Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1700 Classic LT came with bias ply tires, but many tire selectors are suggesting Radial for my bike.

The rear bias ply is getting low, but If I want radials then I am going to need to swap out the front as well and it is still in relatively good shape.

Is the change to radials worth the expense? I don't have the loads that many put on the Voyager/Vaquero/Nomad so I don't really know if I would benefit from the radials.

What are other Classic owners doing for replacement tires?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think I read that the bias vs radial issue doesn't apply on bikes like it does on cars. My front is a bias and the rear is a radial CT and it doesn't have any handling issues. I don't think you can get any more mismatched than that.....except putting a knobby on the front.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Bias belted tyres don't have the bulge at the contact patch like radials do. This makes them less prone to punctures. Thats what it says, but I think thats rubbish.

I have ridden many miles on both. At one point my radial shod bike went for new tyres, and came back with bias belted. It was a big heavy ish tourer, although it was ridden like a sports bike. The transformation in handling was amazing. I didn't know that the tyre construction had changed until I went back to the workshop and asked, and was told that they had just got load of BB tyres in for appraisal. I wouldn't go over to a radial from a BB tyre, unless that's all that was available. I prefer BB tyres on this type of bike.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have bikes with radial, and bikes with bias ply. I would not put a bias ply on a bike designed for radial or a radial tire on a bike designed for bias ply.

If you are one with your bike you will notice a difference and the bike will want to wander a little on the highway.

If you just putt around on your bike you probably won't notice anything.

Of course, you can get used to anything. I mean, people get used to riding on a car tire, or a bike with extremely wide tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts