Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I took my wife along for a 250 mile ride. My bike still has the stock seats, and after the ride she could barely walk. Does anyone have a strong recommendation for comfortable replacement seats for the 2000? I've heard Mustang and Corbin..........if you have tried these I'd appreciate comments, as I am making a decision prior to spring. I'd also appreciate the name/number of the seat in addition to the vendor name. I'm going to lose a passenger if I don't make the swap soon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
seats

I had the same problem with my wife, but it ended up being her short legs.
I ended up raising the floorboards up 2 inches. solved the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
I change my stock seat to a mustang with the added drivers backrest. did a 600 mile ride with no complaints. Before the change after about an hour of riding I would be squirming around trying to find a better position to no avail.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got my seat reupholstered with new foam and super jell inlay and new vinyl outer covering.Cost me $465. Canadian.Haven't had a chance to try it yet but the shop guarantees it will be comfortable.Can't wait till the snow goes away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm a Mustang fan. I've had 'em on my '99 Marauder, '03 Mean Sreak, '05 Nomad, and the first thing I did when I rode my '08 VN2K home was to go online to Dennis Kirk and order Mustang seats for the new Vulcan 2000. They aline your spine and hips correctly so that you are less fatigued at the end of a long day. Momma likes 'em, too!

LEW in Durango

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the Air hawk thing very happy with it feels a bit funny at first but a couple of ajustments in air pressure and its good to go and heaps cheaper than a new seat for me in oz anyway. www.airhawkguy.com.au enjoy the beast

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well all i can say is thank the lord for Mustang seats. The stock seat on these monsters is nothing short of disgraceful and besides that they are very hard on the poor old bum. I had no choice but to change seats as I was often almost in tears after a day in the saddle. It was the best move I ever made. As for gel seats just do not leave th bike in the sun for long as they heat up. Picture this trendsetters, you have parked the bike in a nice main street and gone for a walk, you come back and there are a few very lovely young ladies ogling this wonderous machine, you strut up and swing your leg over trying your best to impress siad ladies. A nano second after you have sat down you have launched yourself off the seat at a million miles an hour and commence to do the funcky chicken calling out in a falsetto voice words that should not be printed here (Jerry Lee Lewis and Great balls of fire come to mind ) and when you finally have a look in your trousers you find a very singed, sore and red set of wedding tackle. The thought NO CHILDREN HERE crosses my mind and the afore mentioned young ladies are wetting themselves laughing. The reason for this is simple gel seats heat up and stay hot for quite some time. I think a Mustang seat with a sheepskin cover is the go, they look good, and are practical .

Cheers and beers.

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Georgine,
Had the seat redone at Calgary seat Cover -#4 ,4519 12 st n.e Calgary.
They were very helpful and new what I needed.The guy I dealt with (Darren)had the same tailbone issues .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mustang seats are the way to go. They are worth every penney! My wife can also tell a huge difference between the two. I put my stock seats back on during the winter but come spring, summer and fall its all mustang.

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had jel put in my seat. It added some miles before the discomfort set in. I ordered a mustang seat and its on the way!!! I think the problem with the stock seat is the "shape" of the seat, as much as the materials in it. The after market seats (for the driver) have a cutout for your tailbone. On closer examination the stock seat sweeps up right at the pressure point. I paid $150 for the install of jels. Just a thought. I love this sight, Sorry if I babble too much.
Good riding and to all a good night!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
"Cost me $465"

Ouch, this is about what I paid for my Mustang wide touring saddle, and the larger sissy bar pad. Imho, can't beat Mustang for all day comfort.

C

·
0 Posts
Is there any one that has a Mustang seat and doesn't like it? I know I have to do something, just can't decide what to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been there

I can speak with some authority on the seat issue, at least from 2 guys opinion. We just returned from a 3000 mile ride through the mountains, canyons and deserts of CO, UT, NV and AZ. The stock seat would have killed us, we both put on mustang wide seats with backrests. The guy who went with me also on a beast is 6'9" 325lbs and I am 5'7" 160. In the cooler weather we both rode 400 miles with little problem , however when the temp got hotter and we were a few days into the trip we both got terrible butt ache after 60 miles or so which was resolved by a 10 minute stop and walk. The seats are a great improvement but are not perfect, however, the good news is like everything you add to your bike they are expensive. I would recommend them but just keep in mind they are not as good as a touring seat like the voyager, gold wing or ultra classic. IMO

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
ME...ME...!! I even started a thread on a different forum to give some balance to this Mustang love fest. Not everyone loves them.....

http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/cruisers/44701-mustang-seat-did-not-work.html

anyway, I tried meancitycycle mods.... and then sprang for a Mustang Vintage Wide Touring seat.... and really didnt like it. It sat hard and hit my tail on something firm over modest bumps....and cut off circulation under my legs. I have been an airhawk fan ever since... but just sprung for a real custom seat built by Russell cycle products..called the Daylong seat. I should get it in a few days and will write it up after a bit of breakin....

good luck..
Annie

Is there any one that has a Mustang seat and doesn't like it? I know I have to do something, just can't decide what to do.

C

·
0 Posts
Thanks Tallannie, you probably just saved me some bucks. I couldn't decide on what to do with the seat. I knew I wasn't going to jump up and buy a mustang without sitting on one and hopefully for more than a few minutes. I had to do something so I ordered the butt buffer which will be put to the test this weekend on our trip to N.C. I just know I had to have something more than the stock seat.

Will be looking forward to your review of the Russell cycle products seat.

Ride Safe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts