Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for ideas on a better/dual helmet lock on my 900 Classic LT. I am not real fond of having to the lift the seat every time I stop somewhere. Will also need a second lock for when I have a passenger. I have thought about a trunk, but not into that look at this time.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been meaning to post this for a while..........

I always leave my lid on the right side mirror. Always have. Never had one stolen yet, but then when I was looking at the Victory bikes recently they have a helmet lock built in to the bar end of the right handle bar. Neat idea.

A few hours later the idea was whirling around in my mind, and I thought well I could lock the helmet to the mirror stem with a small padlock. I was in Spain at the time, and picked up a small padlock for 2 euros which fits neatly around the mirror stem and the helmet strap so that the quick release buckle is trapped.

Okay it's not a million percent secure, but it would be difficult to get the helmet free of the bike, and in a useable condition with an intact strap. Would certainly stop an opportune thief.

So now thats what I do, and is certainly quicker than removing the seat.

Will post picture if anyone one wants clarification.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That license plate helmet lock is really cool. but I've never really locked my lid. I just hang it on the handlebar.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good idea. Never would have thought of that.

I will be honest in that I don't lock my helmet 100% of the time. If I know for a fact it will be safe, I just put it on the mirror. Otherwise it is locked. My Honda had a nice lock and it has me almost spoiled with its ease of use.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I use a cable lock which runs through the full face helmet face opening. I can't see how a lock on the chin strap is secure. If you have an open face helmet than that's not a consideration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I park my full-face lid on the sissy bar and run a cable lock ($10 from China) through the lid to the bar. Between the risers works too. It would take a good cable cutter to pilfer the lid.

It's not the fact that the lid gets stolen or hidden / moved for spite, it's the fact that you're stranded, since you can't ride without a lid.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
... can't LEGALLY ride. I like the cable idea for an inexpensive option... until I get a trunk that will handle two buckets. Thanks for the idea! Saw this and thought it would work as well: http://store.valueaccessories.net/helmetlocksingleorpairfitskuryakynisogrips.aspx
Vulkid
Well, when you're a couple of hundred kilometres away from home, can't and legally mean the same thing. What I never liked about using / relying on the chin strap, is that anyone with a knife can have your lid in 5 seconds. Not everyone bothers to use the chin strap - lid thieves especially.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Kuryaken makes a helmet lock that i bought and attached to my highway bars down by the brake pedal, strap of the helmet fits nicely over the brake pedal and locks to the crash bars, helmet rests there too, i think i bought it at cruiser customizing for about $35.....ride on.....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Okay, so how does a standard helmet lock work??? It locks part of the strap into a small key operated lock, meaning you cannot get the helmet free of the bike without either opening the lock, or, cutting the strap. This principle relies on the would be thief thinking he or she can't sell the helmet on to make money and feed their habit if the helmet cannot be used, and without a strap it's useless. Any device that locks the helmet below knee height (crash bar locks) means that any passing dog that takes a shine to your ride, or likes the smell of your lid can piss all over it.

I lock my lid to the mirror stem. Yes I know ultimately the mirror can be removed, but it would take too long to do for any self respecting thief I think.

It works for me. If you like the idea then good. If not, thats okay too.

(Forgive the blurred photos, I'm on my 3rd beer) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not if you don't like the stench of dog piss round your head, which personally I don't.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I like using the passenger backrest to lock my helmet. I use a small pad lock that's big enough to latch around sissy bar and the d-loops of the helmet.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
I always carried a cable type like BillF6531 shows in his picture in his post when I had my 900 Classic LT. Locked two helmets to the backrest and let the helmets lay on the passenger seat. Available a most gun shops fairly inexpensive. The 1700 Nomad I have now has locks built into the rear crash bars on either side but I still carry a gun lock out of habit.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Another +1 to the cablelock. Works great. Although I've since "upgraded" to a tour pak where my helmet now goes.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I just wear mine into the bank, store or restaurant! LOL!

Just kidding. But I do see guys who do. Sometimes even couples. It's a hoot to see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts