Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to post this up for some of the folks getting new bikes that don't really know what to expect as far as cost and options for upgrades to performance on this bike.

Recently I finished my Big 3 install (Intake, Pipes, Programmer) on my 2013 Vulcan 900. This is not a performance gain review, strictly a cost and ease of install type discussion. There are plenty of accounts of the approx. 20% gains to be had if this is done correctly. First off what did I spend -

Hard Krome 3" Drag Pipes - $375
I actually got the Road Burner brand which I am told is exactly the same and I found the best price on the big auction site. Quality is a 9 out of 10. There were a couple of small dirt pits on the chrome that nobody will ever see but me, and the rear pipe didn't quite slide in there exactly like I wanted it to. I will say that might have been a manufacturing issue on the Kawasaki side though because there was a noticeable lip of metal material on the mouth of the exhaust port. I did a mild bit of sanding on the mouth of the pipe and everything went together. Let me just say that whoever designed these pipes was 100% concerned about looks and 0% concerned about whether or not you can get a wrench in there to tighten the bolts. By far the toughest to access I have ever seen. Forget torque wrenches, your just going to be lucky to get anything in there to tighten it at all. Long story short they are tight and its worth every curse word spent.

Cobra Air Intake - $150
I got this for 2 reasons, price and looks. I wanted a simple understated intake that was functional and flowed good air at a good price and that is exactly what I got. Personally it doesn't overshadow the natural beauty of the heat fins on the engine and it lets the chrome on those 3" pipes shine. Install was less than 1 hr, and everything bolted up perfect. Instructions were great, and it couldn't have been any easier. I took the secondary throttle plates out while I was in there. See pic below.

Cobra FI2000r - $160
Chose this over the power pro basically for cost reasons. I also believe that it will do a plenty fine job of controlling the fuel on this bike for street use. This is so easy to install on this bike. It just couldn't be any easier. 15 minute install. Do not be afraid of this one for sure. Currently have it set to the factory setting, and I can say the bike starts and idles perfect. I haven't been out for a ride but I have run the revs up a bit and quickly released the throttle trying to produce a backfire and nothing. I also have the Marble Mod. It seems to be spot on the best I can tell without riding which is not worth much I suppose. I will be posting performance review later on.

So in summary I got the big 3 for $685 and installed everything myself which I think most folks could probably do with patience and a marginal supply of tools. That's basically less than the price I paid for a slip on exhaust for my sport bike. So to me that is "on the cheap" . I just want to say 1 more thing....... HOLY ROLLING THUNDER!!!!!!!!!! I started this thing up for the first time by opening my garage door, backing the bike up until the exhaust was actually just outside the door and firing it up. I still have the baffles in, and they are going to stay there because this thing is L O U D! After I shut it off I went inside and asked the wife if she could hear it and her response was "HEAR IT??? YOU VIBRATED THE ENTIRE HOUSE!!!" There is not a YouTube video around that even comes close to doing these pipes justice. I wear ear plugs anyway, but you would definitely need them with these pipes. I hope when I am out on the road the noise is mostly behind me. The wife's cats hid under the dresser and wouldn't come out for an hour! I cant imagine a better sound coming out of this little motor.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Good job! Now it's ready to take out and have some fun! Winter will be over in about a week for us, so my bike will be back on the road by this weekend. Whenever you like, I can bring my $20,000 bike down and you can see what you've got! :D

Let me just say that whoever designed these pipes was 100% concerned about looks . . .
They do look good! And, hey - looks are a huge part of motorcycles!!

Nicely done!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job! Now it's ready to take out and have some fun! Winter will be over in about a week for us, so my bike will be back on the road by this weekend. Whenever you like, I can bring my $20,000 bike down and you can see what you've got! :D

They do look good! And, hey - looks are a huge part of motorcycles!!

Nicely done!

Hey that sounds like fun, we actually have a few roads down here in northern Kentucky that I will say are as good if not better than the tail of the dragon. I have laid out a ride that takes a good part of the day with several stops, that goes over two ferries and has a stop in the famous "Rabbit Hash" Kentucky where the mayor is officially an old dirty dog that hangs around the general store. Its something to see for sure.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Thanks for the post. You Big 3 are exactly the same ones on my list. What baffles came with the Roadburners? The YouTube clips I've seen / heard didn't seem that bad, but I know that's no substitute for hearing them in person. I listened to a set of V&H Short Shots and they were waaaay too loud for my liking.

BTW, I really like Kawi's paint scheme on your bike. I wish the 2015 had that same look --- having the black on top and white on the sides just doesn't look as nice IMO.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the post. You Big 3 are exactly the same ones on my list. What baffles came with the Roadburners? The YouTube clips I've seen / heard didn't seem that bad, but I know that's no substitute for hearing them in person. I listened to a set of V&H Short Shots and they were waaaay too loud for my liking.

BTW, I really like Kawi's paint scheme on your bike. I wish the 2015 had that same look --- having the black on top and white on the sides just doesn't look as nice IMO.
I'm not sure what baffles they are, there just inside there when you buy the pipes. I might have to take them out one day just to hear the full awesomeness, but for now I twitch a little every time I fire the bike up. Forget YouTube for the sound, its not even close even if you have good speakers. These pipes are really loud. It could be that the bike was still partially in my garage, but no way I would ride without ear plugs. Nice low powerful tone. I live on one of the curvier roads in my area, and I have heard some crappy aftermarket pipes come by my house. These are really a good quality sound, but dang they are loud. I have an 1800 sq. ft. house and in the words of my wife they "vibrate the entire house". I have been around small engines all my life and it actually startled me a bit the first time I fired the bike up. Not nearly as much as when I installed the FIAMM freeway blaster and accidentally had it wired closed loop. Turned the key and it came on full blast in the garage with closed door. That was a chest clincher. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
its not that you had them in the garage theyre just that freaking loud! I ended up putting smartpartz hardcore quiet baffles in them on top of the normal baffles really toned them down but you still get the deep rumble and they're loud on acelleration sound perfect now. Before that my right ear was ringing after rides.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I ended up putting smartpartz hardcore quiet baffles in them on top of the normal baffles really toned them down...
Thanks Mex7. That's great to hear because I have already put the hardcore quiet baffles on my wish list.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not a problem. I had my god son help me install them and he went to go get us some drink while I cleaned up. I had fired the bike up and didnt hear him come back in when I gave the throttle a twist, I went deaf and he droped our drinks because it scared the crap out of him and simultaneously covering his ears.
I told my wife I needed different baffles to which she fought me on, ( complaining I already spent too much money) till I rode it to her place of work. Changed her mind real quick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put the same pipes on my 2013 classic also with the big 3 just different intake Once you get it out on the road it's not as loud. But I have rode it since I installed the intake

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I did a fair amount of research on this last night. The Res-Tech version of the Hard Krome 3" pipes along with the Smartpartz hardcore quiet baffles seemed to have gotten the most favorable reviews as far as overall sound and taking the edge off during idle. Unfortunately, it looks like the Res-Tech versions have been discontinued, at least as far as fit on the Vulcan 900 goes. I'm just hoping the 3" Drag Pros with the Smartpartz hardcore baffles will be an acceptable upgrade from the stock pipes without being tooo obnoxious.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow, I didn't think there were aftermarket pipes on earth that were louder then the Cobra Dragsters, seems like these are.

Damn I'd love to hear it in person. How loud are these at idle VS. WOT?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow, I didn't think there were aftermarket pipes on earth that were louder then the Cobra Dragsters,
LOL...thanks for the laugh. I have dragsters and yeah, they are LOUD!

Quiet cores and half of the original baffle in each pipe quieted it down nicely though.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Wow, I didn't think there were aftermarket pipes on earth that were louder then the Cobra Dragsters . . .
Those Dragsters are louder than all get-out. I love 'em! LOL!! The other half had them on his 900.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn I'd love to hear it in person. How loud are these at idle VS. WOT?
I would love to know that answer also. Unfortunately, just as I was about to remember what my driveway looked like, we are forecasted for another 10" of snow this afternoon. On my sport bike the pipes are quieter at idle and then get louder depending on how high you rev. Just from the 2-3k rpm rev's I have done with the bike in the garage, these pipes just go from freaking loud to freaking louder. I love pipes that are loud at idle. Lets face it, the stop light is where you make the most impressions anyway. I would take a video but its pointless. You just have to experience them in person.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I would love to know that answer also. Unfortunately, just as I was about to remember what my driveway looked like, we are forecasted for another 10" of snow this afternoon. On my sport bike the pipes are quieter at idle and then get louder depending on how high you rev. Just from the 2-3k rpm rev's I have done with the bike in the garage, these pipes just go from freaking loud to freaking louder. I love pipes that are loud at idle. Lets face it, the stop light is where you make the most impressions anyway. I would take a video but its pointless. You just have to experience them in person.
:D
NOPE!
Cracking the throttle in 2nd or 3rd is where I make my biggest impression. LOL!

The bike is looking sharp as h*ll though. Love that color scheme and the mods look great too!

Scott

·
Registered
536 Posts
Pipes look awesome and so does your bike. See my signature below!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah tell me about it. Most people say the Dragsters are impossibly loud, not just "loud" but ticket-me-now kind of loud, so I was wondering how these compare. One thing I did like about debaffling my stock ones, was at idle, that weren't loud enough to make people roll up their windows at intersections, so it was great to have them quiet when you wanted them to be (such as in underground parkades and the like). It sure would be interesting to see these. Alas I agree, most craptastic youtube vids really don't do it any justice.

As far as pipes are concerned, these are probably the most beautiful ones Ive seen on these bikes. So far it looks gorgeous, great job on it. Wow Im jealous. :D

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yeah tell me about it. Most people say the Dragsters are impossibly loud, not just "loud" but ticket-me-now kind of loud . . .
Maybe in Canada or California (or maybe Australia or Europe), but they aren't THAT loud everywhere else, especially in the U.S. They do have some serious bite to them, but there are some MUCH bigger bikes with MUCH louder pipes. LOL!

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Having had the miss-pleasure of riding behind my brother in laws VTX1300 who sports unbaffled hardchrome's, I gotta say they are about the most obnoxious pipes I have heard. I wont ride with him any more ... he is one of those idiots, who for some reason, his bike needs to be constantly revved at the traffic lights..... and I thought my freedom performance pipes were loud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts