Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok, totally forgot to remove the oil so got a bit of a surprise.
How do you deal with the one bolt that is up against the frame?
And, how do you deal with the clutch rod that's in the way? It doesn't have enough room to pull off.

Sure looks like the motor has to move over to the right to get both those parts out.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Sometimes you may have to loosen the rear motor mount bolt to get the extra clearance you need. It is a very long bolt that runs the length of the engine. May need to completely remove it and place a jack under the engine to raise or lower it to allow access.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's what I was worried about. You say 'sometimes', does this mean there is another way? :). I read another thread where you mention 'Take a flat blade screwdriver, drive it into the slot enough to spread the ends till it disengages the splines, then rotate it for removal'

Unfortunately, that doesn't take care of the one bolt that is up against the frame.
Ok so, if I have to put a jack under the engine, is it safe to put it under the pan? It's kind of all I have access to at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
For some reason, some bikes will have enough clearance to remove the clutch rod. You should be OK putting the jack under the pan. A small square of plywood on top the jack would be helpful also.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
This is better than Gas Monkey I have really found this interesting as well as informative. Kudos to LeftFoot for jumping right into this blind, takes balls. And a huge thanks to Bandit for guiding other members with his wealth of knowledge

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Bearslayer. Bandit earned my trust early on when joining forums with his consistent help and knowledge toward others. I probably would not have tried this if it were not for his guidance and amazing patience in helping. I feel bad asking so many questions but then I'm also a bit over my head :).

·
Registered
65 Posts
So looking online, there is mention of four motor mount bolts in the front and in the rear. I cannot seem to find anything about one long bolt. That said, to just raise the motor the inch or so I'll need, are there any other things you can think of that I'll need to be aware of, wires/parts that could break when raising the motor?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ah, I thought I was looking for something that went front to back. This is much simpler. I'll get on this later or tomorrow and update.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I loosened the motor mount bolt and testing for clearance. It appears that a lot of things will be in the way of raising the motor from the rear. Hoses, connectors, maybe some other things I cannot clearly see. I've not fully removed the bolt however so will try that later and see where I get.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've jacked as much as I dare to but it's still half an inch below the frame. I'm not 100% sure what the engine might be pushing against when I raise it up but I can only raise it maybe half an inch. Something is preventing it from going up higher or I'm just nervous to raise it harder hearing all the creaking sounds.

photo_2020-03-18_11-48-44.jpg photo_2020-03-18_11-48-53.jpg photo_2020-03-18_11-48-57.jpg photo_2020-03-18_11-49-02.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is how I rigged the bike to get this job going. Note that I purchased the 1000Lb motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight which I usually do not like buying from. Their stuff just plain breaks as you use it. I bought two jacks, both leaked. I should have known better and this lift came with missing foot pedals. Their solution was 'bring it back' which is nonsense since it's a very heavy lift that comes in a wooden box so getting it all installed only to find missing pedals was frustrating. Since then, they tell me there are no pedals anywhere and they may be on back order. Based on the conversations I've had with their support, they are well aware of this problem but do not bother to tell customers at the cash, only after they find out for themselves.

photo_2020-03-15_16-55-28.jpg photo_2020-03-18_11-49-16.jpg photo_2020-03-18_11-49-20.jpg photo_2020-03-18_11-49-25.jpg photo_2020-03-18_11-49-29.jpg photo_2020-03-18_11-49-33.jpg photo_2020-03-18_11-50-00.jpg photo_2020-03-18_11-50-04.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I would not try to raise the engine any higher as it looks like the valve cover is against the frame. The other option is to remove the frame member on the right side, remove the rear engine bolt completely and let the engine drop down enough to remove that bolt. There is enough slack in the wiring and cables to allow for this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I completely removed the long bolt that goes fully across the motor. Is there another somewhere I'm not seeing? You can see daylight through to the other side :).

photo_2020-03-18_11-48-48.jpg

I was wondering about down so I tried that too but it didn't go far enough. Dang, now we're talking about taking the frame apart. Yikes.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
You are going to have to get the engine loosened up enough to get to that bolt. There is only one bolt, (the one you removed), for the rear engine mount. There are two shorter ones for the front. It is very common to remove the right side frame member as that has to come off to remove the engine. Not to worry, the frame will not flex and it is easy to reinstall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's something I made to hold the shaft while torquing the nut. Don't remember what size it was, but found a bolt a little too big then removed metal until it fit as I wanted. It's very similar to the factory tool and allows the nut to be torqued to spec off the bike.
KBSS9936.JPG
IMG_0940.JPG

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry justacrossthehill, I'm not sure what bolt we're talking about? There's a special factory tool needed at some point??

I've taken the two bolts out of the front frame, loosened the front motor mounts and there is not much movement going on. I'm nervous about taking the front motor mount bolts off completely and watch the engine fall out.

There is still not enough space to get that one bolt out and I've no idea how to deal with the shift lever mount that also has no room for removal.

I think I'm in trouble and just taking more and more off and maybe going to get over my head. If I had been around bikes, installing, removing engines, I'd have some idea of what to expect but being alone doing this, I never know where the weight might be, those kinds of things.

I should have started a full new thread for all this.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
The tool he is referencing is for rebuilding the bevel gear unit. It does not concern you as you have already purchased a rebuilt unit. Don't panic yet as you will get thru this. If you have a floor jack place it under the engine oil pan, go ahead and remove the front engine mounts. You will then be able to twist the engine to the right and be able to remove the bolt. If you haven't already, drain the radiator and remove it for safety. Don't want to have to replace it,

61 - 80 of 130 Posts