Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve drilled out the baffles on my 2010 1700 Nomad. Have a k&n filter on existing spot. If I go big air kit do I need a fuel processor?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Why go big air when the k&n gives 5x the airflow of stock. My Nomad runs great just with that. Still considering ivanizing instead of processor. But with royal purple oil & k&n oil filter my performance and mileage is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
You won't need a fuel processor Jerry. No one uses them any more anyway - Ivan's ECU re-flash has rendered them obsolete. Search the forums for info. However your bike is configured, it will benefit hugely from having it done.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Suggest Jerry that you give Ivan a call to discuss your situation. Ivan is the guru of getting the most out of the Vulcans and I think he would steer you to the best decision for best performance and bang for your buck. My 2 cents. I can tell you that that having the stock dumbed down ECU reflashed by Ivan is the best single upgrade I have don on my otherwise bone stock 2016. Ivan's Performance Products

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Ok, I have a question. Not having an ECU, this doesn't apply to my bike. But I've read time and again of someone Ivanizing their ECU.

So here's the question: If getting the ECU reprogrammed in such a fashion does indeed bring the many advantages as is stated, (which I have no reason to doubt) why doesn't Kawasaki do this from jump street in, if nothing else, an effort to sell more bikes?

It seems that the stock ECU is junk compared to one reprogrammed thusly so a brand new bike with such an ECU would only make sense.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok, I have a question. Not having an ECU, this doesn't apply to my bike. But I've read time and again of someone Ivanizing their ECU.

So here's the question: If getting the ECU reprogrammed in such a fashion does indeed bring the many advantages as is stated, (which I have no reason to doubt) why doesn't Kawasaki do this from jump street in, if nothing else, an effort to sell more bikes?

It seems that the stock ECU is junk compared to one reprogrammed thusly so a brand new bike with such an ECU would only make sense.
Ahh, and there lies the million dollar question. Maybe Mr. Ivan should partner with Kawasaki and help make a performance/optioned out line of Vulcans...similar to Harley's CVO's?
Perhaps I am just dreaming.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Perhaps they should take a lesson from Triumph. If, when buying a Thunderbird for example, you opt for the "off-road" exhausts, or you purchase some aftermarket exhausts such as Hogslayers (and you have them install), the dealer will reprogram the ECU to accommodate the new advance required or fuel control etc.

So its all done before you ride the machine off the lot.

Offering different "stage" vehicles would be nice nod towards improving customer service.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Likely the stock ECU is set up to be way leaned out to help with emissions standards. Clue here is that even with the dumbed down ECU, Kawasaki has stopped selling in Europe reportedly due to the Voyager/Vaquero could not meet emission standards there. No longer selling in Australia too...not sure if emissions are part of the issue there or not.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Likely the stock ECU is set up to be way leaned out to help with emissions standards. Clue here is that even with the dumbed down ECU, Kawasaki has stopped selling in Europe reportedly due to the Voyager/Vaquero could not meet emission standards there. No longer selling in Australia too...not sure if emissions are part of the issue there or not.[/QUOTE]

Nothing to do with emissions- ours are reasonable compared to some others. I was only chatting with my dealer here in OZ about this last week as he has been trying to get his hands on a new Voyager for stock. His opinion is that Kawa OZ will not import unless they get dealers nationwide to commit to taking them all. He has no problems getting 900’s or 650’s & thinks this is where they are focusing their attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts