Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a michelin commander II put on the rear of my 9, the next day i was cleaning some grease off the rim where the mechanic must have touched it and happened to glance over at the vin number on this brand new tire. The lasr two digits are 09', woops, i just bought a brand new 6 year old tire. I never thought to look at it before i drove it home, but apparently the guy who sold it to me nor the mechanic that balanced and mounted it did not either, and it is incumbant on them to do so, we expect to get a 'new' tire when we buy one. I called the dealer, where i have bought two bikes in the past, and gotten a number of satisfied services there, they are ordering a 'new' tire and will replace this one when it comes in. Just an FYI....ride on..

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I bought an 09 Softail last year that had a slop on the back of it with a manufacture date of 1992. The tire was 17 years older than the bike.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Is there a problem with an old tyre? If it's been stored out of the sun then it should be ok I'd have thought.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Is there a problem with an old tyre? If it's been stored out of the sun then it should be ok I'd have thought.
http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/

My ex brother in law gave me his old 81 KZ 750 that had been sitting in a garage for 8 years. I rebuilt the carbs, new sprockets, chain, cables, fluids, etc. The tires looked great. I took it out on a freeway trip to the Montana border (60 miles away), went over a mountain top on a back road and rode 40 miles of the return trip on a two lane. I hit the freeway again to return home. When I got off the bike in the driveway, I went to fetch the mail. Walking back up to the bike I saw something white on the rear tire. Turns out the entire tread had been ''erased" by the pavement leaving a white stripe of nylon cord and steel belt. I had just been driving 75 MPH on the freeway with that. The tires had so much rubber rot they were chalky.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Replaced tires last year. Bought them from Jake Wilson. Dunlop 404's. Front was 1 year old made in Indonesia, rear was 3 made in Japan.........2 weeks later took a trip to Las Vegas and back almost 6,000 miles, temps from 36 to 101, no problem. Originals were 7 years old with 11,000 miles thin but not bald.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a new set of Metzler 888's put on my Vaquero last October by my local dealer. After complaining about a very rough ride along with vibrations at the dealership they discovered they installed a rear tire on the front of the bike.

The 130/90/16 is a pretty beefy tire & no one including me had noticed until the new tire guy found "rear tire" stamped in very small print on the tire.
I quess the 130/90/16 is available in a front & rear config. The dealer ended up ordering the wrong one.

The service mgr told me they were going to verify all tires before installing them from now on.

All is good now & I can say the Metzlers are running smooth.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I bought a set of used tires from a member here. They supposedly had only approx 1000 miles on them. There was indeed a good amount of tread left on them, and I got them for a decent price. Had them installed at the beginning of last season. I would bet I only have maybe 4k miles on them max and the rear tire is bald. So I would venture to say buying used, or using old tires does effect the life of them when they hit the pavement. So before this coming season I have a new set of Metzlers ready to be installed. Even tho the front tire is still ok I am going new anyways. Peace of mind!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts