Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bless my wife, a Big Sucker was my birthday present. I was previously running a cobra fuel processor, vance and hines pipes and a k&n filter.

The sucker was the last piece of the puzzle. It's a different bike now, sounds great and pulls pulls pulls (as much as a 900 can). The bike used to be a little flat riding 65mph two up, not any more.

Good investment!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Pics. Its always better with pics.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice do you worry about getting caught in the rain

·
Registered
988 Posts
Rain coat

When I got my BAK from Baron they gave me a little pair of pantyhose to put over the element when it was raining....looks like a garter for a plus size girl....seems to work:D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I did speak directly with Arlen Ness about this very issue. They do sell a rain sock, but, we agreed that a pair of pantyhose in the saddlebag for just in case would do just fine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and if anyone is wondering... the sucker sticks out less than the stock air cleaner cover.

·
Registered
988 Posts
BAK profile

Sticks out less? Woa.... yea I might have to give these a look....I was all set to go with a BAK...but now...hmmmm
Not the best photo from the library, but gives an idea on the BAK profile compared to tank edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
I just finished with the big three too! I went with the cobra 2-1, Power Commander V, and the big sucker. Just have to get the dyno tuning done. My only complaint so far is the pipes are too loud for my taste, so I ordered the baffle from smartpartz, hopefully it works. I'llreport back on power increases after i get it dynoed. oh and pics to of course

·
Registered
941 Posts
I wouldn't count on the Smartpartz baffles to help alot. I tried them in my 3in Big Straights. No change to my ears. They may have changed the tone slightly. And I couldn't get both of them back out to return them. One of them would but the other wouldn't, and didn't want to ruin my pipes if I forced it. I would recommend using something to ensure you can remove it if you don't like it and want to return it. I had contacted them before I had tried removing it because it was beyond their return policy period, and they were willing to take them back.

·
Banned
228 Posts
I wouldn't count on the Smartpartz baffles to help alot. I tried them in my 3in Big Straights. No change to my ears. They may have changed the tone slightly. And I couldn't get both of them back out to return them. One of them would but the other wouldn't, and didn't want to ruin my pipes if I forced it. I would recommend using something to ensure you can remove it if you don't like it and want to return it. I had contacted them before I had tried removing it because it was beyond their return policy period, and they were willing to take them back.
Yeah I have been reading your thread where you were dealing with power loss after installing them. Did you ever get that fixed? These baffles come with mixed reviews. Some say they work great others say a waste of money. Right now my pipes are too loud! if I can find a way to bring the volume down enough so they are bearable, then at least I wont have wasted money on pipes :(

·
Registered
941 Posts
The power loss is still a slight issue. It seems to fluctuate, but has gotten better. But I still notice that after about 70-75 she just doesn't want to pull as well.

I think it is my air filter. Which looks pretty dirty, and since I plan to get an intake very soon I ain't changing that filter. I think when I get the filter I plan to change plugs also. Like I mentioned in my thread that I had done my valve adjustment that spring, I still think I need to double check my adjustment. Which I should have done this winter. But now that the riding weather is back, I hate to be down for a weekend.

Once I get the plugs and intake ordered, I think I am going to do some GPS speedtests of the top end acceleration so I have some slightly more accurate reading to compare then just my seat-of-my-pants readings.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The smartpartz baffles helped my ride (I believe) in two ways. They got rid of the vh staggerds having a hollow sound on the highway and added a bit of a chop to the exhaust note and increased backpressure at highway speeds. The people I ride with noticed and commented on the difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts