,750,800,1000,1200,1500,1700 and now am settled with a liddle 125ci.
Iv settled for big MOTOR bikes and then strip em back to fighting weight for Tossing them around. this v2k started life at 850lbs is now a trim 650lb.. When I want to load em up for the Big Road, they already have the bones n muscle to (frame n motor) to handle all the packings can pile on.

This is not everybodys cup of tea. They want ONE bike to do EVERYTHING WELL. for that you really need 3 bikes. A full rig tourer, A day bike commuter, and a Beater Bike to get crazy on, no worries.

so find you the right size to fit yor worst case scenario,, and then strip it Nekid for yor daily fix... pix, diff ver same sled.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ponch,

thanks for the feedback...and love your bike. Cool what you do with her.

and...I'd say yes, the biggest issue over the road power while 2up and loaded down with luggage, Revn' out at 4-5K and not a ton of power left otherwise the bike is perfect for me and if I knew the wife would take to riding so much I would've most likely gone with the Vaquero or Nomad last year.

I've tried to get her interested in the BRC and maybe getting her a bike of her own, but I don't see that happening. She's happy as a passenger.

Not sure if changing pullies would make that big of a difference and the weight is also an issue. We're about 40lbs overweight now...guess I could drop a few pounds, although I'm not getting into that with her... :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't believe changing pullies would address your problem which, as I read it, is that you simply need more power to haul everything you need to haul. Pullies won't provide any extra power; they simply distribute better the power that you have. If you can afford it and you plan on doing a good number of these long, luggage-laden rides, I think you're on the right track in your thoughts for upgrading in size/power.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Heavy, I love my V9D; handles well, 50 mpg, dead dependable, can keep up with the 1500 and up crowd with just a little spurring. However.........

We 2-up a lot also. I'm 270, so with her on, we break over the 400 lb limit by 20 pounds. The bike seems to handle it just fine, chassis, engine and brakes. We took off the stock sissy bar and put on a trunk, which slid her back about 3 inches. I can feel the difference in weight placement going in a straight line (weight feels further back than last year); we haven't done any touring yet, and the little she has been in the bike this year so far with the trunk has changed the handling a little in the twisties. Maybe I just need to readjust to the new feel. But on the larger bikes (Vulcan 1700, Vstar 1300), she still sits forward of the rear axle, whereas now on the V9D she is just about now on top of it. If your lovely has enough room as it is now, shouldn't be a problem; never had an issue in the twisties with the lovely on and the stock sissy bar.

Also depends on what type of touring you plan to do. I put a slightly taller rear tire (170/80 versus the 180/70) and that helped reduce the revs in top gear slightly; I don't have any plans to put on a different pulley, but I might go darkside. The bike will pull us 2-up to a top speed of 105 mph, but above 80 mph she starts buzzing a bit more than I like. If low speed (70 and under) touring is in you furture, which is my preference, then the 9 should be fine. If you plan on high speed, lots of distance touring, then bigger might be better.

As for power, I've not done much in that regard (stock pipes debaffled, K&N in stock box, Amsoil), but 2-up, at 60 mph, all I really do is just roll on and she goes just fine. If I want to get going, I drop her to 4th and she really takes off. I've not yet encountered a situation where I really needed more power. Even all of the mountain passes I go through haven't been a problem.

Is there a bigger bike in my future? Yes. I want to do more of the high speed touring down the road (a lot more the the US I want to see). I'm looking at least 1300 V-Twin or larger. But for what I do now and what I plan on doing for the next 6 years or so until all the kids are out of school, the way I have my V9D set up works perfect for me.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
My suggestion is to try it. Do a 100 mile trip or something two up with a fair amount of luggage. Two up we overload her too, but I think it does fine (the high rev's don't bother me).

If you don't like the way it handles, then upgrade. You'll be able to do some, but not much to it. In my opinion, putting pullies, pipes, intake, etc. is a way to make a bike you already love that much sweeter. If you find on your 'test trip' you are severely limited or uncomfortable, you're not going to be able to do anything to make you not feel that way anymore, except go with a bigger bike.

My $0.02 anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the advice...we're going on a 200mi trip in late April, we'll see how she handles the mountainous roads ahead.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
To get a true indication of how the nine tours .. go into the rides section on here ... look up bustin bugs in the search mode ... mine rolling 2up is over 1260 lbs loaded. Remember ... its what you are happy with.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
To get a true indication of how the nine tours .. go into the rides section on here ... look up bustin bugs in the search mode ... mine rolling 2up is over 1260 lbs loaded. Remember ... its what you are happy with.
+1. I don't feel limited.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, I'm going to put my worries aside and put our 9 through the paces over the coming months. You all have provided sound advice and I appreciate you all sharing your experiences. Glad to be a part of such a great crowd.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
well, I'm going to put my worries aside and put our 9 through the paces over the coming months. You all have provided sound advice and I appreciate you all sharing your experiences. Glad to be a part of such a great crowd.

Sounds good! Let us know!

Whiting and I as well as others have no problem touring with our 900's, others felt like they needed to upgrade to handle the long haul. Figure out which group you're in and start working in that direction!

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my opinion, if you are posting about it, then we have already established that it bothers you. Sell your 900 and get something bigger. I sold my 900 a few weeks ago. I miss it in some regards, buy I haven't missed it one bit when I'm on the highway going 70mph. This is just my opinion and experience, everyone else will have their own.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
as well as others have no problem touring with our 900's, others felt like they needed to upgrade to handle the long haul. Figure out which group you're in and start working in that direction!
thats a great point, it all gets back to individual expectations.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my opinion, if you are posting about it, then we have already established that it bothers you. I sold my 900 a few weeks ago.
you're right, honestly... it had bothered me, I was concerned, but I think I got some sound advice here and in the 9's defense, I really haven't tried to push it's limits over the road either...I just assumed from my experience so far that it wouldn't work long term, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll know in April as we're loading up and heading to the white mountains! Should be a challenge.

Can I ask what you bought to replace your 9?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can I ask what you bought to replace your 9?
Let me first say that I am actually a defender of the 9. For me, it was great at a lot of things and bad at what I ended up using it for the most. I used mine as a commuter and the highway revs drove me nuts. Some people like the revs on the highway, some people hate them, and some just don't care. Again, they drove me nuts. The other thing was wind protection, but I fixed that with a batwing. The only problem? I could hear the revs even more with the batwing installed!

When I sold my bike, I test drove several others and narrowed my list to 4 different bikes, the Voyager, Vaquero, FJR1300, and Concours 1400. I chose the Concours and so far I really like it. It eats up the highway miles on the way to work with ease and is probably the smoothest bike I've ever driven. That said, I miss the Vulcan for the around the town riding. In my opinion, at 55mph and below, the Vulcan really shines...FWIW, if my wife enjoyed riding on the back more, I would have chosen the Voyager.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I'll know in April as we're loading up and heading to the white mountains! Should be a challenge
Thats a great testing ground and a really scenic area to ride.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I miss my 900 the most when I'm standing in front of a gas pump. 200 miles per tank was a major benefit. Joe
jus 200 eh, joe? this one only gets me 250 per tank since they buggered up the fuel with all that ethanol krap. used to be near 300 per tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts