Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a nice ride yesterday. I met up with the Hollywood M/C Riders and we cruised down to Key Largo to have brunch at Jimmy Johnson's restaraunt called the BIG CHILL. I ordered the caramelized french toast with mango slices, best darn french toast i have ever had!

The groups itinery was to hang out at the pool and ride back home. I was itching for a ride and Key West was my goal, so i left them to have fun there and headed down south.

If anyone has done that trip it can be a bit on the slow side, and it was in some places. I got down to KW and to the southern most tip, parked in near the bouy and snapped a couple of pics. There was a loooong line of peeps waiting to get their pics taken at the bouy, it's such a popular destination.

I cruised thru KW and eventually made it to Duval street where i stopped for a bite to eat and a KW shirt. After that i headed back home.

Bout halfway up the keys i stopped for fuel. This tank ended up being the furthest i have gone on a tank of gas with just about the best fuel mileage.

I actually had 49.2 mpg when i pulled into the gas station but i lost .1 mpg when i cranked up the skoot to park it and grab sumthin to drink!!

My speedo is within 1 mph of radar and gps now that i have the larger rear tire on it, so this is pretty accurate. The tank took 5.259 gllns to fill and i always fill to within 1/4" of the top of the tank (if the pump allows a slow delivery rate), so i may have had 20 or so miles left on the tank according to my calculations, but those are based on Kawi's 5.3 glln spec. I now have a better idea of how far i can go under these ridin conditions.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had a nice ride yesterday. I met up with the Hollywood M/C Riders and we cruised down to Key Largo to have brunch at Jimmy Johnson's restaraunt called the BIG CHILL. I ordered the caramelized french toast with mango slices, best darn french toast i have ever had!

The groups itinery was to hang out at the pool and ride back home. I was itching for a ride and Key West was my goal, so i left them to have fun there and headed down south.

If anyone has done that trip it can be a bit on the slow side, and it was in some places. I got down to KW and to the southern most tip, parked in near the bouy and snapped a couple of pics. There was a loooong line of peeps waiting to get their pics taken at the bouy, it's such a popular destination.

I cruised thru KW and eventually made it to Duval street where i stopped for a bite to eat and a KW shirt. After that i headed back home.

Bout halfway up the keys i stopped for fuel. This tank ended up being the furthest i have gone on a tank of gas with just about the best fuel mileage.

I actually had 49.2 mpg when i pulled into the gas station but i lost .1 mpg when i cranked up the skoot to park it and grab sumthin to drink!!

My speedo is within 1 mph of radar and gps now that i have the larger rear tire on it, so this is pretty accurate. The tank took 5.259 gllns to fill and i always fill to within 1/4" of the top of the tank (if the pump allows a slow delivery rate), so i may have had 20 or so miles left on the tank according to my calculations, but those are based on Kawi's 5.3 glln spec. I now have a better idea of how far i can go under these ridin conditions.

RACNRAY
Thats great but no one on this forum will belive you!!! I get 45-46 but no one wants to admit there are a few bikes that get this kinda mileage,I belive you!:skeleton:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
That truly is amazing! My 1600 Mean Streak gets around 43 MPG, my KLR 650 gets 47 MPG, my Versys gets 50 MPG, and my Voyager averages 39 MPG. When I compare the bikes the mileages I am getting make sense.

Of course I am not riding on flat straight Florida roads though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My speedo is within 1 mph of radar and gps now that i have the larger rear tire on it, so this is pretty accurate. The tank took 5.259 gllns to fill and i always fill to within 1/4" of the top of the tank (if the pump allows a slow delivery rate), so i may have had 20 or so miles left on the tank according to my calculations, but those are based on Kawi's 5.3 glln spec. I now have a better idea of how far i can go under these ridin conditions

I,ve got as high as 45mpg riding here in Ohio to West Va, up an down Mts..Avg about 37 to 38 around town..
Ray wat size tire did you go with, an why?// Was it to make speedo more accurate...

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
That's what, 175 miles or so, each way? In the blistering heat of South Fla, in late July? Dang, you must have an air conditioned riding suit!!!
Congrats on the mileage, as Eric said, the nice open flat roads are quite different than his in Tn or mine in Ky. I barely get that mileage with my 800A

·
Kiwi Voyager
55 Posts
Damn thats good mileage, if I have my conversions correct, I get typically between 17 & 18 kilometers per litre, which I think is 39 to 42MPG, Thats cruising fairly sedately at 100-110KPH (62-68 MPH), there seems to be a sweet spot at that speed and I get best miles, Our roads dont tend to be long or straight, or even flat so there is a little bit of work involved :) I tend to think of 340 kilometers (211) miles per tank and look for fuel around 290-300kms

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Tire info

My speedo is within 1 mph of radar and gps now that i have the larger rear tire on it, so this is pretty accurate. The tank took 5.259 gllns to fill and i always fill to within 1/4" of the top of the tank (if the pump allows a slow delivery rate), so i may have had 20 or so miles left on the tank according to my calculations, but those are based on Kawi's 5.3 glln spec. I now have a better idea of how far i can go under these ridin conditions

I,ve got as high as 45mpg riding here in Ohio to West Va, up an down Mts..Avg about 37 to 38 around town..
Ray wat size tire did you go with, an why?// Was it to make speedo more accurate...
When i tried to order a new rear tire for my skoot both the oem replacement and the generic Bridgestones were not available in the 170/70-16 sizes and being on back order long enuff that i would have worn down the tire far enuff that the air on the inside would have been showing!! LOL

What was available was the 180/70-16 B/stone. It went on with no clearance issues. It also did a few things to the skoot. It raised the rear end which decreased the front end's effective rake and allows for a quicker turn-in. It also increased my lean angle in the turns and makes it harder to touch down my floor boards, so i have more ground clearance.

The speedo was off about 4 mph when the stock tire was new and the mph error got larger as the tire wore down. This larger tire has the speedo off only about 1 mph, so engine and speedo speed are both reduced from stock. There was a slight loss in acceleration due to the lower overall gear ratio but i have gotten used to it. The other advantages far outweigh that.

The original tire was replaced at 5700 mls, so i hope this larger tire will last longer

RACNRAY

·
Registered
900 Posts
My bike gets this when set on MPG UK which is a bigger gallon. But I ussually use the metric measurement of L/100km. I also use a larger rear tire and am about a mph out on the gps but when measuring fuel refilled and distance my computer is overzealous by about .4L/100km. I wonder if running in that low altitude dense air helps. Im at 2850' where I live.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Fuel Milage

RACNRAY
Ray
If I remember right you have done numerous mods; big air, pipes, ECM, just to mention a few. If I've got that right did you check your fuel milage with the stock set up so we stock guys could get an idea of what type of fuel mileage to expect with your mods. I'm in east Texas and 38 to 40 mpg seems to be the usual number to expect riding between 65 and 70 mph. I have seen 42 to 43 on a cool day just poking along, but nothing like yours. Your input is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ray
If I remember right you have done numerous mods; big air, pipes, ECM, just to mention a few. If I've got that right did you check your fuel milage with the stock set up so we stock guys could get an idea of what type of fuel mileage to expect with your mods. I'm in east Texas and 38 to 40 mpg seems to be the usual number to expect riding between 65 and 70 mph. I have seen 42 to 43 on a cool day just poking along, but nothing like yours. Your input is appreciated.
Thanks
Yes, my skoot has some mods and the whole combination has helped the mpg.
I did my own intake mod (aka big air), slip-ons with highly modified free-flowing baffles, PCV with custom map. Heck, switching from petroleum oil to Amsoil got me about one more mpg.When the skoot was stock and before the Amsoil it averaged in the 35-39 mpg with the occasional high of 42-43 mpg.
All these mpg figures were from the mpg meter on the skoot.

I got to thinkin last nite and felt there was some kinda mathmatical error in the mpg vs mileage vs what it took to fill up the tank, somethin wasn't figurin out right in my head.

Let see, filling up the tank with 5.259 gllns after going 231.6 mls, by my
calculations this mornin actually nets 44.038 mpg. Doesn't match Kawi's mpg meter, purty darn far off.

So as soon as i can i'm gonna strap my gps back onto the skoot and do a loop. I'll then be able to determine how accurate the odo is on the skoot. I kinda have the feeling the odo and the gas pumps are pretty accurate, and Kawi's mpg meter a bit? optimistic!

We shall see.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mileage

Hi Ray,

I have only done the Amsoil and Tri-oval slip ons but I have seen a best of 43.8 mpg calculated and normally run right around 42 mpg. The motor definitely runs better with just those 2 changes so I am looking forward to getting a breather kit and a fuel processor in the fall. I rode an Electra Glide Limited with a set of pipes on it from Jacksonville to Key West and back in December and never saw anything better than 40 mpg.

Stuart

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ray
Thanks
Racnray love that painted dash,gives me soom ideas! wonder if I could get the face of it off and have mine painted to match my bike that would be awsome!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
My stock 09 Voyager with the ECU swap done gets 35-42 2 up riding and I have gotten 45+ when keeping the rpm under 2500 on the highway. Averaging around 42 on a poker run.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After I read something about keeping the RPMs to around 2700 I tried it on a full tank of gas yesterday. Did some state highways, in town and interstate. When I did the mile/gallons on fill up, I got right at 40. That's up from the 36 I usually get. The bike also felt much better keeping the RPMs up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mpg

Yes, my skoot has some mods and the whole combination has helped the mpg.
I did my own intake mod (aka big air), slip-ons with highly modified free-flowing baffles, PCV with custom map. Heck, switching from petroleum oil to Amsoil got me about one more mpg.When the skoot was stock and before the Amsoil it averaged in the 35-39 mpg with the occasional high of 42-43 mpg.
All these mpg figures were from the mpg meter on the skoot.

I got to thinkin last nite and felt there was some kinda mathmatical error in the mpg vs mileage vs what it took to fill up the tank, somethin wasn't figurin out right in my head.

Let see, filling up the tank with 5.259 gllns after going 231.6 mls, by my
calculations this mornin actually nets 44.038 mpg. Doesn't match Kawi's mpg meter, purty darn far off.

So as soon as i can i'm gonna strap my gps back onto the skoot and do a loop. I'll then be able to determine how accurate the odo is on the skoot. I kinda have the feeling the odo and the gas pumps are pretty accurate, and Kawi's mpg meter a bit? optimistic!

We shall see.

RACNRAY
Ray
I also try to fill up the same way as you, and I thought something looked a little off but didn't put a pencil to it at the time. Still 44 mpg is pretty darn good, of which I would be very pleased, and my computer also has a tendency to be "optimistic". I am interested in doing the afore mentioned mods, but I think I'm a little leery of messing with that computer. I personally am look forward to your next test with the GPS.
Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts

RACNRAY
Been there and have a picture myself by the buoy buried in some closet somewhere:D. Great picture though and you are brave. I'm a big chicken and always fill it up around 150 miles. When the damn thing starts flashing I head for gas. I wish it was more accurate.
Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ray
I also try to fill up the same way as you, and I thought something looked a little off but didn't put a pencil to it at the time. Still 44 mpg is pretty darn good, of which I would be very pleased, and my computer also has a tendency to be "optimistic". I am interested in doing the afore mentioned mods, but I think I'm a little leery of messing with that computer. I personally am look forward to your next test with the GPS.
Thanks
Weather permitting i will ride a loop tonite with the gps to see how close the odo is. It is not so nice to have this feeling the mpg meter is so far off and that others have found out also. My old Dodge Ram had a mpg meter and it was really accurate. To have a 4mpg difference is an innacuracy that really should not be there.

I guess this just adds to the overall innacuracies of Jap meters, speedos reading high, tachometers on most jap skoots reading 400-500 rpm too high, and now our mpg meters reading high.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine just depends on speed and wind. I average around 43 mpg. Last week I rode @ 2,700 - 2,800 rpms with a head wind and got 34 mpg. Got 44 mpg on the return trip. Did a group ride of over 160 miles this weekend with no interstate and averaged 48 mpg. Stock set up except for K&N air filter and run 87 or 89 octane (89 is what I normally run, but use 87 when I'm getting gouged). My speedometer is off - have to go 64 to do 60. MPG drop with the correction calculated. Going Darkside with a bigger tire (205 60 16) to correct the speedometer within the next month when the tire is worn out. I have also been using "Ride On" Motorcycle Dynamic Balancer & Tire Sealant. No problems - Smooth ride, easy installation, and peace of mind. I also put it in my wife's Can-Am Spyder.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Mpg vs speed

Unlike sportbikes which are generally considered "aerodynamic" our cruisers are not. When i look at the front fairing on my Vaquero i really like it's looks, but i also realize it is as aerodynamic as a barn door. The addition of the 12" windshield made things worse.

Some things i have noticed out on the road...when i pull in the clutch and start to coast the skoot slows down real quick, this is especially noticed when going into the wind. I as others have posted getting much worse mpg when pushing into a head wind, i can feel the slower acceleration and the need for more throttle to maintain speed.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
46 Posts
46 mpg acurate

That truly is amazing! My 1600 Mean Streak gets around 43 MPG, my KLR 650 gets 47 MPG, my Versys gets 50 MPG, and my Voyager averages 39 MPG. When I compare the bikes the mileages I am getting make sense.

Of course I am not riding on flat straight Florida roads though.
I did a 130 mile poker run this past weekend,
and was showing 46.2 mpg . I filled the tank and it took 2.80 gallons
that relates to 46.42 mpg showing the bikes system is pretty acurate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts