Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok all you riders tell me your favorite tires and how much mileage you get on them. Thinking about getting a set of Metzlers any thoughts.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
no but not only no but HELL no, I've had to many sets that cup bad.
metzler used to be great when they were german made now I think their in brazil

·
Registered
92 Posts
Michelin Commander II Cruiser Front Tire 130/90B16 73H TL/TT
Michelin Commander II Cruiser Rear Tire 180/65B16 81H TL/TT

Only tire I would put on a bike is a Michelin I have always had great success with this brand and always received about double the mileage of any other tire in the market place. They are I believe a harder compound not for real aggressive riding but for long life and a very nice ride they are exceptional by all means. Trust the fat little man.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm running Metzler 888's front and back. I have no complaints, they have about 8000 km on them and still look new.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Everyone in my riding group has been raving about the Commander IIs. One guy has been able to get 20,000+ miles out of them on his Voyager. I am going to put them on when I am due for tires next spring.

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I seeing a lot of commanders II's and and heard good things of the Elite 3 from goldwing people

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
So my experience is on the 900; but running Dunlops, Metzelers, and Michelin Commander II's, the Michelin's were my favorite. Best handling, longevity, etc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mmmm that is interesting what would you suggest.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Eric, I speaking from a 01 nomad stand point, I don't know what you ride but once my stock stones needed replaced all my friends and buddies said go with metzler so I did, they soon cupped specially the rear. vibrations thru the handlebars too. I thought maybe my pressures are off,can't blame nobody but me right. so I bought another set maintained pressures like a hawk. still cupped, not until then my bros started to complain about their metzlers too,
next set went with Dunlop E3's what a difference, those tires are the best I ran to date. finally sold the ol girl last year, I had since she was new, now on a 14 vaq looks like I'll try the commanders 1st

·
Registered
51 Posts
no but not only no but HELL no, I've had to many sets that cup bad.
metzler used to be great when they were german made now I think their in brazil
I have Metzlers front & back. I noticed hard cupping on the rear and can feel it at highway speeds. This being my first bike in many years, I am a freak about monitoring air pressure & fluids. Based on my research, I will be going with the Michelin Commander II's in a few weeks when I change.

I am still on the fence about going with a CT....but thats a whole different topic.

I ride a 09 Vulcan Classic 1700

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
I am running Avon Cobras. Getting good wear out of them so far. Had a set on my 900 Classic LT and got 14,000 out of the back tire. Just have to make sure to run Avon's recommended pressures. They handle well, too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am running Avon Cobras. Getting good wear out of them so far. Had a set on my 900 Classic LT and got 14,000 out of the back tire. Just have to make sure to run Avon's recommended pressures. They handle well, too.
avon is a damn good tire as well if I remember right, they didn't make my nomad's size. ( in the cobras)

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I never liked the 2 sets of metzlers I have tried either. Would stay with stockers over them no matter what brand it was. I am running a general Altima car tire on back and love it. Wont go back from the darkside. Running Michelin commander 2 up front. Happy with it also. Commander at about 5000 miles. No cupping. Smooth. Altima on rear at 11,000 miles and still looks new. I am not at all easy on the rear tire either. Dynabeads in both.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
does putting the commander tires on does it affect the speedo reading? more accurate? less accurate?
I have the Commander II's on my 2013 VV. According to my Garmin GPS the bike speedometer shows 3-4 mph faster then the GPS. Just put them on, so no ride report yet. Anyway I cant tell the difference from one brand to the other. I look for milage and try to get the most out of whatever I'm running.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts