Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. Perhaps this has been asked here before.

600 miles in to my new (well new to me) Vulcan 900 Classic and I hate the stock seat. It is fine for riding around town, but on a longer trip, it will not do.

What aftermarket seat replacement would you recommend? Are there comfortable seats for 2006 Vulcan 900 that just drop-in with no extra brackets or an expensive trip to a dealer for installation?

I see there are some options available, Crobin for example, also Mustang, (though they do not list seats for 900, only for 2000.

Your recommendations for a seat that provides max comfort on long trips?

Much appreciated.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
There's a lot of seats out there. I actually like the stock seat. I tried the Mustang but it felt like I was pushed forward and I started getting cramps in my hips. It all depends what your most comfortable on. Try ebay to get some ideas.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@GFISH Thank you or your reply.
Yes I agree, for the short runs around town the stock seat on Vulcan works just fine. In that short time the foam does not have time to collapse and the seat feels comfortable. But after an hour and a half of non stop riding (at least in my case) the foam collapses and provides virtually no support. The seat becomes hard and develops "hot spots". If I get off the bike for 15 minutes, it "bounces" back and I can go for another hour or so.

You say Mustang seat pushes you forward. That is precisely what I want to avoid, and that is precisely what happens to me on the stock sear after an hour. (Maybe I am not riding the cruiser properly?)

I found these guys Corbin Motorcycle Saddles & Accessories. They are about 100 miles south of me. They make custom seats for just about any bike. They also offer a ride-in service at the factory and they can mold a seat specifically to the individual rider. But for a custom seat like that I have to go in and make a butt impression (literally), because they adjust mold from which they make the seat for the custom fit to the rider so to meet the best possible agronomical fit.

They also sell their stock online and ship world-wide. Starting at $250 and goes up...

Have anyone tried their services?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you're considering a Corbin, go try them out, especially if they're that close. I had a Corbin and loved it, but not everybody does. It will move you down and back slightly, but some people find them uncomfortable.

Also look at Parts Unlimited, Saddlemen, Russell, and Ultimate for 900 seats.

Parts Unlimited Double Bucket seat
Saddlemen seats
Ultimate seats

If you can put gas in your bike, you have the mechanical skill necessary to change the seat.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic info @Graybush. Thank you.
Turns out all I have to do is pop one seat out and lock the new seat in. No welding or adapting frame required.

Down and back - I think I'd like that. Because now I am sliding forward and constantly trying to adjust my position back.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It's hard to recommend a specific seat for anyone, as everyone has a different shape and anatomy. That being said, I have to agree, the stock seat is only useful for being replaced with something comfortable.

The Corbin seat works for some, however, you have to have a Corbin butt, and not all that many can survive a Corbin. I prefer the Russell Daylong Saddle. They are a true custom made seat, fashioned specifically for the individual rider rather than being an off-the-shelf seat made to fit "some." While the appearance is somewhat of a turn-off for some folks, the degree of comfort can't be denied, and while a Russell is expensive, its comfort factor makes it worth the money, especially if you like ride long distances.

You can view their website at
www.day-long.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ride a 900 with stock seat. I put an "air hawk" on and love it. I have taken two long trips on it. Each over 1000 miles, sometimes over 10 hr. days. I couldn't have done it on just the stock seat. Some people complain that it makes the rider sit too high off the seat but the secret is don't add too much air. Use just enough to get you off the seat.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I had a Mustang on the 900 and I loved it. It's a great seat. It does sit you higher, which didn't bother me after about the first 15 minutes in the saddle. Incredibly comfortable, and worth the cash. Hands down.

On the VN2000, I just got an Ultimate Seat. I prefer it over the Mustang, but it's apples to oranges, since their on different bikes. The Ultimate is really soft and much wider (more surface area for my big a...bum).

Here is a picture of the stock VN2K seat with the Ultimate.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So many options out there...

I'll assume that you have an older (pre 2014) bike. Didn't say if you have a passenger to think of either. Mine is a 2012 and there is no seam or split in support separating the bottom of seat to back support, if you could call it that. Seemed like the seat was "pushing" back and causing back pressure. All that being said, yes, I agree, the seat sucks! Did a little research and purchased a Saddlemen Solo seat. Took a couple hours in the seat to break it in. Good support without being squishy. Back of seat rises enough for support if you sit back in it a little. (Don't know your height, I'm 5'6") Happy with my mid- priced purchase. Been on several 200-250 mile rides in one day with no problem. Of course sitting in one spot too long can get uncomfortable as we age. :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Vernon, which one did you get? I see one for $100 (air hawk 2) and others from $169 to $300.

I ride a 900 with stock seat. I put an "air hawk" on and love it. I have taken two long trips on it. Each over 1000 miles, sometimes over 10 hr. days. I couldn't have done it on just the stock seat. Some people complain that it makes the rider sit too high off the seat but the secret is don't add too much air. Use just enough to get you off the seat.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oooh.
Thank you guys for all your replies. I did not get any notifications at all. So I did not know there is action on this thread. Looks like there are some choices. Some I did not know about. (Obviously).

Corbin has off the shelve seats, but they are really close to me, and they have a ride-in service, where they make sit custom for my body shape. I think I might give that a shot…

Yes it is a Vulcan 900 made in 2006 with 10,000 miles on it. I am making some modifications on it, 34/62 pulleys to gear it up more for highway rather then 0/60 drag race, speedohiller, and the fuel gauge fix with a 270 ohm resistor. 2006 was the year when they made their first one, so there are plenty of annoyances, but I think they are fixable.

I will keep on watching the thread (manually) for different opinions. Fantastic info. Thank you all!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Corbin has off the shelve seats, but they are really close to me, and they have a ride-in service, where they make sit custom for my body shape. I think I might give that a shot…
I had a friend do that. It worked really well for her. She is a bit on the short side, and they were able to lower and push her forward. The only problem I had, was when I tried to ride her bike... ha ha, I had to bring a different seat because I couldn't fit on hers. (She let me take her VN900 while my 2k was in the shop)

I will keep on watching the thread (manually) for different opinions. Fantastic info. Thank you all!
If you go into your control panel, you can change the notification settings to instant through email. That will adjust all the threads previously subscribed to as well.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I had a Corbin on mine and I loved it. I really liked that they're available in colors other than black.

Mine was not fit to my butt, but after it broke in it might as well have been. A firm seat but I found it very comfy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the Mustang two up (2peice) seat on my 1600 and have spent several hrs at a time in it and have absolutely no complaints.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a Corbin on mine and I loved it. I really liked that they're available in colors other than black.

Mine was not fit to my butt, but after it broke in it might as well have been. A firm seat but I found it very comfy.
That is a nice looking ride. With the white walls and brown leather. :)

Yeah, I've been all over their site. They can make it in just about any sort of leather combination, snake, crock, etc...

Judging by the reviews on Yelp they are not very good at dealing with customers over Internet. The best way is to go in. All who went in, leave 5 stars, most who dealt with them over the net leave 1 star.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the Mustang two up (2peice) seat on my 1600 and have spent several hrs at a time in it and have absolutely no complaints.
Hello @HalfBreed - For a Mustang seat, do you need some special brackets, or is it just a drop-in replacement? Also how is their return policy if I end up not quite satisfied it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts