Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally safe to ride the big bike on our pea gravel covered roads lol... Front end felt funny so I lifted the bike and spun my front tire around a few times. One of the belts in the center of the tread had completely separated and was raised about 1/4". It was an Avon Cobra 150/80R-16 with about 6000mi on it... Went to our local Yamaha dealer (nearest Kawi almost 3 hours) and began the hunt for a new tire... settled on Bridgestone Excedra Max. Apparently it is designed to replace the factory Battlax BT-320? 71V rated but only good for max 761lbs.... gonna have to go on a diet to make this one last lol:devil2:

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I don't have experience with a VN2000, but other similar sized bikes I've had would go 10,000 miles or more on Avons for the front. 6k is more like a rear tire mileage.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Had exerts on my Nomad new, lasted only 8000 & were done. Dunlops are best for teaction, but only got 8000. Went to Michelin Commander 2, have 16000 on them so far, both wearing evenly. New they were slick on wet lines, but ok now. I hear Dunlop American Elites are just as good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that weight and road condition are the main factors in the quick demise of my tires. I have roughly 70,000 mi on my VN2000 and have gone thru 5 front tires, currently have new #6 on... I went Battlax, Battlax, Metzler, Dunlop, Avon and now Excedra. Best mileage was out of the Battlax tires, roughly 15000 per, and the Metzler coming close with roughly 13000. I had a bad run on the back tires until I went darkside, using up 4 Battlax and 4 Metz on the rear to get 35000 mi. No stunts, not much hi speed, just a lot of weight. I have a truck scale so I weighed the bike yesterday.... 996lbs with a full tank. Add 300lbs of me in leather, a svelte 200 for my lady, and depending on trip length, 100 to 120lbs of luggage. That is roughly 1600lbs, with more than 650 on the front tire. Couple that with darn poor pavement in the western Canadian oil country and I think we can get an idea why the rubber deteriorates so quickly lol:devil2: On the other hand, I have an 08 900 Custom that has 5000mi on it, almost always ridden solo, and the factory tires look like new... Diet it is :(...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts