Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yea, I knew he had bought a rebuilt gearbox but wanted to add these pics to this thread anyway. Figured it might help someone else some time because torquing that nut on the bike goes directly against instructions in the service manual.
I know it's been done and gotten away with but this is a much better method.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had started taking the radiator off but didn't so I'm already halfway there. I've got jacks both under the pan and under the frame rail where I took the two bolts out. I have to go find a better jack to continue however.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Yea, I knew he had bought a rebuilt gearbox but wanted to add these pics to this thread anyway. Figured it might help someone else some time because torquing that nut on the bike goes directly against instructions in the service manual.
I know it's been done and gotten away with but this is a much better method.
I can't understand anyone torquing the nut on the bike as the unit would have to be removed again to set the gear pattern, unless they just skipped that step.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't understand anyone torquing the nut on the bike as the unit would have to be removed again to set the gear pattern, unless they just skipped that step.
There are threads on various sites that recommend tightening that nut with the gearbox on the bike, using an impact wrench. There no way the correct torque will be applied like that. I just wanted to duplicate what the manual said without buying the special tool.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok, finally got enough space to get the bolt out. No idea how I'll get it back in yet. I took the radiator off, took the frame bolts out in the front and only loosened the rear ones. I pulled the front motor mount (long) bolt out just enough to get it out of the right hand side. Hope it doesn't get bent by doing it this way but don't feel terribly confy taking it completely out.

Now, I'm stuck at the linkage. I've tried prying it off with a screwdriver but it feels like I'm pulling the rod it's connected to in some bad way. I've spread it pretty far apart and still cannot get it off yet.

photo_2020-03-18_19-47-28.jpg photo_2020-03-18_19-47-33.jpg photo_2020-03-18_19-47-38.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Take a flat blade screwdriver and tap it with a hammer into the split. It won't take much but will loosen it up enough to slide off. Also notice there is a punch mark on the end of that shaft for realignment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I made my own punch marks just in case. I did split it. Here is how it looks now. Are you saying split it more? How far can I go without breaking it? Then again, at worse, I have to get a new one but getting the rod on/off looks like the hard part. Not even sure it's going to come off completely even when fully split.

The fact that I can see the spline rod it's connected to is moving in and out of the motor, is that ok?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
That's a difficult one. Try tapping it onto the shaft further to loosen it up then prying it off. Yes, that shaft should move in and out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is that shaft deeper into the engine or is it part of the bevel gear? Just curious.

I've got it very spread apart now but the bottom of the shift rod is still up against the frame.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I guess I should start using the same site instead of asking so many stupid questions.
Man, I'm so close I can smell the gas I'll fill the tank with to take it on a test ride.
Maybe I need to remove that rod from the shift lever.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
You should not have to. The shift lever should just hang down by it. Did you get it loose enough to remove?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can't get it off, the bottom part is up against the frame. I'll try again in while, I was in a rush. I'm doing this while also working from home.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got it off and I assume I should expect metal bits. I cleaned it as best I can using a magnet and a magnetized screwdriver. It almost looks like this whole area overheated a lot or maybe that brown color is normal. No idea. The oil was very black. Hope I didn't do any other damage.

Guess it would also just mean an earlier oil change once it's all done. Maybe I should blow it out with an air hose?

photo_2020-03-19_14-41-52.jpg photo_2020-03-19_14-41-44 - Copy.jpg photo_2020-03-19_14-41-48.jpg photo_2020-03-19_14-41-39.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got the new gear in, all the bolts ready to go, Just one question.
The gear with spring fell out so I wasn't quite sure if there is a specific way to put it back in. It doesn't look like it.

I've got everything buttoned up but not tightened yet since I cannot push the assembly up against the motor. I think that spring is preventing the assembly from being tight against the motor. If that is normal, then when I start tightening the bolts, it should go tight.
Anything else I need to look for before I tighten?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I decided to go ahead and put the new assembly in.
There was a bit of a clunk as something lined up as I got the bolts snug. I assume that is the spring setting up against the front of the gear/whatever.

My concern that I missed something is this post I found.

As I pulled the bevel gear case off the bike there was a large spring and gear part inside that >was loose, but it was easy to tell where it went. The shift shaft (at the bottom) had a washer >on it, and I left that in place.
I never checked those things.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok well, maybe I wore out my welcome but I guess I should finish this for anyone else that finds this thread.
Getting things back together is the reverse but there are some things that aren't totally clear.

First, the bit of a clunk as I tightened the screws on the bevel gear assembly bug me.
Second, the manual says torque is 8.6Lbs for the 6mm and 22Lbs for the 8mm bolt but I immediately broke a bolt even though my torque was set to 8. I had to reverse it out so I hand tightened the rest, tight but not crazy. No idea if it's too much so bit nervous about that. Also wondering if I should have put red loc tite as I do on practically everything else.

I got the engine bolts back in no problem, got the radiator and all that stuff back together.

Now I'm fighting with the drive shaft. So far, not able to get it in. Not sure if there is a specific notched spot or something so have to do some research. I tried lining it up and pushing it onto over and over but it won't go in. I'm sure it will be something simple.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts