Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, this is my first post here. I have to change the back tyre of my VN800 Classic and I'd like to know your opinion about a question. My VN has several accessories mounted on it and this caused a great weight gain. Then, well, my weight is high too and so the one of my gf.
Well, that tyre must be really tough primarily. Then it must be "glued" to the street, especially in case of rain.

In your opinion, wich is the tyre that might have those 2 characteristics?
Strong enough to resist a heavy weight and very firm in case of wet street?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For grip under any conditions: Avon Venoms. Drawback, $$$, and they don't last very long.

For long life and good performance: Metzeler ME880 Marathons. Drawback: Mine always felt like it wanted to slide out in the rain. It never did, but it felt like it wanted to.

Best of both worlds: Consider the Darkside. A car tire. Sounds nuts, but it's not. I got 9k miles out of my $135 ME880 on my Suzuki VS1400. It still had 3-4k of life left when I took it off, but I didn't want to risk having to change it on a long road trip. Better ride, traction, and handling under all conditions. Absolutely zero slip in the wet. The weight rating is somewhere above 1,200 pounds. And, after 10k miles, it still looks nearly new. Plenty of tread depth remaining.

Oh, and it cost $45. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your answer!
Wich brand and model of car tyre do you suggest for a Vulcan 800 Classic? How does the car tyre reacts in case of doglegs or hairpin bends? I mean, is it safe in most of curves when the bike is bending?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about the Vulcan 800s. My new 1600 Classic is the first Kawasaki v-twin I've ever ridden. What size is the OEM tire?

My last bike, that I featured in the write-up, was a 1999 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder. Stock tire size is 170/80-15. I replaced it with a Kumho PowerStar 758 in 165/80R15. Same size as for the 1970s VW Beetle. Swingarm and fender clearance improved, but visually, the tire looked fatter. Optical illusion, I guess...

To determine a workable tire size for your application, I'd suggest starting at this site: http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/kawasaki-f17. Introduce yourself, read what's there, and ask questions.

With a DS tire on a bike, when you lean in a corner, the tire carcass flexes. The tire never goes up on a corner unless you've got way too much air in it. After the first hundred miles or so, I never gave a second thought to the car tire. I drag hard parts on that bike, and the tire stays where I put it. I wouldn't recommend it if you're trying to drag a knee, but come on. We're riding cruisers here, not sport bikes.

I would suggest that you read this page: http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html. Daniel Meyer does a very good job of explaining things, and presents a lot of information. He's not trying to convince you of anything, and neither am I. I just want to lay it out as a possible option, and tell what worked for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you veru much! I'll give a look at the forum you suggested me.
Bye and have good rides!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Probably late but I've got 7500 miles on my 200 Avon Venom and it looks like I'll get 12k out of it. For a soft compound tire that's up there for a rear tire. Traction is great, just wish it didn't look like a donut.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, finally I bought Metzeler ME880 Marathons and I have to say they changed almost completely my way of driving! Very good performances and a high sensation of safety.
Thank you Wulf for the suggestion.

@Baitis: I tried to look for Avon Venom for my Vulcan 800 Classic bit it seems that they dont's exixt for my bike. Thank you anyway for your suggestion.

Bye

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking for a car tyre to

Hi there Uncle Wulf

What sized tyre is that on your 1600. I've got a 2003 vn1600 needing a new back tyre.

cheers
SideCar

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi there Uncle Wulf

What sized tyre is that on your 1600. I've got a 2003 vn1600 needing a new back tyre.

cheers
SideCar
Mornin' SideCar -

The bike in the picture above is not a 1600. It's a Suzuki VS1400 Intruder.

My current ride is an '06 Vulcan 1600 Classic. It's still wearing the OEM Flintstone sneaker, but not for much longer. Here's what it looks like after 12k miles:

I'll be replacing it Tuesday. The new sneaker candidate is a Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 in 195/60-R16.

Assuming it fits, I expect to get 22k-25k miles out of it. It cost $139 from tire rack, delivered. In comparison, the local !reaper wants $226 + tax for an OEM Flintstone, cash and carry. Installation would be extra, assuming I was fool enough to let them work on my ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Uncle Wulf. Your current tyre looks like mine. I get a car tyre shortly. Thanks for getting back.

cheers
SideCar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts