Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have almost 23k miles on it. I get a lot of front end vibration around 40-50 miles/hr and 80-90/hr. My rear is almost worn out. Any recommendation on tires for Voyager 1700 that can help reduce the vibration? Also, should the front and rear treads be the same?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Tires

I stuck with the Bridgestone tires that came with the bike for my 2nd set, but they also did not last more then 12K. Michelin Commander 2 's were recommended to me when I asked the same question. I went that route on my Nomad and have about 4K on the rear and 2k on the front tire. So far I'm pleased with their performance. Time will tell if I get the same longevity out of them and others have gotten, which other have said to be around 20K. Sizes: front 130/90-16 and rear 180/65-16. I keep the tire pressure at 31 in the front and 38 in the back. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I Run bridgestone also,2nd set on my nad,like em so I stay w them,no vibration, pretty smooth tire
bout 9k out of them

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stuck with the Bridgestone tires that came with the bike for my 2nd set, but they also did not last more then 12K. Michelin Commander 2 's were recommended to me when I asked the same question. I went that route on my Nomad and have about 4K on the rear and 2k on the front tire. So far I'm pleased with their performance. Time will tell if I get the same longevity out of them and others have gotten, which other have said to be around 20K. Sizes: front 130/90-16 and rear 180/65-16. I keep the tire pressure at 31 in the front and 38 in the back. Hope this helps.

How are the Michelin commanders compared to Bridgestone, grip and road noise wise?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Michelin commanders vs Bridgestone

How are the Michelin commanders compared to Bridgestone, grip and road noise wise?
Can't say I've noticed any difference. I'm definitely looking forward to not having to buy tires for a while. I put on 10 to 12K a year.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Where do you recommend buying the tires?
I have found some good deals on Amazon and Motorcycle Superstore but something to consider before buying tires online is if you have a dealership or shop that will install them if you don't plan to do it yourself. Most dealerships in my area won't touch a tire you didn't buy from them anymore. Luckily some will price match online stores though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I switched my Nomad 1600 to Bridgestone dual compound radials. Bike rides and handles better than the stock bias tires.

I wanted the Michelins but they don't make them in the correct sizes.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I switched my Nomad 1600 to Bridgestone dual compound radials. Bike rides and handles better than the stock bias tires.

I wanted the Michelins but they don't make them in the correct sizes.
Correct sizes?

Most Vulcan owners now go with the 180/65-16 on the rear, and a 130/90-16 (also known as a MT90) on the front. Those tires will fit 1500, 1600, or 1700 Nomads, and the Voyager / Vaquero as well. I've had several sets of the Michelin Commander II on my Nomad, and now on my Voyager, and will likely have many more. The MCII on the front is nearing replacement, at 30,000 km's... I'm happy with that mileage.

Having said that... I'm going with Metzler's ME888 next time, just to try them out. I have one on the back already. So far, so good. I'll certainly stick to a dual compound long mileage tire from now on, choosing between the Michelin and the Metzler simply on price and availability.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I have 11,700+ miles on my latest front tire, a Shinko 777HD WWW and it still has about 1/2 its original tread depth. This is my 1st time using this tire, have been using the Commander II. !st tire went 19k miles, 2nd went 14,500. I figure this Shinko to be at least the average of these. Have gotten about 14,500 out of each of the rear Commanders, the 1st started cupping and splitting along the treads, the 2nd, I had a punture shortly after putting it on and just started loosing air, about 3lbs a day, so I replaced it before doing a 1500 mile round trip up north last month. They both had 3-3.5/32 tread left on them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Correct sizes?

Most Vulcan owners now go with the 180/65-16 on the rear, and a 130/90-16 (also known as a MT90) on the front. Those tires will fit 1500, 1600, or 1700 Nomads, and the Voyager / Vaquero as well. I've had several sets of the Michelin Commander II on my Nomad, and now on my Voyager, and will likely have many more. The MCII on the front is nearing replacement, at 30,000 km's... I'm happy with that mileage.
When the stock tire sizes are 170/80-16 rear and 150/80-16 front, I would consider the 180/65-16 for the rear but would not choose a 130/90-16 for the front.

Like I said...Michelin doesn't make the Commander II in sizes that fit correctly.

·
Registered
670 Posts
When the stock tire sizes are 170/80-16 rear and 150/80-16 front, I would consider the 180/65-16 for the rear but would not choose a 130/90-16 for the front.

Like I said...Michelin doesn't make the Commander II in sizes that fit correctly.
You'll find that Kaw changed to the 130 front themselves through the model life of the Nomad... Those of us who followed suit find it drops into corners very much more easily, and feels much more nimble as a result.

But if it's a 150 you must have, you might consider putting a rear tire on the front, turned around. I remember Garry V doing that (with a 130) since the treads are so similar, and reporting the same handling, but with even more longevity.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The main thing I was trying to point out is that the radial tires have made my Nomad ride, turn and brake better than the bias tires.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Peg, what size of 888 are you going to put on the rear?
I have the 180/65-16 on the rear, and recently put the 130/90-16 on the front. Less than 100km on that front tire though, so I'm still riding it very carefully. I like them so far though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts