Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stereo that I am installing, and need key powered 12V. Where is the best place to get it? If I get it from the headlight, how do i know what wires are the 12V hot and ground? any other suggestions on good places to get it? is the horn 12V powered?

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Wish I could be more help, I called a dealer the other day to ask about a wire to hook up an accessory plug (cigarrette lighter). He told me to get a "keyed brown wire" which I found with my test light in front of the battery box. That's when I found the accessory plugs, and one is constantly hot. I opted to go with that so I didn't have to splice into any wires. As you can probably tell by now, I know just enough to really screw up my bike, so I have to be careful. lol, If you try the accessory plugs behind the gas tank, the one with the white/blue wire is hot, the black/yellow wire is ground I guess. THESE ARE HOT CONSTANTLY, NOT KEYED.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
from reading the other post, Poncho sounds like he understands the wiring system pretty good, maybe he'll chime in. I thought his explaination sounded great, it was just way over my head. I have no idea what a bullet connector is, mine had yellowish rubbery covers with a little flat blade sticking up inside. Last time I tried to wire something was 30 years ago, hooking up speakers or swapping car radios with my friends.....all you needed then was a pocket knife and a roll of electrical tape. Now we're all sophisticated, I feel so left behind.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Never had a 900 but my 500 has two sets of always hot and ground connections provided, presumably for future use like you're looking to use. One set is in the headlight can and one under the seat. They are larger sized bullet connectors on both with rubber boots around them. Bullet connectors are the round style of connector that plug into each other like the mini bullet connectors on your turn signals. It is completely possible somebody may have change those connectors to some other type at one point as needed to fit whatever device they were hooking up there. All you need is a $2 test light from walmart or auto parts store to clip to a ground and touch to those connectors to find out if they are always hot "meaning with the key switch on the off position", or just hot when your switch is on. Obviously it can be advantageous to have an always hot feed to your accessories but if you leave them on will drain your battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts