Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a California 900, with the upgraded front pulley for a bit higher end, cobra pipes.....bike runs great and I love it. I just wish I could get a bit more highway performance (70+ range). Some say a new rear pulley?? I thought about a power commander etc., but everyone seems to think that the gain is very minimal. I guess it is what it is, a 900 and I should not expect more. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I just wish I could get a bit more highway performance (70+ range).

I thought about a power commander etc.,

but everyone seems to think that the gain is very minimal.
A front or rear pulley drops the RPM's, Im not sure this bike has enough "mustard" to pull all the way to the top end with just these 2 changes.

A big air kit, aftermarket pipes and a power commander IV that is Dyno'd should kick your HP from 43 HP at the rear wheel to around 57.5 HP at the rear wheel with a reasonable increase in Torque.

Thats a 24.5 % increase, certainly not minimal. These numbers are from a dyno chart that was recently posted on here.

Your variations will be ...

California EPA model
Height above sea Level
Competent tuner who knows what they are doing.

No 2 bikes are exactly the same, but your numbers should be close.

Remember .... it is a V twin cruiser, not a crotch rocket.:)

Speed costs money, how much do you have and how fast do you want to go.

Good luck, Maurice.

BTW ... this was your first post, welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have a California 900, with the upgraded front pulley for a bit higher end, cobra pipes.....bike runs great and I love it. I just wish I could get a bit more highway performance (70+ range). Some say a new rear pulley?? I thought about a power commander etc., but everyone seems to think that the gain is very minimal. I guess it is what it is, a 900 and I should not expect more. Any thoughts?
You can't get much better than name brand after market pipes and a free flow air cleaner. Add to that a PCV with the additional AutoTune and you're getting close to the max. power for what we have. For snappier throttle response you can remove the secondary throttle plates after you install the fuel processor.

·
Registered
427 Posts
When it comes time to put on new tires, I'm going to put on a bigger 200 rear tire...I understand that reduces the rpms and brings the speedometer much closer to accurate. That's about a 10% decrease in rpms, so when now it revs a bit high at 70mph, you're only actually traveling about 63mph. With the bigger 200 tire, 63 will be no problem and it will be a true 70 before it gets buzzy at all.

I don't know if that addresses your performance issue as it doesn't increase power per se, but it's an easy upgrade that will make highway traveling more pleasant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts