Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know our bikes come stock with bias ply tires and I'm wondering why. I know the two designs are different so why did Kawasaki use bias ply instead of radial ? From what I've read, radial tires flex more in the corners thus providing more contact area and better traction. I've also read bias ply tires run hotter than radials.

A friend suggested switching to radials and was surprised to hear the bike comes stock with bias ply.

Opinions ?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know our bikes come stock with bias ply tires and I'm wondering why. I know the two designs are different so why did Kawasaki use bias ply instead of radial ? From what I've read, radial tires flex more in the corners thus providing more contact area and better traction. I've also read bias ply tires run hotter than radials.

A friend suggested switching to radials and was surprised to hear the bike comes stock with bias ply.

Opinions ?
Im not a tire expert, but I have switched to the E-3 180 radial and so far I am happy with the tire I have noticed no ill effects so far. I think the feel of the bike has improved and its cornering abilites seem to be enhanced with more lean angle and a bigger footprint. The ride seems to be alot smoother and more stable over breaks in the pavment and imperfections in the road. I choose to replace the front with the origanal because the match seems to be great to me so I didnt switch to the duny on the front. Im running the front at 38 and the back at the same and I always ride 2up 95% of the time.My shocks damping is at the highest setting and I keep the shock at 30-35lbs My weight is 225 and my wifes around 160, with the bike fully loaded I really dont notice much change,I almost like the feel of the extra weight.I now have over 10,000 mls on the E-3 and It seems sofar to be wearing great I will report my total miles when tire is shot,Most of all these miles are 2up my wife loves to ride and this bike seems to be built for 2up riding. Im happy overall with this tire,It also dosent seem to require the constant air presure checks it stays were I set it for weeks on end.The apperance of the 180 on the rear is awsome with its width,mechanic reported no mounting diffucultys and said it went on the rim like it was made for it. So far on a scale od 1-10 its a 10:D

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have had 3 flat rear tires at interstate speeds. One time on I-55 just outside Chicago and the next two on I-75 in Florida. The flat on I-55 and one of the flats on I-75 were on radial tires. Both of these resulted in the tire coming completely off the rim. With a God load of luck I was able to get the bike to a stop before all hell cut loose. Oh, when the two flats happened in Florida, we were riding 2 up. The other flat in Florida was on Bias ply tires and it stayed on the rim. Now I know this is not a scientific study with only 3 incidents to go by. I'm not willing to continue the study, this was enough for me. However, after pondering the reason why the radials came off the rim and the bias stayed on, I came to the conclusion that the stiffer bias ply sidewall may just be the reason the tire stayed on. Radials have very soft sidewalls. I now use only bias ply. Just my opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts