Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'2" and 240. I live in south Florida so I'm concerned about heat. Whenever possible, I avoid riding on the interstate. I usually ride solo. Mechanical reliability is a very big deal to me. I'm going to buy a used Vulcan. Which models and years would be best? Which should I avoid?

·
Registered
991 Posts
big fellas

Well, I am 6', dodging around 300, and I ride an 04 V2K. Mustang seat put me about an inch closer to the bars, but they are still a bit of a stretch. Lots of legroom on the boards, but I added freeway pegs as well. If you are going to by the 2000cc version, look for one in the 06 to 08 range. The upgrades have already been made to the drive dampner (dual bearings) and to the drive pulley.

As for other models, I have an 06 1500 classic and an 08 900 custom.
Both of them would be a touch small for you I would think. Any of the Nomads would work though, shorter wheelbase than the V2K, but not so much to cramp a guy. Still lots of power in the 1600.:cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm bigger than the OP, and ride a 900 Classic. It actually fits pretty ok, has plenty of power to carry me and the wife down the highway, and gets damned good mileage.

If you can, test ride the different versions and go with what feels the best, you like the best, and all that.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,912 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 240. I live in south Florida so I'm concerned about heat. Whenever possible, I avoid riding on the interstate. I usually ride solo. Mechanical reliability is a very big deal to me. I'm going to buy a used Vulcan. Which models and years would be best? Which should I avoid?
I'm a tad over 6'2, and weighed in this morning at 238 AND I live in South Texas..so..umm..yeah.

I have a vn2000 with a mustang seat. I almost feel like it was built for somebody like us...

·
Registered
735 Posts
The 1500 Classic is a great all around bike... Mine has never had a problem with heat, and it gets pretty hot up here in the summer.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Thanks, guys. About the heat, which years and models should I avoid?
model numbers June, July n August are hottest. all the others are better. Nov thru March are best. unless its raining.

·
Registered
991 Posts
heat wave

Can't comment too much on heat.....live in northwestern Canada....3 or 4 years ago in Sturgis, 105 deg, no problem for the big bike. None of my bikes have run into heat problems, 04 V2K, 06 1500 Classic, 08 900 Custom. All have been extremely reliable, except for the V2K tearing out the damper bearings a couple of times. Now have the double bearing hub, works great.:cool:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
db,, they got stools in them ba'hrs? seems kinda dangerous. best do yor drinkin on the floor.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
water cooled vulcans good in heat, get a bike with dual front disc brakes, my 1500 is single disc, dual front disc is better, rear tire size on my 1500 is small but ok for my 175 lb weight 5'7", you need a bike with a larger rear tire size and good shocks, I just bought new progressive heavy duty shocks for my 04 1500 and they are perfect fit set at 2nd setting 5 settings total, I'd like to get a 1700 Nomad but don't think I can handle it

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Oh and about which models and years of vulcan to avoid, be aware of older pre-1999 1500's have plastic oil gears, big problem avoid them models, also 2004 1500 was last year model for carbs, carb are ok but fuel injection is better, i modified my carb with new jets and took a lot of work to get it working right, also a carb is hard starting and i need to use choke to get it started, avoid carb'd vulcans if you can, i think the 2003 1600's when they first came out had oil filter problems, since been modified, 1500s like mine need cam chain tensioner extenders installed around the 35,000 mile mark, I got the extenders and will install them this winter, the loose cam chain rubs against the spark plug tubes and creates a hole letting engine oil into the spark plug cavity, my tubes have signs of rubbing but not a hole yet but soon will be i'm at 33,000 miles, also i only get 200km on gas till switching to reserve so not a whole lot there, you must try getting a 2006 or 07 vulcan 2000 if you can find one for a good price

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I'd like to get a 1700 Nomad but don't think I can handle it
dg, according to yor prez "Yes You Can". handle it. I aint no bigger and I thro much bigger bikes around effortlessly. 'corse I went thru some lernin curves to get comfy w/em. My 05 RoadStar, I thought was the most humongous thing on the planet.. now its just a toy. not big 'nuff. I've had big 6ft plus guys tell me that my hardley 'lectra (aka betty the buick) is too big for me. You do know what my response was/is. they dont let me write thos kinda words in here. My v2k kaw is even bigger/longer than the hardley. I thro that thing around like it was a toy. mine. get yer own. Sooo.. even yor prez can be right once in his life. don be afeard ,do it. ponchout

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks, guys. About the heat, which years and models should I avoid?
From my experience with me and my Hubby, you don't have to avoid any Vulcans for hot weather riding as long as it is a liquid cooled engine. Also with your height and size...the 1500cc and up bikes should fit you well. My Hubby is 6'2" and over 300lbs and the Vulcan Nomad 1600 is a perfect fit for him.

Hope this helps out:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
dobro,

I am 6'3" and 235 and have a 2008 1600 classic that fits me well - very comfy ride. I am in southern Louisiana and have no problem with the heat. I say sit on 'em, test ride if you can and pick the one that feels right. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I believe he is asking about the heat HE will be subjected to, not the heat's effect on the motor.

Reliability is something to pay attention to, also, and some of the 1500's lose on that account due to that oil gear.

There are definitely certain models that people complain about the heat up through the thigh area with - I've read those posts here on these forums; I just don't remember which area they were in.
By a quick search, for example, there is this thread:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16642&highlight=heat+summer

And I know that on my reliable 800 the Cobra exhaust regularly melted pants that weren't even touching it until I wrapped it.

I kind of think most of these V-twins will put out a lot of heat up to the rider... for south Florida summer riding I am willing to bet there are better and worse designs out there for rider comfort, but I won't recommend one style over the other (it would just be personal conjecture).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts