Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ME and 5 other guys are all heading to the NC/TN/GA border mnts. About 400+ miles there on thursday 500 miles friday & saturday and 400+ miles back. Plan on taking the paths less traveled to and from. But what I am looking for is advice on I should check, a list of stuff to make sure to do before we leave.
Bike has 27,000 miles on it. I bought it with 23,000.
Planned:
1. Changing the oil.
2. Have a New rear tire to put on.
3. Have new brake pads all around
4. changing the brake fluid.

What else should I do.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
As long as your doing that stuff, I'd flush the radiator.

And take a nice ride on it before you leave. Make sure nothing is wrong with the new brakes, tires, etc etc

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Check the clutch cable for signs of fraying.

I haven't had any problems with it but apparently some have. It's a pain in the arse to try to drive a bike without the clutch working and it sounds like the cable isn't usually stocked at the dealer from the reports of people that have had one break.

·
Registered
52 Posts
+1 on the clutch cable. Mine broke just at 20,000 miles. Fortunately I was close to home and was able to find a path with no stops and managed to pop it into neutral while pulling into the driveway. My beast does not like clutchless shifting at_all.
I am not sure what gives on these clutch cables. I had mine apart last winter and when I saw all the stuff in the clutch cables I took the time to check everything. I got about 60K on mine and it is a 2006 Classic. My cable looked perfect. I do see the sleeve on the end swag at the handle lever side. I am beginning to think this is where the problem lies. I make sure that sleeve is centered when I put everything back together. I am beginning to think that is the sleeve is riding on the cable, this is causing the cable to start fraying. Correct me if I am wrong. V2Kman

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine parted company recently, just over 7K miles. I used my spare, so should buy another soon. Reports are that aftermarket cables are more resilient... Any truth to that?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Make sure to clean and lube cables, and I'd do the brakes ASAP so you have time to bed them in. Long highway stretches aren't the best environment for new brake pads; generally you want to break them in in more 'stop and go' type environments. I know EBC recommends 100 miles of urban riding before getting out on the highway. Now, that's impossible for me, I've got to ride almost that far just to GET to an Urban area, and I'm quite possibly sure that big cities are the worst places on the face of this earth, so no thank you. So I just pretend :D. Some extra, mild braking (no hard braking, unless necessary, until broken in).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got the tire on today, now i will be getting rear bearings about 2 miles down the road the terrible metal on metal screeching happened. it was not continuous but short spurts, i quickly pulled off checking for and loose or brakes or something. then limped home. i loosened up the axle and re-centered the tire and snugged up the axle nut. went around the block started again and got worse then turned into a screech and off and on grind so i parked it in the garage. I am going to tear it back apart tomorrow morning to look at the bearings and such might try to go to carquest see if they have anything that matches.
but tire looks good on there 205 60 r16 General Altimax HP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
got the tire on today, now i will be getting rear bearings about 2 miles down the road the terrible metal on metal screeching happened. it was not continuous but short spurts, i quickly pulled off checking for and loose or brakes or something. then limped home. i loosened up the axle and re-centered the tire and snugged up the axle nut. went around the block started again and got worse then turned into a screech and off and on grind so i parked it in the garage. I am going to tear it back apart tomorrow morning to look at the bearings and such might try to go to carquest see if they have anything that matches.
but tire looks good on there 205 60 r16 General Altimax HP.
WHat year is your bike? If you got a 2004-2005 it is probably the rear hub bearing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes sir that's exactly what it was. Bike is an 05. I bought a whole set for the rear and a spare set. Question is, is this a reoccuring issue.
The original rear hub was a single bearing. Starting in 06 like mine they put in a dual bearing hub that solved the issue. I don't know if all the replacement ones would be a dual bearing or not. I am sure there are those out there with the 04 and 05s that could answer that but it definitely sounds like a hub bearing issue. V2Kman

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The original rear hub was a single bearing. Starting in 06 like mine they put in a dual bearing hub that solved the issue. I don't know if all the replacement ones would be a dual bearing or not. I am sure there are those out there with the 04 and 05s that could answer that but it definitely sounds like a hub bearing issue. V2Kman
Yes i have a single bearing hub, there appears to be enough space for a double ball single lip bearing i presume is on the 06 and up models. but the issue is that there is a spacer that rides inside this bearing and against the face of it the axel runs through this, it is only as big as the single bearing I would presume I need to replace this with a later models component, as well. but this would be nice to double check does any one have an old hub drive they can measure the depth of the bore for the bearing and the length of the spacer?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you ever have a uhh dumb A$$ moment....?

So i had my buddy take my rear tire to get it changed cause he can get a good deal and i was busy. well when he loaded it back into the car he pulled the hub off the rim and drop the spacer. it was dark and he did not think anything of it and stuck the spacer on the out side of the hub.

When i put the tire back on i did not realize it was supposed to be on the inside in between the hub bearing and the wheel bearing.

This lack of checking to see how it was supposed to be assembled and over confidence in what i was doing cost me two hub bearings and one spacer that is ate up. Oh and cause i leave out thursday $40 in overnight shipping charges.

Not an over costly mistake but a good hit in my pride lol, being i am a project engineer and look at drawings all day and check things just like this you think i would of known better. Oh well.

But i am glad i know what the true issue was in the first place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts