Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys kinda new around here. I am looking at doing the memphis batwing for my 09 900 custom SE. wher is the best place to buy one at with all the installation materials ( brackets )? And does anyone make an inner shell for it to mound a radio and speakers in it?

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Memphis shades sets the retail price on its products .. i got mine from meancycles.com .. no liner is available.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got mine through a local dealer (upstate NY), who was having a 10% off sale for orders through their web site. I got the part #'s from the MS web site, and just sent it to the dealer. With that discount plus no shipping charges it was as good as any prices I found through the web. I also really like the guys at the local shop, so that made the decision easier.

One note, which you might already know... the brackets for the batwing are the same as those for the MS tombstone fairings. When I gave the dealer the part #, it came up on their computer as "MS fats/slim" or something like that, but they're the same brackets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm would a HD insert in to the shell of the batwing?

I really want a street glide so I can put a radio in the fairing but if all I am getting is the shell and can't do anything else with it thats gonna stink.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The MS batwing is essentially a wide, misshapen windshield. You can get a tri-pouch that bolts on where the windshield mounts, and you can get a Hogtunes MSA-1 stereo system that does the same. But no inner fairing unless you make/adapt something yourself.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If you want a stereo fairing you have one of three options. Ranging from cheap and easy to expensive in complicated!

Cheapest/Easiest:

Memphis batwing with one of a couple of stereo options. Hogtunes makes one and I THINK memphis shades makes a stereo. It's just a simple, cheap stereo. (Kind of like a glorified iPod dock you'd buy at wal-mart. Better audio quality and more volume than that, but similar controls and features) Don't know that it even has an FM tuner. Mounts to the inside of the fairing. Run ya $300+ on top of the cost of the fairing.

Middle priced / most complicated

Several people have been successful in taking Harley-Davidson fairing and modifying them to put them on their bikes. This is not an off-the-shelf option. You'll have to get the fairing (VERY expensive if bought new, best off finding it used. Sometimes you can find them off of wrecked Harley's. If you're going to have it painted, look for one with some minor damage like scratches, then you can get it even cheaper, and since you're already having it painted, it doesn't matter.) Again, looked used, if you're going to pay the price for a brand-new FLH fairing, you might as well buy a stereo fairing that will already have the brackets and things for you and not need modifying for the same (or less) cost.

I've seen ONE (on a Mean Streek) go as far as to take the H-D bars so that he could install the entire fairing (the bars run under the fairing). Most, however, the cut off the lower and middle parts of the inner fairing, build a way to mount a stereo, and then just install speakers in the speaker mounts on the fairing! This is the route I might take one day... dunno though. One of those projects I'd start on if I found a killer deal.

Also, mounting the fairing will absolutely require custom made brackets. It's not designed for a Vulcan!

Finally, the most expensive / still pretty easy way:

A couple of companies actually make stereo fairings. Tsuyaku, Hoppe Industries, Wide Open Customs, just to make a few. These are right around or over (or WELL over) $1,000 unpainted. They come in a variety of styles, most of them are 'batwing' style, some have 4 5 1/4" speakers mounted with a marine stereo deck, others use 6x9 speakers, one from Tsuyaku even has a big touch-screen GPS receiver mounted in the middle with two 6x9's and an amplifier. They are definitely out there. Most of them seam to use memphis shades brackets. Basically, you get the memphis shades brackets for their fairing for your bike, and then these stereo fairings mount up to that.

Another option, if you just want music and don't necessarily want fairing music, is just to go with your Batwing fairing and install some handle-bar mounted speakers. You can go as cheap as $50 for a cheap-o system from shark (mixed reviews, I've got one, it's a cheapie, isn't so great, but it gets the job done for something I don't want to invest a lot into), or spend again in the $300 range for one of the better ones. Won't look as nice as a fairing mounted stereo but it'll get the job done.

This is by far the best Harley-Fairing job I've ever seen. It's on a Vulcan meanstreak (which has handlebar mounted gauges, that he moved up into the gauge slots). It took a lot of work and fabricating I'm sure to make the fairing work without having to trim and cut a lot out of the inner fairing like most people do (inner fairing sticks 'in' quite a bit, it's not a universal fairing after all, it's designed for one bike)

That's one of those things where, if you're creative, good with tools, and have a little ingenuity, you can get something very unique for a fraction of the price of any off-the-shelf option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts