Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys...the Vulcan is my 1st bike and has been great. To those with any interest the BMW R1200RT is one amazing machine. Absolutely (and I have some experience with this) NO buffeting. The windshield is adjustable on the go. It felt rock stable at 90mph. The weight, balance is amazing. It is my understanding that it is the world's #1 police bike. I can see why.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I recently road a Kawasaki 1400 GTR ABS - I believe its called a Concours 14 in the US.
This thing is awesome I just want one.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
BMW's are nice motorcycles. They handle well, go fast, and are reasonably comfortable. However, I don't believe their reliability is on a par with the Vulcans. And before plunking down $20 large on the RT, be aware that they are very expensive to own. Maintenance is very costly, and in order to not have your warranty voided by BMW, you must bring the bike in for its service intervals--about every 3000 to 5000 miles. And be prepared to leave anywhere between $300 to $600 at the dealer when you pick it up. Another thing to consider is the relative lack of dealer network. Not like the Japanese dealerships which are everywhere. And the cost of accessories will make you gasp and choke!! Jus' sayin'

OTOH, while I hated the R1150RT I had for a short time, I found that it was a good-looking bike, was comfortable and was a good handler. Aside from that, it felt lacking in power and the engine was rough--lots of high frequency vibrations--and the gearing was all wrong for any in-town riding. It was fine in 6th gear out on the highway above 65 mph. But 6th was so high there wasn't any feeling of power.

OK, my rant is over. I like how the R1200RT sits and feels, but I don't think I'd care for the price of admission. But if I were to buy a Beemer, it would more likely be the R1250GS. You'd think it's the same as the RT but without the fairing, but it's different in many ways. MHO.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Guys...the Vulcan is my 1st bike and has been great. To those with any interest the BMW R1200RT is one amazing machine. Absolutely (and I have some experience with this) NO buffeting. The windshield is adjustable on the go. It felt rock stable at 90mph. The weight, balance is amazing. It is my understanding that it is the world's #1 police bike. I can see why.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/26525/Buyers-Guide-Specifications/2011-BMW-R1200RT.aspx
MSRP is $17,250

Rod

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys...I am just smitten with this bike. It is a 500lb sport tourer with 100bhp engine. It is so nimble. The wind management is outstanding. Maintenance and cost of ownership are definte considerations. This why I like the r bikes vs k bikes. I wish Kawi dealers would allow demo rides on the Connie 14 but having sat on one numerous times, the handlebars are too narrow, likely more of a handful in the bends. Anyway I love my Vulcan and I love that chromed cruiser look but the Beemer literally inspires confidence, perhaps dangerously so. I have yet to mention its brakes, they really work. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
292 Posts
+1 to Nomad. One of the big keeping points with my Vulcan is cost of maintenance, or in our case, the lack thereof. About a year ago, I came across two men out for an early spring ride: 2008 Wing and 2009 K1100LT. Both bikes has over 30,000 miles. As we admired each others bikes, I asked about cost of ownership. Both mentioned that their beginning of season service had run over $900 each; I mentioned that my spring service was $35, meaning oil, filter, new tire pressure gauge, time spent cleaning all the chrome. After 8,000 miles last season, I didn't do anything to the bike except gas her up, check the oil level, check tire pressure, clean again. In a few weeks, another $35 for oil, filter, cleaning.

I buy a bike to enjoy, but also to lower my overall transportation costs. I can't see spending all that coin for entry and maintenance to gain a very, very small enjoyment margin. I'll stick with my V9D.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Both mentioned that their beginning of season service had run over $900 each; I mentioned that my spring service was $35,
My buddies K1200s has a $400 oil change, has to leave the bike at the dealer, has to take it to the dealer where he purchased it as no other will do the work and voids the warranty if he or a regular dealer changes the oil.

He has it up for sale right now, its an awesome bike to ride, but the cost to purchase and the cost to maintain it is crazy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seems like all agree that they are awesome bikes, but expensive to own. I guess decisions to make. I will clarify the self service vs dealer service for warrantee maintenance. I was questioned the same with my Nissan truck but provided receipts for filter and all was good. I will inquire. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I'd like to have one, too. Oh, wait...

<-----------------
IM green with envy .....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Maintenance is very costly, and in order to not have your warranty voided by BMW, you must bring the bike in for its service intervals--about every 3000 to 5000 miles. And be prepared to leave anywhere between $300 to $600 at the dealer when you pick it up. Another thing to consider is the relative lack of dealer network. Not like the Japanese dealerships which are everywhere. And the cost of accessories will make you gasp and choke!! Jus' sayin'

From what I was told the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects us from this. They cannot deny warranty coverage based on this. Documentation needs to be done for sure though. I believe some thing called "tie-in" provisions are prohibited.

