Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my Vulcan S 650 after a year of riding because I'm ready for more power, capacity, and comfort for medium to long distance riding and occasional rural freeway commuting. I'd also like to bring my lady along more often so two-up capability and comfort is important. I am a college student so my budget is very limited, but between the proceeds from selling my 650 and my savings I have a $5000 budget. There are plenty of decent used Vulcans in my area in that price range, and if I'm willing to drive a couple hundred miles there are even a couple of Nomad 1700s I can afford. The Nomad 1700 looks perfect for what I'm looking for with the 6th gear and cruise control, but aside from the two that I've seen that are a few hours away, there are none for sale near me. How does the 1700 Nomad stack up to the 1600 nomad or the 2000? Those are MUCH easier to find at affordable prices around here. Also, I'm open to suggestions of other similar big twins as long as they're Japanese, watercooled, and fuel injected.

·
Super Moderator
3,867 Posts
Too bad this isn’t closer to you. Real nice low mileage bike.

·
Registered
350 Posts
OK, the 2000 I would not get....Plenty powerfuf....too damn heavy, I'd only get one if the price was really low, and stick on a rear trike kit.... I've ridden big, powerful bikes my whole life, my dad built a old indian flathead that I rode all thru high school, Started on a mini-bike when I was 10, 12 my dad bought me a Honda CB-90, 14 a Honda SL-175, you get the picture.....
The 1700's are pretty much trouble free....and they really don't get broke in till about 18-20K on the miles.
The 1600 Nomad is a great machine, get one with the least amount of miles, clean, and take her for a kinda long ride to see if your comfortable on it....

·
Registered
Lawn mower
173 Posts
1500 is enough for me, I had 4-5 Vulcans 1500, nice bikes! I would buy 30-years old VN1500 in a heart beat! Older ones had 4 speed, that is enough, engine has so much power,it could have 3 speed, and it would be OK.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd recommend a 1500 IF you want to work on the bike some, and learn how to do basic maintenance....you can still get some with really low miles (less than 20-30K on the clock)....
I've seen many get a good used 2001'-2006', do a tune up, then tour the whole US for months and 3-4K later, and it not missing a beat! The Vulcans are great!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd avoid 1500's earlier than 2000 due to the plastic oil gear, but since then they're great bikes. I have 1500 and 1600 Mean Streaks and like them both. I wouldn't mind picking up a 1700 Vaquero for touring but I've taken my 1600 on 4-5000 mile trips. A couple of guys I ride with have 2000's and love them. The best idea is to try to find some where you can at least sit on them to get a feel for it. I find the Nomad seems to sit higher than the Vaquero, could be my perception. As far as running, they're all solid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just sold my Vulcan S 650 after a year of riding because I'm ready for more power, capacity, and comfort for medium to long distance riding and occasional rural freeway commuting. I'd also like to bring my lady along more often so two-up capability and comfort is important. I am a college student so my budget is very limited, but between the proceeds from selling my 650 and my savings I have a $5000 budget. There are plenty of decent used Vulcans in my area in that price range, and if I'm willing to drive a couple hundred miles there are even a couple of Nomad 1700s I can afford. The Nomad 1700 looks perfect for what I'm looking for with the 6th gear and cruise control, but aside from the two that I've seen that are a few hours away, there are none for sale near me. How does the 1700 Nomad stack up to the 1600 nomad or the 2000? Those are MUCH easier to find at affordable prices around here. Also, I'm open to suggestions of other similar big twins as long as they're Japanese, watercooled, and fuel injected.
I purchased a 2007 Vulcan 2000 classic lt for 5000.00. This is the ultimate bike for long rides, comfort, and power

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased a 2007 Vulcan 2000 classic lt for 5000.00. This is the ultimate bike for long rides, comfort, and power
I ended up snagging one of the Nomads I mentioned. It is a joy to ride on the freeway, but it's so damn heavy I may end up selling again. I'm going to give it a riding season and see if I can get used to the weight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Vulcan 2000 with 11,400 mi on it in excellent condition with lots of extras. Asking price,$5,000.Location,northwest N.J.Only driven in fair weather.
Lou

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just sold my Vulcan S 650 after a year of riding because I'm ready for more power, capacity, and comfort for medium to long distance riding and occasional rural freeway commuting. I'd also like to bring my lady along more often so two-up capability...
Having had several different Japanese cruisers, I would suggest looking for the newest, low mileage, clean, medium sized (1100 - 1600cc) cruiser you can find at your price point. Notice, I didn't specify make or model. You will find lots of pros and con's to any choice you make, but at that price point, you have time to get used to larger and then get something larger or smaller.
I've had the 1500 Classic FI, the 1500 Nomad, the 1600 Classic, the 1600 Nomad, and the 1700 Voyager.
Kawasaki Vulcan 1500s after year 2000 are okay, but try to avoid the 1999 or earlier ( you said you don't want a carbureted bike anyway). Sorry to guys who still have one, but I think the 1500s are just getting too old.
Any of them would do what you want, and I feel the other Japanese cruiser brands have some good choices too. Most are fairly reliable and you can research the internet for known problems for each make or model.
You may not want a 750 - 900 lb. bike. Keep weight in mind. Heavy bikes are great for highway riding with a passenger, but the bigger the engine, and usually, heavier the bike, the more it will cost. I would rather spend $5000 on a newer mid range, in good condition, than $4500 on a 1500 or 2000 cc old beater. Never know, though: there may be a low mileage, Vulcan 1600 Nomad or (any generic metric cruiser) out here that will go for a song!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having had several different Japanese cruisers, I would suggest looking for the newest, low mileage, clean, medium sized (1100 - 1600cc) cruiser you can find at your price point. Notice, I didn't specify make or model. You will find lots of pros and con's to any choice you make, but at that price point, you have time to get used to larger and then get something larger or smaller.
I've had the 1500 Classic FI, the 1500 Nomad, the 1600 Classic, the 1600 Nomad, and the 1700 Voyager.
Kawasaki Vulcan 1500s after year 2000 are okay, but try to avoid the 1999 or earlier ( you said you don't want a carbureted bike anyway). Sorry to guys who still have one, but I think the 1500s are just getting too old.
Any of them would do what you want, and I feel the other Japanese cruiser brands have some good choices too. Most are fairly reliable and you can research the internet for known problems for each make or model.
You may not want a 750 - 900 lb. bike. Keep weight in mind. Heavy bikes are great for highway riding with a passenger, but the bigger the engine, and usually, heavier the bike, the more it will cost. I would rather spend $5000 on a newer mid range, in good condition, than $4500 on a 1500 or 2000 cc old beater. Never know, though: there may be a low mileage, Vulcan 1600 Nomad or (any generic metric cruiser) out here that will go for a song!
Good Luck!
I ended up buying one of the Nomad 1700s. I currently have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it on the freeway. I hate it until I get on the freeway. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Lawn mower
173 Posts
carb bikes with clogged carbs go dirt cheap.

·
Registered
350 Posts
1500s getting too old? Oh Hell No!!!!!!!, tighten em' up, tune em' up, service them, do your maintance, and she'll take your for months of touring of the whole USofA.
My 2001 Nomad has over 100,000 miles on her, my hotrodded, bigbore, cammed, long rod 1500 will purr its way to Daytona Bike Week, Sturgis, Ca., every year, without incident....but hey, what do I know.....I'm just a lowly Wrench Jockey....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up a 2006 Nomad 1600 last month here. Moved up from a 2008 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. The extra 250 - 300 lbs took a week or so to get used to, but I don't even think about it now. I suggest giving it a season, the extra storage and power is worth it to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts