Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
that looks like a neat bike lift you have there, that blue one, what is that?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Best oil for your bike?? - one that is called out in the owners manual to be used in your engine!!!
Simple!

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Agree with vulcandoc. Any quality motorcycle oil that meets the specifications outlined in the owners manual. Most important thing about oil is to change it enough.

·
Registered
2020 VN900D Classic LT
195 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 V900 Custom
46 Posts
I have a Kawasaki, so I use Kawasaki oil :) 10-40 Synthetic. (Actually Kawasaki doesn't produce oil, they purchase it from one of the major oil companies and put it in their own bottles).
I agree 100%, I use the recommended oil and filter (Kawi S4 Synthetic). I've had the bike for 10 years and never a single issue related to oil/filter.
On a side note: I worked for 40+ years in various refineries including a stint at the Lubricant plant at the Scotford Shell refinery. We refined engine oil for over 60 different multi-national brands, many of which you'd recognise at a glance on the shelves of the usual stores (Napa, Wallmart, Can-Tires, Harley, Honda, etc.) IT IS THE SAME OIL AND IT CAME FROM THE SAME FRACTIONATOR. The only variations between these brands are minute additives such as detergents, ash content and mandatory quality requirements to comply with SAE certification, all of which are added at the bottling plants as per the specific brand requirements.
My last point is that if you follow the stated oil change intervals recommended by the Bike manufacturer it makes next to no difference which brand you use because the oil will not deteriorate in 5 K or 10 K miles. In our refinery labs we tested these same oils for tens of thousands of miles/hours-usage equivalent with little adverse effects despite unbelievable operating conditions (very high temps and high loads).
It all comes down to your comfort level, what you're used to and to price of the brand.

·
Registered
984 Posts
calden - I believe you. And am not loyal to any brand/type.

BUT you post blasphemy on a bike site about oil!
Do you really think ANYONE will believe you or make any change to their theory about the oil they use or the change interval!?!?!?!
SOME even claim to be able to feel a smoother ride or smoother shifting with a oil they use!

Just had to add the above PLEASE post back often about such oil related stuff!
I love it!

·
Premium Member
2011 V900 Custom
46 Posts
BUT you post blasphemy on a bike site about oil!
Do you really think ANYONE will believe you or make any change to their theory about the oil they use or the change interval!?!?!?!
One last point: Other than a catastrophic oil leak (very rare you have to admit) when have you ever heard of an engine failure due to one type of oil or another? In fact, years ago, there was a commercial on TV where they ran an engine mounted on a test stand after draining all the oil. The engine ran and ran and ran at full RPMs to prove that the lubrication coating the cylinder walls lasted well after all the oil had drained, by which time of course the low oil pressure sensor would shut it down.
Oil companies have unlimited budgets for marketing and advertising, just look at the stickers on the sides of NASCAR cars. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yea I remember that ad.
If I remember right it was Gastrol oil.
Drained it and the damn thing ran. Not sure if they stated how long it ran without oil.
And you thought you NEEDED oil in your engine!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Wait so your saying all those Progressive, Farmers, Toyota, Honda, H & R block, ect .. ads mean that the companies have a HUGH amount to spend on ads.
AND that they are getting all that money from INFLATED rates they charge???
NO!
Kind of like buying generic brand medicine rather than name brand. Same stuff just dont have to pay extra for all the marketing.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
I don't ride much so one oil/filter change in the Spring to start the riding season is enough for the year, one of the maintenance tasks I enjoy doing along with rad fluid change every 2 years, brake fluid changes every 2 years I don't enjoy that much

·
Premium Member
2011 V900 Custom
46 Posts
I don't ride much so one oil/filter change in the Spring to start the riding season is enough for the year, one of the maintenance tasks I enjoy doing along with rad fluid change every 2 years, brake fluid changes every 2 years I don't enjoy that much
Wow, you do way more than me. An oil/filter change once a year, K&N air filter clean & lube in the Spring and take the wheels to the dealer for new tires every 2 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran Walmart reg.15w40 oil and a supertech filter in my vn800c for years ( 55k miles). No problems, clutch, leaks engine noises,..nothing.

·
Premium Member
2011 V900 Custom
46 Posts
I ran Walmart reg.15w40 oil and a supertech filter in my vn800c for years ( 55k miles). No problems, clutch, leaks engine noises,..nothing.
You know, I always wondered how people can tell if there are new unusual engine noises, baring the howls of a blown stator or some such. My bike is very noisy to begin with (compared to my previous bikes) and it's apparently perfectly normal for the V900's!
Just saying...

61 - 74 of 74 Posts