·
Registered
292 Posts
True, kaz, but watch what the service centers will try; they want you as a captive customer, meaning they can count on you to come only back to them, therefore helping to ensure their cash flow. Being armed with the knowledge of MMWA and seeing what they do, you then know to go some where else or buy there. I've stopped going to two Kawa dealerships because they tried this on me just for warranty work (we are the ONLY authorized Kawa dealership in the area; the other is not and will just screw up your bike to make you come back).

Be wise when you purchase. If you show that this is an emotional purchase (I've just got to have this today), then you stand a very good chance of them taking advantage of you (high pressure). If you act like you can walk away without issue (I'll come back later and we'll talk more at that time), then you stand a good chance of getting a better deal.

If I have insulted your intelligence or experience, then I apologize; that is not the desire of the missive. I'm basing this response on your second post ("Guys...I am just smitten with this bike."); that is a HUGE door for the savvy salesman to walk through and walk all over you. I used to be a salesman back in my youth, and trust me, it is a well documented science on how to convince the potential customer that they NEED what the salesman has to sell.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
My2 cents.... a couple of months ago I went through the BMW gotta have thing and finally decided against the bike based on the cost of maintenance.... I've been told by several BMW owners that the RT averages about 8 to 10,000 miles on tires, which is not acceptable to me.... My 900 has 20,000 on the front and 13000 on the rear, (Metzlers) and are just now ready for replacement. I probably could go a little further on the rear, but plan on some long trips this spring, so I will change it out next week.... So, my desire to go with a BMW has come and gone..... I will say, both of my BMW buddies stated that if they were buying today, they would go with the Kaw Concourse...every bit as good as the BMW for rideability, and about $4000 less expensive....

·
Registered
711 Posts
In December a group of eight guys and I went to a local toy run and one had a very similar BMW and another guy with a similar bike but diff brand. They both have HD's parked in their garage but they instead took these. The group pretty much kept making comments on how ugly these bike are but it didn't seem to bother them much. For sure it made me wonder why not bring the V Rod and the other one his Heritage but i'm sure they had their good reasons. These style is not my cup of tea but for them to take these over their HD's then that should tell you something.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The Magnuson-Moss warranty bill is a lifesaver. I believe what it covers is cases in which a dealer won't honor warranty work if the vehicle wasn't purchased at their dealership, or if manufacturer threatens to void ones warranty if they don't use that brand of oil and filter, (for example). If the XXXX brand is required or a warranty void will occur, then the manufacturer and dealer must provide the oil and filter for free. That is my understanding of the act. If a vehicle is still under the manufacturer's warranty, then any dealership that sells that brand must provide warranty repair service regardless of where the vehicle was purchased.

I rode Gold Wings for 20 years and didn't find any of the four, 2 1500's and 2 1800's to be particularly costly to own. True, they were tough on tires, but that's to be expected with a bike that has 110 hp and 105 ft./lb. of torque on tap. I did all my own oil and filter changes (about $24.00 for the oil and $6.00 for the filter) every 3000--4000 miles, which, in my case, meant about 4 or 5 times a year. I just rode a lot. This Fall, before I sold my Wing, I had a complete service done, including changing out all fluids, replacing a set of brake pads and servicing the rear shock. I also had the valve clearances checked (still where they were when I bought the bike new in '05), and I had the air filter changed. I was charged $200.00 for all of that, but then my friend is a cracker jack Wing mechanic and he doesn't charge the going shop rate at the Honda dealership, either. If I had had a BMW, I doubt I could have afforded to ride it that much. Seems BMW stands for "Bring My Wallet." or "Bring more Wampum." LOL Can't figure out how that one fellow managed to spend $900.00 on an annual service.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My only guess would be that either he didn't have that much which needed done or he had a buddy who is good at BMW service.

A riding buddy of mine with an R1200LT does all of his own work and works on others' BMW bikes. His secret.......YouTube. Step by step videos on how to do this or that on many BMW bikes; I did the same when replacing the CPU on my laptop. Have you seen all the ones on Vulcans; lots.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
lkazanov, I thought I had the RT out of my system until you brought it up in this post....Thanks a lot, buddy..... now I am going to look at a used 2004 on Friday..... Not too bad a price and right at 50,000 miles.... Been doing some research and it looks like most of the maintenance is easy to accomplish myself, and I don't mind working on them, so it may not be all that expensive unless I need to start purchasing a lot of replacement parts....I guess we'll see......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts