Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vulcan 1600 Classic came with a 170 on the back and a 130 on the front (both 16-inch rims). Looks like a 200 will fit on the back and a 150 on the front. What is the largest tire combination any of you have run on this bike? And how's that workin for ya?

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Vulcan 1600 Classic came with a 170 on the back and a 130 on the front (both 16-inch rims). Looks like a 200 will fit on the back and a 150 on the front. What is the largest tire combination any of you have run on this bike? And how's that workin for ya?
Hope someone comes up with this answer soon, Angus needs new shoes and I'm mired in stock vs over sized. Why can't Metzler and Avon just make a stock size for us ~ even if we are the only ones to use it? I'm a big guy and worry just a little about side wall rub.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just back from the tire shop, mounted the Metzler ME880 in 180/70/16 looks good hope it performs as advertised.

·
Registered
44 Posts
tire 1600

Thats what I have on my classic, I dont know what was advertised, but the do fine, no cupping or other problems.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just back from the tire shop, mounted the Metzler ME880 in 180/70/16 looks good hope it performs as advertised.
So went up slightly in size. Have you replaced the front tire yet and if so, what size did you go with?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Front tire

Haven't swapped the front yet, that's a project for January I think. I will be installing the ME880 in the stock size. 130-90-16 if memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You are correct about the size Nikon. I'm really tempted to go bigger, even if a little. I know a lot of R & D goes into picking tire size but also cost analysis too, so what Kawasaki chose might have more to do with cost than best tire......
That's why it is good to get other's opinions of handling and performance with the larger Metzlers.
Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Martini, if you go bigger will you just go wider like I did in back or will you step up in height as well. I choose to go wider in back only because it's the only size Metzler had for my bike. Avon was the same way. the stones that came with the bike were just too harsh but a stinky economy kept me from changing until it was time in the real world. I do like the smooth that comes with the Metz must be the radial ride. I wonder what a radial will feel like up front, any ideas?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nikon, I'm just thinking wider. Many folks claim if you go taller in the back it lowers the revs and makes the speedo more accurate. On my bike I'm pretty close to the wear bar but will measure tread depth. Manual says min. depth is 1mm or .04 inch for the front and 3mm or .12 inch for the rear. I'd rather get tires too early than too late and not risk a blowout flying around some turn. Not that I fly around turns but still......

·
Banned
7 Posts
The rest comes from a 43mm fork in place of the previous 41mm unit, and tubeless tires mounted on new cast wheels. Dual front discs and a larger rear brake rotor should improve the 1600's performance envelope when it's time to slow down.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hope someone comes up with this answer soon, Angus needs new shoes and I'm mired in stock vs over sized. Why can't Metzler and Avon just make a stock size for us ~ even if we are the only ones to use it? I'm a big guy and worry just a little about side wall rub.
I went stock on the front, 130/90 Metzlers and 180/70 on the back. I'm 255 and no rub on the back....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did the same thing, of course I've only got about 200 miles on since going radial but what I do know is that I like what I feel. Also put risers on the bars so I could get a little more clearance over the legs and that to made a huge improvement in handling.

Think Spring thaw Mr Martini - I need to ride!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts