Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading lots of posts and still am confused. I would like to add a BAK to my 14 vaquero and have a couple questions

ECU: want to get the ECU sent off to ivan but that won't happen till the off season . can i get a BAK now or do I have to wait till I get it flashed? I noted that Ivan wants to know if I have a BAK so it does appear to make some difference. I already have V&H exhaust and am seeing some decel popping and don't want to make the issue worse by getting a BAK before the ECU reflash

which one to buy: i have been shopping and getting quite confused.

I see the kuryakn ally cat
Kuryakyn Alley Cat Air Cleaner- Kawasaki VN1700 Vulcan/ Voyager and Vaquero Models (All)

and the thunder mfg mach 2 intake
https://www.thundermfg.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=489

I want to make sure I get all the pieces I need.

I also don't want one that sticks out too far on the right.

question: which one would you recommend? are there other kits?
question: does the kit come with a cover for the left side or do you need to buy this separate?

thanks in advance everyone

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a thunder tornado kit. It doesn't get in the way of your knee and it is the quietest of the BAK on the market. I/Ivan feel it acts like a partial ram air do to it's design. Plus it looks good IMO. Some folks don't like the sound of the motor/intake after putting on the other kits. DO NOT put on a BAK without some kind of additional fuel being added. IE: PCV or REFLASH which is better. I have Ivan's flash despite my signature...lol Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
followup:
emailed kuryakyn and this is their response:

alley cat

here is a link to the 9528 Alley cat air cleaner.

This is the only one we are currently offering for your model.

Thunder manufacturing may be offering different models as they make their own mounting.​

·
Registered
324 Posts
You really should have something to give the motor more fuel when adding an air kit. Flash or fuel controller.

The exhaust popping is an indication the motor is not getting enough fuel already.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You really should have something to give the motor more fuel when adding an air kit. Flash or fuel controller.

The exhaust popping is an indication the motor is not getting enough fuel already.
I thought that popping on deceleration was due to too much fuel, and some of it getting into the exhaust, where the hot metal causes it to combust?

My week-old, stock Vaquero pops on deceleration all the time, I really like it. Hopefully it wakes up the cager on her phone behind me, before she hits me.

-John

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I thought that popping on deceleration was due to too much fuel, and some of it getting into the exhaust, where the hot metal causes it to combust?
-John
No that is not true.
Adding fuel along with checking for vacume leaks is a solution for that.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I have chucksters and you retain stock look. Can't tell it's there.
+1 on the Chucksters. I love the standard look and this together with the Dobeck EJK & Vance & Hines slip ons really woke up my Nomad. Still get the occasional pop but nothing really to worry about. If I was not in OZ the ECU would definately be going to Ivan.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i have the ally cat and it does hit your right knee
looks good and sounds good but it does get a little uncomfy as it put your right leg out that bit making it not square on the floor board for long rides

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered chucksters kit. Retaining stock look. Should be here in. Few days. Thx everyone

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bubbadss, don't know if I'm stating the obvious but gonna ask anyways. Did you use Permatex Copper gasket maker when you installed the V&H's? If not, I'd really recommend going thru the trouble of reinstalling them else you'll still get popping even if everything is spot-on.

also, here's a nice little video about addressing popping

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Do you need a flash or fuel mapping for the Chuckster's kit?
Yes. The bikes already run lean from the factory. Adding a BAK will make them run way too lean with the stock fueling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts